The best spot to mount the spare Wheel ??

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 19:42
ThreadID: 56571 Views:8247 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have thought about this, and no matter what vehicle!, There is always a potenional problem as to where the spare is mounted.

Underneath To low.

On the bonnet , Cracks appear in rough going, and likeley to Decapitate ones self if checking oil and bonnet stay gives way!.

Rear barn door, Plenty of stories again about cracks.

On the roof , Its a bas...ard getting it up there!!, and can take off getting it down..lol.

utes! chuck it in the back, But what about all the other stuff!.?

Bolt it up to the trayback head board, not a lot of dramas.

otherwise make up your own beaut spare wheel carrier?

This came to mind this afternoon , following a new triton ute with the spare near dragging along the road!, something had come adrift...lol.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: obee - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 20:42

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 20:42
I used to carry two spares complete for the hilux and the trailer but one does now and I carry two old cases without the rims. getting air into split rims is easy but if I had tubeless I would carry the spare tubes anyway.

Owen
AnswerID: 298165

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 22:41

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 22:41
Even the spare carrier presents problems.

I recently became...immobile... after heavy rains, while backing the trailer around a corner, needless to say that the angles were against me and I couldn't get the rear doors open because the swing away would collect the A frame on the trailer.

Couldn't use the jockey wheel for the same reason.

No probs... I'll get the highlift off the back and jack the trailer up with that, cept i need a spanner to get the highlift off its carrier, and the spanners are with the rest of the tools, in the back, where I can't get to them...

to cut a long (and very wet) story short, I borrowed a spanner, and we were on our way soon thereafter.

I also now keep a second toolkit, very basic, in the nosecone of the trailer.
AnswerID: 298180

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 22:43

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 22:43
The spare wheel position is the worst feature of Mr Toyota. I don't know how many times I've said naughty things when retreiving the spare from under the 80.
I remember the track to Boulia when I had a flat at night. The track was just two wheelruts then, and the bottom of the vehicle sat squarely on the ground...not nice as I knew that huge road transports came that way.
On another trip the spare wheel release mechanism was full of small stones...
However I put a swing away carrier on the back, and voila ! Now I carry two spares, one underneath and one on the back.
AnswerID: 298182

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 23:07

Saturday, Apr 12, 2008 at 23:07
Yep. Toyota got it right with the Prado. Pity that logic has never flowed over into the Landcruiser.
FollowupID: 564283

Follow Up By: Ray - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:01

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:01
I have an 80 ser. on gas (LPG) and my spare wheel is under a false floor in the back. No trouble getting it in or out and there is also room for my tool box and pump. The top of the false floor is a large enough storage area for my needs
FollowupID: 564310

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:43

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 10:43
Mine is on a swing away carrier on the back, as underneath is all fuel tank.
FollowupID: 564331

Reply By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:43

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 07:43
I carry two on my trayback. The tray is very well designed and has the spare wheel up under at the rear and is very easy to put in and out. Sounds good but when towing the caravan its impossible to get out without unhitching. As a previous post says its not always possible or convenient to unhitch so I now also carry a spare in the tray up against the headboard. Found out by experience of course.
Geoff
AnswerID: 298211

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:36

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 08:36
Must be lucky here. I have had various Nissan with wheel on back door for at least 15 years without any serious issue.

I have had to tighten up adjustments a few times , as if you don't do this it the movement rapidly increases.

Also rear door makes it easy to use tyre as air tank and shovel holder etc.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298218

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:40

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 08:40
Rear door on the Paj. Same on every Paj I've owned and never any hint of a problem.
AnswerID: 298406

Sponsored Links