gunna go buy ourselves a gold lotto ticket.........

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 15:50
ThreadID: 56592 Views:2621 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We were travelling south on the Bruce Highway from Maryborough on Friday in our Patrol towing our camper and said to the truckie that was behind us to overtake on the next overtaking lane as we
were not in a hurry (only wanting to sit on 90-95kph), he replied thanks very much, will do. Anyway as he went past a big piece of steel was hanging out the side, so I backed off pretty quickly as I thought it might come off. I was just about to tell the truck driver this and the bloody thing fell off, bounced down the road for about 100m and then bounced across the road and stopped in an intersection of a side road( this all happened in about 10-15 seconds). After taking evasive action, I told the truck driver what happened and promptly pulled over, turned around and went back to pick up this piece of steel. Turns out it was a walkway/ grate made from around 30mm x 6mm flat bar, around 2 1/2 foot wide and about 6 foot long, with a very bent one end.

Vanessa and I lifted this thing onto the back of our camper (bloody heavy thing too) and took it back to the truckie who was parked on the side of the road a couple of hundred meters or so further on. The truckie and I dragged it off our camper and then loaded it up onto his trailer.

After a couple of minutes to compose ourselves we were off again.

We were really grateful that there no other vehicles coming the other way as this thing would have split their vehicle in half, and killed anyone it hit.

We sat down that night with a wine in hand and thought WHAT IF???? But we are still here and that is all that matters. Still scary thinking about it though.

Greg

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:02

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:02
I bet the truckie was thinking about a new pair of daks as well.

You had better get a ticket for Tuesday night as it is worth $25 million :)

Good to see that no one was injured.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 298281

Follow Up By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:37

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:37
Hi Kev,

He was a bit surprised that it went so far (so were we), but he was really ticked off at the guy who loaded the trailer.

Thanks for the heads up for Tuesday night, will get one for then.

Greg

P.S. We got the goody bag from our hairdresser friend. It's worth around $60+ (all girly stuff).
FollowupID: 564398

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:40

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:40
He can be ticked off all he likes, as there is only one person responsible for the load and that is him and him alone.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 564399

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:44

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 16:44
Greg,

Sounds good, I am sure the females attending Innaminka will now purchase a heap of tickets to win it LOL

Plus I agree with Steve, it's the drivers responsibility to ensure that his load is secure and not some bloke in the yard that loads it for him.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 564400

Reply By: DIO - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:52

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 18:52
A classic case of INSECURE LOAD (an offence). Plenty of motorists and pedestrians have been killed by objects being 'propelled' off moving vehicles. It happens all too often. yes you were very lucky. Why do I feel so strongly on the matter, I too was nearly flattened by a steel loading ramp that slid off the back of a truck. The item was not secured in any way. LOTS of damage caused to my vehicle. Gee I would have been having a few stern words to the driver. Probably wouldn't have helped him load it back on either. Not good enough for a 'professional' driver.
AnswerID: 298310

Reply By: ZukscooterX90 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:00

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:00
Greg you're pretty all pretty lucky,am glad it nothing worse happened to you all.
Bob.
AnswerID: 298311

Follow Up By: ZukscooterX90 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:26

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:26
Don't know what happened above ,it does sound like i am p!ssed but not.Greg you understan what i am trying to say.:)
Bob.
FollowupID: 564434

Reply By: Member - greg S (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:10

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:10
I agree with you all. It was his responsibility, no questions asked.

I was just thankful that no none was hurt in any way or fashion.

Greg

P.S. Bob, It's OK, I know what you mean.
AnswerID: 298328

Reply By: stocky - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:45

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 20:45
According to the law in SA now (maybe elsewhere) the responsibility for the load is the sender, the packer, the driver, the receiver - EVERYBODY in the chain from start to finish!

AnswerID: 298340

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:04

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:04
Read about an incident on the Gateway road where a motorcyclist narrowly misssed being flattened by a toolbox flying off the back of a ute. The unoffocial advice he received from the police was to forget it as nobody was injured. This didn't go down too well with me, as surely the police should have chased the ute driver and had a word with him ?
Might save a fatality next time ?
AnswerID: 298346

Reply By: SteveL - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 21:13
Industry demands cheap freight rates to get goods across this large country of ours and the result is low wages and people who either don't know what they are doing or don't care.In the end you get what you pay for.
AnswerID: 298351

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:05

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 17:05
Bloody lucky Greg, I mean you're vehicle is still new!!!!!
Joking! Definately go buy yourself a ticket Greg, well maybe buy a couple from a few newsagents!

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 298456

Sponsored Links