Plugs not a permanant fix

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 15:28
ThreadID: 56562 Views:2538 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
They work damn well but ive been finding after 6-12 months they start leaking. Bizarely they will go down to a certain PSI but no lower. i have a leak ATM which was going down to 22 PSI but another plug saw it stabalize at 28psi. a previos one would also stabalize at 22 PSI.
this MTR has already had 1 majour sidewall repair and was holed again in about march last year when it had the plugs put in.
Ive just replaced 2 MTR over the course of a month and ive decided to get another 2 which will leave me 1 good one as a spare.
Not sure how many ks i got out of them but it was around 25,000km
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 16:28

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 16:28
Was under the impression plugs were a temporary fix till u get a vulcanised patch put inside.
I certainly would anyway.
AnswerID: 298120

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:31

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 18:31
they wont fix tyres with holes in sidewalls any way so at least you get another 6 -12 months out of the tyre
FollowupID: 564219

Follow Up By: Krakka - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:19

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:19
Who wont fix tyres with a hole in the sidewall, you wrote that you had a repair done to sidewall already, so what would be the drama of doing a tread repair?
FollowupID: 564229

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:10

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:10
any tyre shp wont fix them. yea I got 1 sidewall repaired but the next 2 tyres i took in there they wouldnt because they said they wouldnt be safe. You might get lucky but its hit and miss.
As for tread repairs I havnt had a tread pucnture for years - all in the sidewalls
FollowupID: 564429

Follow Up By: Tyreman - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:30

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:30
push in plugs are only a temporary repair and yes they do start to leak your tyres can also separate like a retread if air gets between the the steel bands from useing these plugs being in the tyre industry myself i have heard of this happening several times we had training on how to plug a tyre and was told all the ins and outs on why not to use a push in plug and after hearing some of the stories im not sure if i would use them again

cheers shane
FollowupID: 564645

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 17:30

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 17:30
Agree. They're only supposed to be a temporary repair. You can't get a road worthy on a vehicle in Victoria if the plugs are still evident in the tyres (so trim them right back...lol). I've encountered the same issue with one of my tyres at the moment. Gets to 24 psi and stays there. Time to visit the tyre repair place!

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298128

Reply By: Member - Luke (SA) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:10

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:10
I don't have that problem. I have a few tyres with plugs in them and they seem to stay up ok. The Coopers I bought off Willem this time last year have plugs right through them, (side walls and in the tread) and I have never had to adjust the pressure since then.

Must be the Coopers ;)

Cheers Luke
AnswerID: 298149

Reply By: mowing - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:31

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:31
Just reading the tyrepliers booklet and it says in regard to plugs " This is only a temporary repair method and should only be used in Emergency situations when off roading or out in the field" all of which is in bold print. If the tyre places will not repair sidewall damage and you can't get a Road worthy with plugs in tyres, I think there is a message coming through. ie Insurance coy says that the vehicle is unroadworthy and the insurance is out the door.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 298155

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 00:25

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 00:25
This report ......http://www.cityoffpeak.com/generalinterest.htm ...... that I found on a 4x4 club's web site about a tyre repair demonstration by Mick Hutton sheds a bit more light on sidewall repairs. I spoke to Mick about a month ago and he said some sidewall damage can be safely and legally repaired. This ties in with what my next door neighbour has told me. He has worked for decades for a major tyre repair and retread company.

I have ordered a copy of Mick's tyre repair DVD that is currently being made. After I look at it I will most likely get a copy of the tyre repair standards from the Australian Standards Association then call in to Rema Tip Top to discuss what I need to expand the basic repair kit I currently have.

The next problem is going to be finding a company that does major tyre repairs if I ever need one. I have checked all the local tyre services and they are useless. They are only interested in selling, not repairing, tyres. They might put a plug in or a patch on a tube but that is it. The amount of equipment in the Rema catalogue is unbelievable yet one large tyre service near my home only has a few patches, plugs and tubes of glue on a small shelf beside their wheel balancer. No wonder they tell you things are unrepairable.

My neighbour said the electrically heated vulcanising presses are "not very expensive" but he does not know how much. I will also check them while at Tip Top and if he is right then who knows, I might even buy one.

I repaired countless car and light truck tyres as an apprentice a hell of a long time ago and I am just starting to brush up on the technical side of it again after recently returning to 4wds after a long absence. Just going by memories of what I learnt back in those days, I have noticed there seems to be a lot of incorrect information on tyre repairs among 4b enthusiasts. 4wd tyres are expensive and if you don't want to be discarding them un-necessarily then you must go to the people who make tyre repair equipment and the ones who use it. You can never be 100% sure you are getting the right information any other way.

Brian

AnswerID: 298194

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:14

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:14
Try the truck retrreaders/repairs places .
Still hit and miss though
I have had no joy the last couple of times. a contributing factor could be its not worth theit time. Costs about $60
FollowupID: 564430

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:00

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:00
I've had several plugs in my tyres both sidewall and tread areas for several years now with no worries.
One did start to leak again after about 12 months but another plug in the same hole sorted that out.
I have found that the plugs sold with the cheap tools do seem to dry out and are not very sticky after a year or so.
The good quality ones that come with the Safety Seal/ARB kit don't seem to dry out and neither do the Rema ones.
I always dip them in the vulcanising fluid before insertion anyway and never use the lube in the kit as it stops the plug sticking and sealing the hole.
AnswerID: 298213

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:17
Dunno what brand mine are but i bought them from Beurepairs and they come sandwiched in paper and plastic and wernt cheap.
The kit came with vulcanising fluid and no lunracant. Tyre shop was insistant to use the Special cement rather than vulcanising fluid.
I have both any way rema tip top stuff
FollowupID: 564433

Sponsored Links