Turbo for a 2h motor

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:10
ThreadID: 56348 Views:6921 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all been a long time since i was here found that my membership has expired. Did a search of the archives in relation to putting a turbo on my 2h troopy but couldn't find much. Would like to know what turbo system i should install and a turbo installer in the brisbane area.

Regards......Stephen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rock Ape - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 15:54

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 15:54
Steve,
Some of the 2h motors turbo well and have no problems, others are dogs (guess what I had a dog). Some do not make a lot of power and some overheat.

It might be worth considering the 12HT motor if you can get a recon as they are great, or consider fitting a 1HZ, although the cost of switching over is considerable as everything is on the other side.

Have a good one.

AnswerID: 296992

Follow Up By: stephen looking - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:21

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:21
Thanks for ya reply just curious what sort of turbo did you put on, and what problems did you encounter
I have meet a few turbo 2h owners and they had no problems. The motor that i have was reconed by kyatt motors prior to me buying the car the motor is about 47k old.
And i would love the 12HT know of any around.

Cheers...Steve
FollowupID: 563046

Follow Up By: Rock Ape - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:50

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:50
Steve,

The system was from AXT. I don't blame them for any problems.

Turbo was water cooled(can't remember the maker) but that was not the problem.

The engine was in good nick but would not make horsepower, it also would overheat when loaded, chased the problem for ages and then gave up cause it cost to much.

Everything possible was done to it and it still was a dog.

If your engine has get up and go now and doesn't overheat it will probably be ok.

Remember! if you have it done, don't overfuel it on hills, just drop it back a gear and tread lightly on the go pedal.

Hope this has helped

The Ape
FollowupID: 563052

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 21:58

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 21:58
I had a DTS turbo on an already old 2H.

I should have put in a 6.2 chev.

I would have had better performance, and ultimatley spent the same!

It taught me a lesson, however, regarding trying to squeeze hp out of a motor that just wasn't built for it. I know others that have done it with no problems, maybe i was just unlucky!
AnswerID: 297068

Follow Up By: stephen looking - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:44

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:44
Cheers Dave i am slowly making my way up and i am still interested in your driver training courses.
Just trying to get a few things done to the car i will give ya a hollar when i get closer and can judge dates better.

Cheers....Steve
FollowupID: 563342

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:54

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 13:54
Stephen,

I have a AIT on my 60 series Cruiser 2H which are no longer made. They are basically a Garrett T3 with the manifolds by AIT. I origonally had overheating problems both on straights & hills for years & tried everything untill I really got fed up & went to a 4WD place. They replaced the Viscous Fan Hub & then the Thermostat & it still overheated according to temp gauge. They decided to look at the Temp Sender & found that it had lost all it's outside caseing. Put in a new one & it now has very rarely gone past a 1/4 on the hottest day with the air on. So one can now realize that it never had a overheating problem in the first place & the fan hub was good also. Power wise mine goes like a express train (245,000 K's on clock) & will pull the Toowoomba Range in 4th (all bar the last bit whereapon 4th is too high & 3rd is too low) with a load of gear, 12 case's of beer, & 200ltr's dieso in drums. Once in 5th gear it stays there & I very rarely change down except for towns on a trip between Toowoomba & Cunnamulla & beyond. You won't regret putting one on.
AnswerID: 297170

Follow Up By: stephen looking - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:55

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:55
Thanks Shane Can you recommend an installer in brisbane, also what do you think your truck would weigh loaded and what sort of economy do you get i currently get 1000k from 140L.
Also if you can find one a split box is good for the hills i know what you mean when you say 4th too high and 3rd too low.

Cheers.......Steve
FollowupID: 563343

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 13:28

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 13:28
The best I can tell you is that it averages 15ltrs 100 & it is consistantly consistant with these. I have had lower figures depending how you drive. To give you idea on power, a mate had a 2H auto 60 series non turbo & on a rolling start over a 2k distance he was a blur in the distance. I ended up after a further period pulling up thinking he had broken down. Cannot recommend a Installer in Brisbane myself as the Turbo on mine was installed in Townsville some years back. Mine was fitted with a oil cooler which was sitting in front of the radiator, But I took it off after I was told it was not necessary as the 2H has oil galleries to cool the engine oil.
FollowupID: 563393

Follow Up By: Shane (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:01

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:01
Stephen,

Might also add that I run a 2 1/2" exhaust !
FollowupID: 563514

Reply By: Davo_60 - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:05

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:05
Hello Stephen,

I have had similar results to Shane but mine still gets a bit warm when working hard but never overheats. Have removed an aftermarket oil cooler as per Shane's description. EGT's can be an issue if not monitored. Mine puts out heaps of power but I can reach high EGT'S under load if I don't take it out of 4th (Auto). In 3rd with the converter locked up it is a powerhouse. I get can get down to 12L/100k on the highway and 13-15l/100k around town but I take it fairly easy. I have 3" exhaust and the Autos run the 12ht (minus the boost compensator) mechanically governed injection pump which is better for the turbo mod (so I have been told). Hope this helps.

Dave
AnswerID: 297448

Sponsored Links