Raiden Winch - ebay

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 00:15
ThreadID: 56384 Views:7781 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday, I have purchased and used the Raiden 12000 lb electric low mount winch from a store on ebay, I have used it too, it did the job.
I have a 98 GU 2.8 turbo.

Was just wondering has anyone had any issues with this winch?

Ofcourse paying $450 for a winch to pull a GU patrol out of situations is a fair ask, but they seem to be built just like everything else in the economy range of winches (and would seem there is no great report of common performance failure). Im just hoping the gears/brake have been made to a high enough quality to ensure it wont let go and see me skating down a hill.

When I did need to use it it was totally submerged ( :-S ) but still seems to be working fine, although a little noisy. I have also had to give the spool in power solenoid a tap with a small block of wood.
I would assume this means the contacts may have been slightly welded together on the inside. I will always use a snatch block from now on to minimise the load on it. Also when I fitted it up the earth for the controls needed a bit of rework to make it earth to the rest of the truck.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:35

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:35
Ben,
Whilst it is work I would consider stripping the winch down since it has been underwater and also given your comments re the contacts.

Even the good winches are not well sealed and if there is some residual water inside corrosion is a given and chances are in a few months when you need it there will just be terminal noises.

At the very least run it in and out a few times, preferably with a load so that it get warmed up. This will help dry things out.

Some may think this is unnecessary but having pulled few apart over the years I know how good the waterproofing is (not).

Generic solenoid packs can be bought at a reasonable price. There was a thread on here some time ago.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 297120

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 17:52

Monday, Apr 07, 2008 at 17:52
If the winch is brand new & making noises already with solenoids that have to be tapped after one use I wouldn't be going anywhere that relies on it for a recovery. These symptoms don't normally arise until 5 years of steady use!
Reports of the cheaper winches so far on several forums have shown teeth shearing off, mounting blocks tearing away & solenoids welded together. Bit of luck if you do get a good one it appears. They often don't come with sufficient grease or waterproofing so now that it's been submersed it may be prudent to strip it down and clean it out as it may seize.
Not saying that your winch wont do the job you intend for it but I could never see the point of buying a cheap brand that often one has to rely on to support the weight of the car.
Cheers Craig.....
Ramsey 9500lb
AnswerID: 297223

Reply By: obee - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:21

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:21
Apart from the snatch block, I wonder if using a snatch strap would be a good idea. I think a bit of spring will allow the tension to build up rather than come on sudden. The idea is to assist the wheels to do the job rather than put all the effort on the winch anyway.

Owen
AnswerID: 297342

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 17:13

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 17:13
Not a good idea for two reasons Owen. Regular snatch straps are rated at 8 tonne (Breaking Strain) & a 12,000lb winch double blocked has the capacity to snap a strap before it stalls. If it did break, the recoil of the snatch strap together with the weight of D shackle & block would smash through the car. Tree trunk protectors are much stronger (10+ tonne) & don't stretch near as much minimising any recoil should something let go.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 563418

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 17:42

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 17:42
Using the drive train or wheels to assist with winching is also fraught with danger due to the vehicle gaining traction then slipping again thus shockloading the winch and cables with sometimes disastrous results.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 563421

Follow Up By: Ben83 - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 18:06

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 18:06
No worries, I urked at writing that knowing full well snatch straps are basically bungee cords for cars, I will use a none stretching tow strap rated at 24000lb's at least.

Thanks guys
FollowupID: 563426

Reply By: Ben83 - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 18:30

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 18:30
I spose I better pull it off and pull it apart and take photos of it all for your viewing, I am as dubient about this winch as anyone else, but for $450 it was a bit of a laughing gamble, I still have the turfoir and doubt I will be using the Raiden on slopes.

Im quite happy to use the winch normally until something breaks, I have the turfoir for backup. Wow 80 kilo of winching equipment I carry around inc. the Raiden :-S The turfoir was given to me, and the elec winch is easier to use.
AnswerID: 297408

Sponsored Links