Plasma rope and Hawse fairlead; cast V aluminium

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 21:52
ThreadID: 56552 Views:6339 Replies:10 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience with the cast iron hawse fairleads used with plasma/synthetic rope or any comparison/advantages/disadvantages of cast iron V aluminium hawse fairleads.
Ive just purchased some amsteel blue 8mm x 30m from www.okoffroad.com which i found on these forums and i must say they are very reasonably priced and professional. Spoken to the bloke that runs it (Mark) and he is a top bloke. For anyones info if your considering buying this stuff.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:07

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:07
Scooter

Yep! I have used okoffroad for these same products and so has Roachie.

(1) Cast iron and/or steel is fine in that its wear factor is very minimal. It does however have the drawback of oxidising (rusting). This may only be a fine layer or a heavier layer if it is a long time between uses.

You don't want iron oxide particles in the plasma rope.

(2) Aluminium has greater wear factor, however, unless you are running a comp truck on a regular basis I would put $50 (more than the cost of the hawse from okoffroad) on it that you never wear it out in your lifetime of winching.

Also very little oxidisation to worry the rope.

TIP:

If you have a ARB winch bar then the mounting holes for the hawse will be offset from centre.

Okoffroad have an aluminium hawse for this exact situation so make sure you choose wisely.

I don't know what you are winching, but would respectfully suggest that you upgrade to the 10mm rope. Not much extra.

AnswerID: 298054

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:28

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:28
Hi 'Lucy', May I ask why you sugest 10 mm ? The 10mm is rated at 8,000 kg. (8 tonne) That's one hell of a big fish that you could reel in.

The 8mm is rated at (minimum) 5,600 kg.
FollowupID: 564131

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:08
Of course you may ask, however you will notice I qualified it a tad by stating I had no idea what he was winching and assumed the worst - Overloaded 4WD and CT/Caravan.

(1) If the gentleman in question just wants to winch his rig along a nice flat, level concrete road then a piece of 'striing' would most probably suffice.

(2) if he is stuck in sand or mud the, horizontal load on the rope increases exponentially.

(3) Add an incline or obstacle to (2) and it increases exponentially again.

(4) Throw a snatch block into the equation that is being used as a 90deg 'guide' to a lateral winch point and things rwally start to get interesting re load and stress on the rope.

Note:

You only halve the pull using a snatch block when the rope goes out through the snatch block and comes back to the winching vehicle (stuck vehicle) paralell to the outwards part of the rope.

(5) I have watched 10 & 11mm brand new plasma ropes snap in winch comps where it is only the comp truck weighing around 2t. and those vehicles are as light as they can get them.

So in view of the above and a extra US$25 I definitely recommend an extra 2mm to give it you that extra margin of safety and piece of mind.

Also Plasma does wear/degrade with use and not being looked after (ie serviced after use).

If you have an ARB bar then the okoffroad SP Aluminium Hawse is the one to get.

FollowupID: 564143

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:37
Hi Kiwi

Your need thicker rope , not for its strength , but to minimize an unstated drawback of plasma which is its easy of which it it cuts thru existing layers of rope on a drum and can jam itself in when rope is not wound on under a real load.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 564170

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:00

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:00
Thanks Robin, I do know about the problem with a rope under tension squeezing down between the winds on a lower layer. To avoid this the rope makers recommend that you do not lay the rope on the drum in a nice 'side by side' fashion as you do with wire rope. Instead you should cross the rope back and forth over it self in a herring bone fashion.

Lucy, I also have never seen a synthetic rope actually melt. Now if Bonz had not been in such a hurry during his visit over the pond I would have shown him some really soft beaches (fine gravel)where we could have tried to do some 'melting' :-))
FollowupID: 564177

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:56

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:56
Next time Kiwi will have time for more offroad stuff
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 564380

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 22:48
Scooter Pig,

I'm running the Masterpull XD line and an alloy hawse. It is on an ARB delux bar on my 100 series with a 10,000lb Warn.

The hole on this hawse are in line with the opening and fit perfectly to line up with the rope. The problem I had was spacing the hawse out far enough )away from the winch) to allow for angled pulls without having the rope rub on the cutouts on the bar.

I made up some alloy spacer blocks to 40mm and then replaced the two lower hi-tensile hex bolts with 40mm longer ones. Works no worries now.

Tim
AnswerID: 298061

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:10

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:10
Yep thats the way to go.
FollowupID: 564144

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:09

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:09
I have the roller fairlead with poly rollers and got them from the plasma man himself My Roger Smith recommended and easy to fit

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 298062

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:16

Friday, Apr 11, 2008 at 23:16
You don't mean 'dodgy roger' the ex bead-lok man do you??

FollowupID: 564145

Follow Up By: Tony - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 06:51

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 06:51
Having competed with Roger Smith in two "Out Back Challenges" I will cast no aspersions.

But I do believe the Poly roller fairleads are better then the Hawser type fair lead. There is a lot of friction created when the rope rubs around a solid object. Passing around something that moves with it, no friction.

It must be made sure the there is no gaps between the rollers and the frame, so the the rope carn't pinch between them.
FollowupID: 564162

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 06:57

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 06:57
Roger is an outback gentleman you would have had a good ride Tony, were you navvi or in another vehicle?

and I agree, the poly rollers, even if they didnt move have a larger diameter making it easier on the pull

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564164

Follow Up By: Tony - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:52

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 14:52
G'day Bonz. Navvi in another vehicle, but in the same team two years in a row.
FollowupID: 564376

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:08

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:08
Cool we may have crossed paths then, been up there a few years in a row

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 564384

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 00:41

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 00:41
hi all , having fitted out emergancy vehicles (fire and police) and still do plasma is good in short bursts when pulling on warn type winches . extended use , creates an awfull amount of heat on the spindle and melts yhe plasma , the only succes i have encountered is with an hydralic winch with continuous use . on electric winches i would lean towards wire rope.
AnswerID: 298071

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:41

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:41
Hi Scooter

Aluminium will have less friction loses in practise , but remember neither is as good in the loss department as rollers.

A 10,000 pound winch is really only 8000 pound thru a hawse if on a bit of an angle.

On other side of equation is you need good rollers with overlaps elsr plasma can jam in corners.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298079

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:33

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 08:33
I really need some eye witness observations on this one.

I can in the hypothetical imagine a winch drum getting so hot that it melts the plasma rope, however I have never seen one do this. Also I have never been able to identify a person who has seen this or actually experienced it.

I've seen plenty of plasma ropes snap when winching and it has always been between the vehicle and the winch point.

I have never seen a plasma rope used with fairlead rollers, however will get BONZ to give me a demo on his vehicle when we are at Nundooka on the OBC together. I'll be than happy to report on the effects on a plasma rope through a roller fairlead whilst attached to his vehicle thats hanging like a 'teabag' from same.

Ooops! forgot, he won't we taking his vehicle, apparently its too rough, tough and wild out there for a Missin-Nissan.

Anyway forget BONZ, has any reader actually seen this heat, melting, bonding, welding phenomenon or is it an urban myth.

AnswerID: 298084

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:27

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:27
Hi Lucy

Mines melted a bit on the first 2 meters , despite even coming with a nylon cover for that first 2 meters.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 564305

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:14
Hey Robin.

Re that 2 meters of Nylon sleeve.

I use it the same way as the Comp guys do (those that retain it that is), and that is as a protection against rocks/sharp things when the vehicle is below the 'winch point and the rope is 'bent' over whatever.

The nylon sleeve stays up against the hook and is on the last 2 meters off rope to be wound in.

Once hooked up for winch, just slide it down the rope to the point that needs protection, doing so whilst the rope is still slack and not under tension/load.

FollowupID: 564489

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 17:29

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 17:29
I have 3 plasma still on winches waiting for manufacturers to appraise!
AnswerID: 298127

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:08

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:08
Hi Autosparky, Can you share any more info with us ?
Brand / model of winch and type of synthetic cable being used would be good.
FollowupID: 564215

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:23

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:23
Autosparky.

You have my attention and I am all ears and eyes.

Same as Kiwi Kia plus original colour of plasma rope being used, and exactly what the winch was being used for when the melt/fusion happened. (and don't say winching - LOL).

Why I say that is, winch motors will generate enough heat to melt the solder in the motors when under constant extreme load for long periods.

Thats why you get the likes of Mal Leslie to trick up the winch with air cooling to the motor etc. Matter of fact he makes quite a $ or three doing this mod to winch motors for the comp guys and people like myself who know about it.

FollowupID: 564217

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:26

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:26
Also the newer winch motors have big 'heat sinks' built into the rear end of same for heat dispersion.

Do the 3 you are talking about have these heat sinks.

FollowupID: 564218

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:35

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:35
Hi Kiwi, all i can tell you , because this became a warranty issue and was at great expense to the bussiness, freighting 3 fully loaded winches (2 toyota super winches(warn xt9000) and 1 warn xt9000) to these remote police stations 1 to balgo mission and 2 to the western desert . not much fun on the hip pocket!
the plasma (purple colour) came from our suppliers ARB and ORE.
went back to wire and not a problem.

Just try and wind over a bare winch drum on one of these 2 winches for 3 or 4mins and feel the heat!
had no problems with an ox hydraulic and plasma , drum din not get hot. (great winch runs off power steering pump)
AnswerID: 298134

Reply By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:37
Lucy yes they did have a heatsink attatched .
AnswerID: 298135

Follow Up By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:52

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:52
The problem is a heat transfer , the heat of the drum not the motor although there will be some heat transferred from the motor to the drum most of the heat is from the planetry gears
FollowupID: 564226

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:08

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:08
Aaaarh! the 'thick plotens'

3 winches belonging to 'remote police outposts'

Now being aware of the - all care and responsibility thing - I can assure you from very, very personal experience that 98% of police officers have no idea what that means when it comes to Govt. Equipment.

I have no doubt that they did indeed return the subject 3 winches to you with melted plasma rope on the drums, however before I passed any more comment I would have to see a video of what they were doing when they melted the said rope to the subject drums.

Wouldn't believe a word I was told unless it was backed up by a video.

Trust me, I have had 40years of continuous Govt employment and it never ceases to amaze me what some galoots can do with the equipment they are given. It is just mind boggling.

FollowupID: 564227

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:11

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:11
Also sympathise with you being on the receiving end of the warranty claims.

FollowupID: 564228

Follow Up By: autosparky - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:52

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:52
Yes unfortunatelly im the mug that fits everything out for them and unfortunately nothimg ever made is cop proof, conversely the winch supplied to one of these people is some one who actually knows his bits and would not destroy his toys . because his life actually depends on his equipment.
FollowupID: 564236

Follow Up By: Scooterpig - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:01

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:01
Wow, thanks for all the feadback, definately food for thought. might look at replacing the cast fairlead with an alloy one. I should have included what i was using etc etc. 91 GQ Patrol 4.2d with arb winch bar, Warn highmount winch (so the drum temperature isnt an issue). All the usual stuff (roof rack/side bars/drawers/fridge)...i ran it over a weigh bridge and came in at about 2.7t unladen, which im assuming is kinda normal since i havent got anything crazy heavy on it. so the 8mm i reckon should be okay...winching out of sand/mud..the usual stuff if your stuck and at your whits end.

FollowupID: 564468

Reply By: Scooterpig - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:02

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 22:02
Wow, thanks for all the feadback, definately food for thought. might look at replacing the cast fairlead with an alloy one. I should have included what i was using etc etc. 91 GQ Patrol 4.2d with arb winch bar, Warn highmount winch (so the drum temperature isnt an issue). All the usual stuff (roof rack/side bars/drawers/fridge)...i ran it over a weigh bridge and came in at about 2.7t unladen, which im assuming is kinda normal since i havent got anything crazy heavy on it. so the 8mm i reckon should be okay...winching out of sand/mud..the usual stuff if your stuck and at your whits end.
AnswerID: 298365

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:09

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:09
Scooter, Scooter, Scooter, Scooter - Pig, Pig, Pig, Pig,

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate! its only US$25.00 extra for that peace of mind and I can assure you that it will go very well on your High-Mount.

Todays exchange rate makes it so so affordable.

FollowupID: 564488

Sponsored Links