Fresh Water Kimberly region

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 22:10
ThreadID: 5639 Views:1714 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Where's the best supplies for drinking quality water along the Gibb Riv Rd and Kalumbaru / Mitchell Plateau. Is it freely available or do you have to be pretty conservative ??
We will be in the area for about 5-6 weeks.
Tks for your thoughts.Carpe Diem
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:30

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:30
Lots of those big pale blue jerries from Big W I think Cocka :-(
AnswerID: 23438

Reply By: Gordon - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:38

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:38
Cocka
My wife and I had no worries with a 45 L tank filling up at camping areas / service stations. I don't know about Edward River to Kalumbaru. We did Fitroy Crossing to Wyndham with side trips to Old Mornington Camp, Mitchell Falls and Diggers Rest. Our 45 L would last the two of us about 6 days but we never let it get that low.
AnswerID: 23456

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 13:22

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 13:22
Lat year Mitchell Plateau had a creek but it's not for drinking purposes - only cooking. Other than that we never experienced any problems
FollowupID: 15664

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:21

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:21
Allyn were you able to source drinking water in the region or did you take it all in ??Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 15678

Follow Up By: Allyn (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:30

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 15:30
Took plenty with us as sometimes you're required to go a couple of days but had no problems filling up when required.
FollowupID: 15679

Reply By: Member - John- Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 19:32

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 19:32
Since I work in the Kimberley I carry plenty of trustworthy water at all times. I have a 50l tank filled with town water but rarely drink it except boiled for tea. I take my own rainwater in a large plastic container and/or buy large bottles of drinking water from supermarkets, etc. I use the later ONLY for drinking and it can last me a week.

Creek and river water is fine for washing only. Never drink the ground water without boiling for a few minutes and do not trust bore water or any water from tanks in aboriginal communities or outback roadhouses as their water treatment regime maybe a bit unreliable or none existant and/or unsealed tanks are full of dead birds, etc.

Also be particularly careful in well used camping sites that your properly washed hands do not contact bits of metal, tables, wood, dirt, etc that can be recently contaminated with the bacteria that upsets your stomach for weeks if left untreated. Not to mention what animals who scavange around camp sites at night leave behind. Clean hands and careful food and utensil handling is essential in these well used places .... I know from hard experience.

JohnS

AnswerID: 23508

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 22:14

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 22:14
All that is really useful info 'n good tips. Thanks all.
I just wasnt sure about the reliability of supply of good fresh.
I also like the idea of the Noble cask water as a backup, also minimises rubbish.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 15708

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 20:19

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 20:19
Hey Cocka,
when you going GRR, might bump into you.Gibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15845

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:16

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:16
Hi Chris
We should get away from Syd in a couple of weeks. Head up through the channel country to The Alice/Tanami/Halls/Broom/ Cape Levique then GRR/Kalumbaru/MtElizabeth to Walcott Inlet+all the deviations eastwards along GRR. Should be in the area abt 6-7 wks. We allow about 6 days to Broom. So should be there roughly 3 wks from now.
We usually travel with open channel 40 on both 27 &47 mg radios. Does this suit the local conditions ??
I just put a special post on the forum.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 15852

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 23:20

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 23:20
Almost same as our route up there being Broome - Cape Leveveque (Kooljamon resort)- gibb river-mitchell plateaux/kalumburu then on the rest of it to Elquestro.
We're travelling with another 4x4 and we usually operate on 22 AM and 22 UHF.
Conditions won't cause any difference - their range will be same as the city except you're not likely to get repeater stations up on the GRR for the UHF. I don't know if your AM has upper & lower sidebands but I'm 99% guaranteed to pick up eastern states users between say 10am and 3 pm during the day on the lower band. Obviously you'd always have a sat phone or HF radio + EPIRB for safety.
I'll keep an eye out for you, we'll be on GRR roughly between the 30th July and 16th of August.
We'll look out for your NSW plates and say g'day if we spot you.
regardsGibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15911

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 23:35

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 23:35
Thanks for the sound comments John.

Chris it's always good to be able to put a face to a name and share mutual experiences around a camp fire. We will have among other things an Oz tent strapped on the top which is fairly recognisable also.
I'm a bit intriegued as to why you choose ch 22. It is a regognised dedicated channel for telementry/telecommand operations.
Also my 27mg is SSB, but whilst I understand what it is I'm not fully understanding it's operation when you refer to " ..... on the lower band".
Ch 15-40 are SSB operative with 16 & 35 designated "call" chns.
I generally use 40 on the 47mg as the "road' chn.
Could you explain the 'lower band" comment.

Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 15963

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:39

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:39
Hi cocka,
We have a UHF Uniden Sundowner radio and a Uniden AM USB/LSB radio.

In regards to using 22 UHF we generally use it as we tend to chatter alot and don't want to upset the truckies and other users on the highway channel ie 40.
I wasn't aware of the telementry/command issue as nobody has ever made us aware...or we've never interupted them.

If it's busy we just up or down a channel.

With the AM C.B. as you probably know is the old citizen's band line of sight type stuff. On our Cbs though there is a switch for upper and lower sideband - these bands actually skip off the ionosphere and as previously stated best transmissions for myself are late morning to mid arvos.

I'm no einstein when it comes to radios but I would suggest looking up the following: this is a similar set to what I've got; www.premiere-electronics.net/uniden_radios and look up post ID 14536 (old soldier).
Not being ignorant but I've heard some talk about the type of radio you have got (a new version incorporating UHF and AM bands?) I've yet to have a gander at them because they're confusing to me.

RegardsGibb River in July.
Chris
FollowupID: 15966

Sponsored Links