Are we in need of another recession?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:15
ThreadID: 56525 Views:2304 Replies:11 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Everyone has so much money to spend, bussiness is booming and everyone is happy. Im sick of it, Every where i go, its busy, every day of the week. Im sick of not getting a park and im sick of queing up in shops. The thing that really works me up is when i ring a certain company for information and a quote and they are rude. They are so busy they dont even want my bussiness. Im almost pleading for a recession so they can feel hard times and plead with me to spend my money with them. We might also get some quality back in some products. We all have it too easy today. Yep, i've been ringing around and getting different quotes for things lately and im peeved right off.

i think i feel better now :)) David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:21

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:21
I will agree with you even thow it has nothing to do with 4WDing... LOL

But we are all working harder for no more money, you can't get what you want, (theres none in stock).

all for the good of what?

Richard
AnswerID: 297879

Follow Up By: Member - David.M.C - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:25

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:25
Technically it is. Been ringing around for products that will go on my 4wd. Lol ;))
FollowupID: 563926

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:30

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:30
I do agree with yoiu. Too many people with far to much disposable income, extended lines of credit, re-draws on mortgages, credit cards extended to the max., living beyond their means. As for business and some tradies, yes they have had it far too good for too long. Is a recession about due, probably not according to the 'experts' - at least in OZ however the Govt is really tightening up on their spending which will in tiime lead to a slowing in consumer spending and very likely some loss of jobs. Is that good for us and our economy, probably. Might serve to give some people a wake-up call and bring them back to the land of reality and remind them that you can't continue to spend someone elses money and not be held accountable for your actions/behaviour at some stage.
AnswerID: 297881

Follow Up By: Member - David.M.C - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:36

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:36
Agreed.
FollowupID: 563931

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:40

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:40
I know where your coming from David. We have rang numerous plumbers,tilers, etc in regards to a reno on our bathroom. Out of about 5 we had one phone call back. I refuse to ring them again and they will not get any money from me. Ok our bathroom is not big but these tradesman that I have rang obviously forget that its the small people that keep them going through the rough times when big jobs are not there. No offence to any one here that does do the right thing good and bad in everyone. BUT they all have phones so a quick phone call back to say either Im really busy can I ring you at a later date, I'm not interested in the job, or what ever at least call. Luckily have found a brilliant tiler, have seen his work and happy with the quote. No wonder some kids have the attitude they do when kids go for job interviews, " Thankyou for coming in for the job interview we will give you a call back" most of them still waiting I'm sure !! Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 297883

Follow Up By: Member - David.M.C - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 21:50
Im a tradie, like to think im one of the better ones :) Spot on what you say though.
FollowupID: 563937

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:35

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 07:35
Its not quite that simple.
For example...you ring a tiler...
Say he works on his own he will be out of control....quoting...GST...trying to get money out of people....ordering tiles/stock so they turn up at the right time and then tiling.
He doesn`t want to say no to your job in case joe blogs pulls out of getting his job done. He doesn`t want to miss a days work cause he is making stuff all out of poky bathrooms.
But somehow in the confusion of it all(or a job runs overtime where he has to work night and day) forgets to quote your job, the slack bugger!

So when it gets to much he goes and works for a company.
The company has 10 times as much work going with staff that bluge and just don`t turn up when ever they feel like it. They can`t sack them cause of the lack of tradesmen out there.

Its just the way it goes and will only get worse. I don`t even quote bathrooms, builders give them to me do and charge and I won`t do them at all for the public.
FollowupID: 563988

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:18

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 11:18
We have a Medium size Plumbing Business, we contract to a
National Wide Government Agency, we have Two Sub Contractors,
working for us, 85percent of the time, we have had constant work
for many years, forget the boom at the moment, we get several calls
every day from people wanting jobs done, if we cant do it, we will
organise some body who can, if they let them down, they dont get
any more work from us, its the only way to keep a good name in
business.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 564025

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 15:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 15:48
Hi Daza, you sound like the sort of bloke I would like to be dealing with and obviously keep your customers happy. If a tradesman comes to my house to give a quote I either accept it or I dont. I dont try and talk him down. Yes I will get different quotes depending on the job but will never try and talk him down on his price. I know that not the cheapest price is the best thats for sure. We had a gas pipe run from the meter outside to our lounge room and had it not been for the sparky putting in the aircon (he also had to go into the wall cavity) there was not one saddle(spelling) holding the gas pipe to anything just floating in the breeze. Was done by AGL but probably not by there own staff. Probably a contractor. I have worked with customers alot over my years of working and yes alot of them can be a total pain in the ar@e. My wife also works in customer relations everyday of the week and said that 95% of customers are great. I have never ran my own business but have many family members who do and can be very stressful at times. I also agree with Stu-k but in the end a quick phone call to say sorry mate can I ring you back tomorrow or I dont have time at the moment is all that is needed. Chances are because he has at least had the decency to ring back I will wait till he is available unless of course its urgent then you have to pay the price. In general I think most tradies are reliable and except the gas pipe have never had to get any one back to fix any stuff ups which has been great. Been here ten years and been a new house at the time I've had a lot of tradesman doing things, driveways,slabs,sparkys,plumbers,builders, brickies etc. Just that phone call LOL. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 564060

Reply By: Member - Longtooth (SA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:16
I'm still waiting for a reply from two glaziers (the only ones) in our town. I've made at least three calls to each and left messages. I've given up. One call to another recommended glazier had him here next day - not bad considering he is 95km away. He didn't make any outrageous cost for travel either - just said that he provides service and may be called again when the need arises. He will certainly be first on the list.
AnswerID: 297893

Follow Up By: Member - David.M.C - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:22

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:22
that bloke will always have a job. In the good times and the bad. Hard to find
FollowupID: 563946

Reply By: F4Phantom - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:32

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 22:32
I have noticed the kids right out of school and into their first job now own nicer cars than me, its very much a normal attitude to spend loads, save none. I sometimes feel like I am the only consevative one left!
AnswerID: 297902

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:10

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:10
Gday,
What does a recession do? ( I mean that as a question?)
I believe kids are generaly a reflection of there parents, and the reason so many kids are bludgers is because there parents were too. Or ...the Government has set up this poor bugger me society that no one needs to work.
The reason you cant get good tradies is because there was a generation were an apprenticeship wasnt the good thing to do.
As an ex-tradie I reckon its bloody great....Instead of paying half of your days wages to see the doctor , now you only pay about 2 hours worth for his 15minutes service!!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 297909

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:20

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:20
Hairy

Don,t you work for the government?
FollowupID: 563974

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:07

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:07
No....
FollowupID: 564001

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 15:08

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 15:08
Sorry i thought you where a teacher.
FollowupID: 564056

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:12

Thursday, Apr 10, 2008 at 23:12
This is the impetus that drives and forces one to become a very competent DIY.

In other words its the law of the jungle - only the strongest, fittest and those willing to look after one self, survive.

If you can't/won't manage the DIY thing, then you wait, plead, pay through the nose, cop a chit job and/or go without.

AnswerID: 297910

Follow Up By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:48
in total agreement. reserch research research then dig in and have a go ya self. weather it's home improvments or workin on the forbie, it's amazing the satisfaction you get from seeing something your own hands created (or fixed).
the old saying you get what you paid for dosen't mean jack these days!
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 564151

Reply By: Member - Graeme (NSW) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:20

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 03:20
I hope the recession when it does come is just severe enough to give a general wake up call, but not cut too deeply. Just remind people they have to have the money before they spend it.
On the other hand I hope the Oz $ falls a bit as it is the only way I will get a pay rise to pay my mortgage, as I am a tradesman who works overseas and is paid in foreign currency.
I am also planning to drive to Perth later this year as my wife has never been across the Nullabor and I want to take her whale watching at the head of the bight. I did it a few years ago and spent two hours watching these fabulous creatures and had to remind myself I was working and therefore continue on. I have promised myself I will do it again with my beloved wife so she can experience the same joy I did many years ago. We will come back Golden Kangaroo class on the Indian Pacific.
AnswerID: 297922

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:35

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:35
Agreed...........a wake up call is needed. Money management is becoming a lost art and I'm not referring to juggling credit card accounts. Cold hard cash is still the requirement when things go wrong.

The main problem with a wake up call occurring, is that the " average " australian who is not receiving the statistical " average " wage is always the one that suffers.
FollowupID: 564009

Reply By: Member - Glenn G (QLD) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:20

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:20
Not everyone is living the high life.A lot of people out there trying to just pay the bills ! Even the Treasurer of Qld said last night that the Reserve bank was making life too hard for those with a mortgage !

Giffo
AnswerID: 297925

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:34

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:34
Unfortunately the treasurers always try to blame the reserve bank as the RB has to do the dirty work in reaction to policies of treasurers.
You can liken it to a car. The treasurer is the driver and reserve bank/economy the vehicle.
If the treasurer steers it into a s++thole you cant blame the RB, their policies reflect what they are given to work with.
FollowupID: 563993

Reply By: Ray - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:32

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:32
Yes money has been too easy to borrow. A few years ago the government put restrictions on what you could borrow. At present people are borrowing more that their earning capacity and all you need is a small hiccup in the economy and people are loosing their houses. This easy borrowing is the cause of high house prices today. This has all happened over the past eleven years. Guess why?
AnswerID: 297944

Follow Up By: Off-track - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:05

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:05
Purposely slow release of land and shortage of tradies has been no small part of the problem either by the way.
FollowupID: 564000

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:37

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:37
" thank you mr hooker "

lolol
FollowupID: 564011

Reply By: Member - Brian H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 16:50

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 16:50
It would seem tradesman are in short supply, I've never taken much notice until resently. I let my builders ticket lapse 10 years ago and now my daughter is heading into real estate and asked if i'd renovate and re model properties. So getting my builders license again.

While doing the course I have been asked by other carpenters if I'd come work with them as they just cannot get carpenters and they are booked up for at least 12 months.

So when I get my License back in the next couple of months I maybe a busy fella, now where did i put all them tools :) :).

In my renovation business I run for 20 years I made it a point to call back clients even if I could not do the job, in many cases people would be happy you simple called even if you could not do the job, customer service does not cost a lot.

Brian
AnswerID: 297999

Sponsored Links