LPG rebate - what's its future?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2008 at 23:39
ThreadID: 56495 Views:3414 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've heard from two different people in the past two days that the current gov't is ditching the LPG rebate.

One of them is not happy as he tooled up at a cost of about $30,000 to fit gas based on the new oppositions commitment to this rebate for 8 years before they got kicked out of power.

I can't find anything on a short google on it going - end of June??

I had been thinking of getting a vehicle and converting it later thie year or early next year. I'd consider doing it sooner if the rebate is going to go.

Can anyone point me to a website with reliable info either way?

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:39

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 07:39
Dave,
At the moment the idea of ditching the rebate has been "put on the table" as a possible budget cost cutting measure. There has been no decision made about it either way. Won't happen before the federal budget anyway.
Best to get you car booked in soon though to avoid any rush. I'm getting mine done.
AnswerID: 297713

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:15

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:15
I thought the idea of converting to Gas was to be more enviromentally friendly,
As soon as this crap started I knew the price of Gas would go up, I get the Impression that most took advantage of the rebate just to save a few dollars , If their was no rebate the majority of those who had the conversion would not have had it done,So what it looks like is...save the dollars and stuff the enviroment, My attitude is save the dollars, stick with 100% diesel because my opinion is the Earth and it's enviroment can and will take care of itself as it has over the past billion years and will continue to do so for following billion years ....long after the Human race will have gone extinct.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 297715

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:34

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:34
Aaah yes, but how many motor vehicles and factories pouring out pollutants were there on earth 500 yrs ago, 10,000 yrs ago, 743,921 yrs ago. Not many - in fact NONE at all. Yes the earth probably will take care of itself with the demise of all living beings THEN over the nexxt few million or billion years it might regenerate back to 'the way it was'. I do hope that my viewpoint is not too simplistic for you.
Diesel fuel has proven to be one of the dirtiest and unhealthiest of fuels with huge amounts of carbon depositied into the atsmophere. Yes I know that there are Euro 4 spec vehicles out there but there's still an awful lot of old oil burners spewing out garbage.
FollowupID: 563775

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:52

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:52
Was you around back then was you , why don't you do a little research on the Earths history, you might just find there was many many Volcanoes spewing toxic gasses into the atmosphere, more than all the cars have since cars were invented,
Then there was the Meteor Impacts, Projectiles also contain sulfur-bearing mineralsatmospheric sulfur A 2 km asteroid impacting on land would kill half of humanity on the day by fire, earthquakes, erupting volcanoes, billions of ejected boulders and rocks flying around, super hot winds and floods. Says Jon Murrie:

The stuff reentering would look like lots and lots of shooting stars…like a glaring layer of material above you of several thousand degrees celsius…like being under a griller. (The Advertiser 1993 June 12)
Most initial survivors would die later from consequences of soot and dust saturated air, acid rain mixed with toxic metals, food-chain destruction, famine and freezing temperatures.
If that sounds terrifying consider a 10km asteroid arriving at 25km per second on land. The energy released would be 117,000,000 megatons, equal to 9,000,000,000 (9 billion) Hiroshima bombs or over 2 million times the power of the largest nuclear device (57 megatons) exploded by humans.
A 200km wide crater would form. One million cubic km of rock would be ejected forming layer upon layer of glowing hot material circling the planet and causing a worldwide firestorm. Billions of shooting stars would fill the sky. Hundreds of reentering rocks would be over 100 meters wide — each by itself able to cause devastation across hundreds of kilometers. Impact energy transmitted through the planet could break open the opposite side causing massive lava flows. The sound of the initial impact would be heard around the planet. Part of Earth’s atmosphere would be blown off into space. A thousand kilometers from the impact winds of 1,000 km/h would flatten cities and sweep away the rubble! [Wind speeds of only 254-332 km/h “destroy well-constructed buildings” and winds of 333-419 km/h would level them. And your worried about the little pollution microscopic humans cause...get outa here ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 563779

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:01

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 09:01
DIO
And if you would like to improve your intelligence a little further why not have a look at my Pat particular attention to the site about Manicouagan Crater

IMPACT PAGE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 563780

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:09

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:09
Doug is correct in both his statements. The earth will survive and humans will not.
FollowupID: 563801

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:47

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 08:47
Just planning on using it for what it was intended for. Afraid with bank balance heading in the direction it's heading in every month at the moment diesel is no longer an option. Only problem is that I've got to find the right vehicle first. If it finishes up at the end of the financial year I'll be pushing my luck time wise.

Dave

From Ausindustry.gov.au

What is the purpose of this scheme?
The purpose of the scheme is to encourage the use of LPG as a transport fuel. The purpose of the grant is to provide an incentive for prospective buyers of private use vehicles to purchase new LPG vehicles or to convert an existing petrol or diesel vehicle to LPG.

Before deciding to participate in the scheme you should consider the cost and benefits of using LPG including the purchase cost of an LPG vehicle and/or system, the impact of the grant and the longer term prospects for LPG prices compared with the costs and benefits of the purchase and operation of a petrol or diesel vehicle.

From The Age online Aug 2006
Motorists will receive the full $2,000 subsidy for converting their car to LPG, even if the conversion costs less than that, Prime Minister John Howard has promised.

The subsidy for converting cars to run on liquid gas is the centrepiece of the government's $1.8 billion plan to battle high petrol prices, unveiled earlier this week.

AnswerID: 297721

Sponsored Links