ebay credability

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:35
ThreadID: 56458 Views:1829 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
for a Jeep Wrangler on ebay there is another one of those "air spinners" , the sort you fix just down stream from the air filter. It claims " +31% gas reduction, pays for itself in just 2 days" !!!! and the seller has 99.5% positive feed back....and there is one born every second in the USA!!! This outrageous and ebay is involved by allowing such junk to be flogged with "99.5% POSITIVE feedback"!! Buyer beware, but this is just a pack of lies!!.....silverback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:38

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:38
Is it just the gullibility of the Yanks...
Or is it Jeep owners !!!
(sorry mate- had to throw it in)..

AnswerID: 297526

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:46

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:46
any more comments like that and I shall sit in a corner and sulk..... I'm serious.........silverback
FollowupID: 563513

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:51

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:51
E-Bay is a market place, aside from anything illegal they do not (and should not) control what is sold or not. The responsibility to check a purchase out rests with the buyer not the owners of the site.

E-Bay doesn't 'allow' someone to sell something dodgy with a 99.5% positive rating, the rating is calculated by feedback from purchasers, not assigned by the site.

Sell a dodgy product and sooner or later your feedback rating plummets then you will find people don't want to buy from you any more. That is a free market.

Matt.

P.S. Glad there are no gullible people in Australia, only the US it seems.
AnswerID: 297528

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:04

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:04
POSITIVE RATINGS - be cautious. There has been a scam running on e-bay whereby 1 cent e-mails are purchased and delivered on-line. i.e. there was no physical/postage delivery. Every purchase enabled the seller to obtain positive feedback. For example. on a $1.00 sale they obtained 100 positive feedbacks. The same applied to the purchaser who if the were to spend $1.00 also received 100 positive feedbacks. So as you can see, to obtain 100s of positive feedbacks was relatively cheap and simple. So, just because you have convinced yourself that the seller is (appears) to be OK just remember the above scam. Apparently e-bay have now outlawed direct/on-line delivery of items in an attempt to wipe out this practice.
FollowupID: 563526

Follow Up By: Member - Matt (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:21

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:21
So people actually believe the 'Positive' feedback ratings????

I never read the positive...I do a history search for any negative feedback...read the comments and see how the dispute was handled...that way I get a much more acurate picture of who the person I am dealing with is and how he/she would handle a problem if it was to occur.

Im sorry but how much can you protect stupid people from themselves??

At some stage people have to take responsability for their actions...weigh up the risks and if it goes sour then accept that YOU took the risk!

My2c

All the best

Matt
FollowupID: 563529

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:21

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:21
The other thing to bear in mind with positive ratings is that you get mug (like me for example), who gives his positive rating based SOLELY on the fact that the transaction has gone smoothly. In other words, as soon as I actually receive the package, I get into ebay on the puter and record the positive outcome.

If the product I bought was hopeless, I consider that to have been my own problem.....let the buyer beware. This wouldn't be the case if the itm received was obviously NOT what I had expected....IE if it was a plastic Rolex, when I had expected a fully-functioning, authentic Rolex......then the feedback would have been made a "NEGATIVE".

The worst thing I've ever bought on ebay (for $40-) was a set of metric rachet ring spanners. Big heavy things, made in China and a total waste of $40-!!!!! I still gave the dude positive feedback cos the items were as described......you have to take a chance sometimes.
FollowupID: 563534

Reply By: porl - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:28

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 11:28
I showed interest in a D4D dual cab hilux. It was 2005 model with 38k on the clock.

All I did was enquire where it was. He then emailed me that I had won as the other bidder had failed to pay. But I hadn't put in a bid.

I held on for a laugh. He offered it to me for $7,000.

What a load of cr#p.

It wasn't until I told him I was a lawyer that was involved in the prosecution of financial frauds (which I'm not) and that I would need to process a due diligence on his authenticity, that I never heard from him again.

Of course, he had recently moved to the US so the deal would of course have had o be done through a US bank account ....

Sad thing is people are parting with there money for these scams I hear.
AnswerID: 297547

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:26

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 17:26
I bid on a car once, didn't win......Then recived around 14 second chace offers from heaps of different e-mail addys.

All went quiet when I offered to come around and pick up the car and not pay into a bank before delivery...

But really if you fall for the scams maybe you needed a wake up call in life...

Cheers Stefan
FollowupID: 563653

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:03

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 19:03
I buy quite a lot on Ebay and do a check in Feedback for the item I am looking at. If it seems there are problems I dont buy.
Another scam is where sellers charge 99 cents for an item and $65 for postage. This gets their selling fees reduced. However after several complaints it seems they have shut this down.

Got caught with a phone I bought and the seller jacked up the postage cost after I bought it which is against Ebay rules.
Needless to say he is now an ex ebay seller
AnswerID: 297834

Sponsored Links