Hugh/Finke River to Horseshoe Bend

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 20:48
ThreadID: 56446 Views:1990 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip that partly involves driving down the Hugh River bed from Alice Well to the Finke River and then down the Finke and getting out of the river at Horseshoe Bend.

My question is that when I did this trip in 1994 a farmer/grazier at Horseshoe Bend was not too happy about us getting out of the river and entering his property.

Has anyone got any up-to-date- info on this part of the world.
Regards
Parso
2012 Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series Sahara.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:45

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:45
Gday,
"upto date info" ...sort of?

The bit about getting out of the river makes me wonder? (the river isnt no mans land!)
Private property is private property. Im not sure what sort of law you were useing to drive through last time , but if he didnt like you then he sure as $hit wont like you trying it again.
Try ringing and asking??

Cheers
AnswerID: 297463

Follow Up By: Parso - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:58

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2008 at 21:58
Hairy,
Relax mate, we were on a 'tag a-long' and the leader, probably one of the most experienced desert trip leader in OZ at the time, heard that there may be a problem. He had been through there something like 15 times - no issue.
This bloke had set up a camel farm and had not told anyone of his issues.
We spoke with the guy and he let us proceed. No problem.
Horseshoe Bend is an old station that had never had issues of people traversing the property before that.

My policy is to always request permission! All I was asking is if anyone had any further recent info, not 14 year old stuff.
Parso

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 563469

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:30

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:30
Parso ,

I was talking to the owners of the property at Horseshoe Bend last year and they seemed very nice and friendly . I am surprised that this occurred .

I don't think it's a camel farm , he just rounds up wild camels a couple of times a year and ships them overseas as a sideline .

Good manners say that you should maybe ring them before hand . This would make you a welcome guest instead of a possible annoyance .

Willie .
AnswerID: 297536

Follow Up By: Parso - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:15

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:15
Willie
I agree that we should telephone.
Problem is, what is the name of the property and/or his name?
I will need to do a bit of research.
Regards
Parso

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 563528

Sponsored Links