Diesel/LPG Systems

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 15:44
ThreadID: 56363 Views:2383 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
With Diesel hitting $1.60/Lt in Adelaide and the possible termination of the Governments $2000 rebate towards the cost of fitting an LPG System am seriously looking at installing an LPG System into my Turbo Diesel Cruiser.

I would appreciate comments on what Diesel/LPG System is the best eg Sequent2 or D Gas or...etc, downside comments ie the LPG burns the injectors and comments on my justification calculation.

It appears that these systems give 20% more power and fuel savings so if the install costs around $4,000 with a 25Lt Gas tank, I need to have $2,000 ($4,000 less Gov Rebate) in Diesel savings before I break even. Towing our van at around 25Lts to the 100Ks with the LPG System installed and 20% saving I should get down to 20Lts per 100Ks.

At 32 Cents a Lt saving on Diesel at $1.60, I will need to buy (2000/.32) 6250Lt or 31,250 K's to breakeven. Of course if the install cost less.......

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: al - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:11

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:11
i have a 1995 turbo diesel 4.2 patrol, motor was rebuilt 30000k's had gas installed for 14months can find marginal increase in power fuel economy unchanged . injectors and pump have been done in recent time. have had the car on dyno twice and been back to gas place several times for adjustment makes no significant difference. But you read other peoples experience and there vehicle goes a lot better just my 2 cents worth.
regards
al
AnswerID: 296995

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:24

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:24
i don't think anyone puts gas on their diesel for the economy, more for the extra power it gives. maybe your calculations are correct but the price of LPG is going to keep going up and this will make the K"s more unreachable to break even.
cheers shane.
AnswerID: 296996

Reply By: 96 GXL 80 series - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:44

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 16:44
Plus you need a Wheel carrier for the Spare as it will have to go on the rear or on the roof rack.
AnswerID: 297000

Reply By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:12
Thanks for your Replies:

Re the Location of the Gas Tank, saw an 80 Series in Adelaide with the Gas Tank underneath, the vehicle parallel to the running board on the drivers side, it was about 90cm long by about 25cm in diam eg about 25 Lt enough for 2 tanks of Diesel.

My understanding is that with more power especially when towing the van, you can take your foot off the accelerator a bit hence giving you the economy.

Also understand that its more beneficial on Turbo's not straight Diesel. But am worried that the extra power could impact my engine that has done 300,000.

Unfortunately don't believe that my calculation above took in the cost of the Gas.

Al, unless I get some other positive experiences, based on your experience, I don't believe LPG is for me.

Peter
AnswerID: 297017

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:56

Sunday, Apr 06, 2008 at 19:56
Hi Peter,
Have been reading about it for some time.
Recently I used a tiltray and he happened to tell me he used LPG injection. Could not quantify benefits but ssaid there was a fuel saving as well as more more power and torque - one gear higher on most hills etc. They are impressed with it and are about to convert a new truck thay are buying. They use this system called Grunt binary diesel or something similar. The owner of Landcruiser Park at Jimna also uses this system according to their web page:

www.teamgreenautogas.com.au/web%20-%20truck%20brochure.pdf

Also I saw an article a few weeks ago in the newspaper saying VISY recycling are trialing it on some of their fleet. They are using a system called gfsi. try web page:

www.gfsi.com.au

I have also heard (second hand info) that a system called Ecoshot is quite good as well. Also have a look at Ecomix as well.

I have no doubt there are benefits its just deciding which system is best for your vehicle. If you make an assumtion that half the net cost can be allocated to achieve extra power and torque and half to fuel savings (Costs) and extra range you can probably recover your outlay in about 12 months of driving (if you do 20,000km a year). Thats how I am looking at it anyway.
Let us know via the forum how you get on.

Cheers,
Glen
AnswerID: 297031

Sponsored Links