Vacuum sealing food.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 05, 2008 at 23:08
ThreadID: 56340 Views:4081 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, manual or electric units: which draws the greater negative pressure, and why don't more people use the "cheap" but versatile 'Pump n Seal' unit? Is it merely a lack of advertising on their behalf? S'got me buggered.
Thanks eh.
Jeff H.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:11

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 00:11
Hi Jeff,
I'd never tried or even considered the manual units, but just looked the pump n seal upHERE.

The amount of vacuum that can be generated by the manual units (28"Hg) is not much different to the electric units (24" Hg).

The manual unit looks to be made for rigid containers, but say you can use it with ziplock bags or freezer bags. I'm not sure how this is done - how do you maintain the strong vacuum on a ziplock bag while you seal it???? These bags are nowhere near as thick as the cryovac bags, so may not last in the fridge of a 4wd, but are probably OK protected inside a plastic container.

The electric units use the special thatched cryovac bags because the thatching allows air to be easily drawn from the bottom of the bag and past the contents. The bags cost about 30c each last time I bought a pack.

The manual unit doesn't heat seal the plastic bag.

So yeah, I'm not sure of the real differences, but I like to have my meat protected in thick bags and heat sealed.

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 296900

Follow Up By: Scrubcat - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 15:58

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 15:58
G`day Phill,
Some electric versions have a flat tube that protrudes into the top of the bag to suck out the air and is retracted to enable the heat seal , this type can use plain bags i.e. zip top, plain light to heavier plastic etc.
The other version has a recess across the machine just in front of the sealing element which you place the top of the bag over , the vacuum is right across this recess and the seal is performed while vacuum is being maintained. This type must use the bags with the "hatched pattern " on the inside of the bag on one side.
I have both types having bought the cheaper flat tube one first because of the cheaper price and availability of the bags but found it to be a bit hit and miss regarding the amount of and retention of vacuum .
I have since bought a much more expensive type made in Italy from a Butchers supply business $450.00 and it only uses the hatched type bags which are more expensive but better quality and VERY much improved results.
Probably should have taken notice of the old saying something like "the first purchase should also be the last" anyway we learn the hard way.
Regards ,
Scrubcat
FollowupID: 563041

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 21:37

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 21:37
Scrubcat,
We may have the same unit. Ours is an Orved brand Eco Vacuum Pro and we bought it from Master Butchers in Adelaide.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 563103

Reply By: howie - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:39

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:39
never seen the manual ones before either.
looks like you draw the air out of the original jar through a pin-hole in the lid and quickly place one of their stickers over it to maintain the vacuum. ok if the jar doesn't leak or implode.
i have an tube attachment on my sunbeam vacuum that i could try on zip-lock bags but ,although you can buy some heavy duty ones now, i would stick with the vacuum & heat seal bags for long trips.
the manual might be alright for lunches and 2/3 day trips.
on a long trip i think i would sleep easier knowing my food was in a proper heat sealed cyovac bag.
AnswerID: 296907

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:51

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 18:51
Thanks for that fellers.
Despite it's lack of versatility, your comments point strongly toward an electric unit.
Maybe a bloke should buy both eh? Both store food, but there really isn't much over-lap is there?
Appreciated ,
Jeff.
FollowupID: 563061

Sponsored Links