which Garmin GPS for simple tracking/routing?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 04:16
ThreadID: 56457 Views:3147 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
g'day GPS cracks

does anybody know which Garmin GPS might fit?
I like to use it for city and 4x4 using City Navigator NT and for off road track points to store or to upload from pc.

good would be a mobile or hand device with voice in color, which tells me simply left or right at the track points

which of the simple Garmin devices could do that?

Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:40

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 07:40
GPSMap60Cx + City Navigator (for around town routing) + Tracks for Australia when in the bush
AnswerID: 297510

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:15

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:15
Hi Chris
As far as I can remember, the only unit that will fit into your description is the Garmin Quest.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 297520

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:38

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:38
Hi Chris

I use a Garmin Quest which was 2nd hand from USA all fully operational for $200 but you need to consider software costs and there are some ideas in thread 56353.

I use it Velcro'd onto my trail bike as it has a great speedo mode , and take it off for walking.

Its a smaller , simpler version of my Garmin 276c and it allows the full recording of your tracks as well.

If you don't need track recording - it would be hard to beat this weeks Aldi special at $179.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 297525

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:27

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:27
Chris
Check my website and click on the Nuvi 760

If you need one that will supply a CD for City Nav' 2008 then look for the link to GPS Map 276C

For Garmin GPS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 297613

Follow Up By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:41

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 21:41
Picked up a 2nd hand NUVI 660 from a site member and what a fantastic device. Bin from Cairns down the east coast to (and all the little out of the way places on the way) Melbourne, back up through Broken Hill and then home (10,400ks approx) via Charters Towers and boy did it do its job. Better than canned nickers and thanx to Doug T for all the help he has given myself and countless others in the use of GPS's...

Luv ya work my man...

Grrr!!!
FollowupID: 563734

Reply By: Chris@forum - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:20

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:20
hey guys, thanks for the info

the 60cx has
-> Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes

but has no voice support, right? does it make any noise at a left or right turn? would be mandentory for a car

otherwise I am checking Nuvi 350, found that info:

The nuvi 350 has a 3.5" diagonal touch-screen, pre-loaded maps, SD card expandability, and travel and multimedia features. The nuvi 360 adds Bluetooth support for hands-free calls, and the nuvi 660 features an extra-wide 4.3" diagonal touch-screen, Bluetooth support, FM Transmitter and includes a GTM 20 traffic receiver. The traffic receiver must be purchased separately for the nuvi 350 and 360.

If only difference between 350 and 660 is bluetooth and the wide sceen, I would go for the 350.
Doesns has to be a handheld, but small in size is good.

Chris
AnswerID: 297702

Follow Up By: Chris@forum - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:29

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 02:29
thats a good overview here

gpsmagazine.com
FollowupID: 563757

Reply By: Chris@forum - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 19:09

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 19:09
finally I'v got the 60cx and I am compleate satisfied !
It does excellent autorouting (sooms automaticly in for turns, and out, after for the overview) and takes tracks or POIs, so I use it in the car with autorouting, and for 4x4 with the free tracks, for hiking and the bike, or even for marine with marine cards.
Its has a direct key for "man over board" with simple backrouting, and a mark key, to set quick a waypoint.

Ît costs more, but for me, as it does such an excellent job, it will be used dayly for the next 10 years or so, its worth the price.

points for my decision were:

60's are more solid than the etrex, less SW bugs, just longer on the maked, yet, it is more compatible to marine equipment, easyer to use the keys, higher display and I thing display is as wide as the etrex one. So more space for opt. fields above the map.
I thing developed for professional use, less for geocouching or hiking, but does an excellen job here, too.

- has no compleat compass, but still a basic one if you move a meter forward, its very sensitive on the meter, if you turn one step right, pointer on the map does the same!
So its not a compass for standing still, but it does its job.
- cx has no barometer, that would be something nice for hikers, but notice, the csx does not collect barometer logs when switched off, and the optional compass and barometer sucks out your akku, so I heart csx users switch them off when not used.

I would recommend Mignon Sanyo Eneloope akkus, because of their low self unloading , you get them in a 4-pack incl. loader for fix 220mA for 10h, speedloading is not good for the akku.

The cx even shows the altetude, but does not right it to a log.
Its a point to think about, if you like to use thei altetude log to show in probably 3D tracks on PC. Don't know if the works.

so thats for the overview
AnswerID: 299334

Sponsored Links