Solar Panel Instal

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 18:08
ThreadID: 56515 Views:2541 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I had previously made 2 x 55 watt solar panels into a suit case moveable pair for charging the battery in our jayco pop-top caravan. I now intend to fit them semi-permanently to the pop-top roof of the caravan. My problem is that I need to remove them when I store the van during summer.

Has anyone got any good ideas on how to fix the panels to the roof of the pop-top, so they can be removed easily without causing a leaking roof and or structional problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 20:04

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 20:04
You might consider mounting the panles on a "frame" that is fixed to the bullnose aluminium perimeter trims rather than to the roof sheet itself. The benefits would be :-

a) The panels will not impose a load on the roof sheets which could cause "pooling" of rain water, if it ever rains. The load would be carried by the perimeter trims.
b) If the frame is fixed to the two long side bull nose perimeter trims it would be fairly easy to access screws etc to remove it.
c) If the fixings are not through the roof sheet ( but through the perimeter ,)you don't create a possible weak point for leaks.

Hope this helps.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 297853

Sponsored Links