Home BBQ camping?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:00
ThreadID: 56599 Views:2485 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,

Who here takes their full size home BBQ camping with them?

I've been looking at modifying my old four burner 'shed barbie' into a swing-out, trailer mounted unit by cutting off the legs and welding up a steel bracket. The theory is I can park, swing it out the side of the trailer and cook for the masses on a nice, thick cast iron hotplates with minimal fuss, no bending down, virtually no cleaning up and it provides a focal point for the group to congregate around when there's fire restrictions. Run the mantle lantern off the same gas bottle using a T-piece and Robert's your relative.....night and day BBQ action for the hungry hordes! No more cooking in 'shifts'.

I usually take my high clearance trailer away with me so space is no problem at all and I'll chuck the burners in a tight fitting container for travel as they just lift out from the frame.

Any pros or cons you can think of?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:16
I have a weber baby-q and it is the best thing eva, because u can always cook a roast on them too.....
I have the small one and have cooked a roast for 7 people on it
AnswerID: 298317

Reply By: blue one - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:18

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:18
Hell yeh Buddy,
Done the same for me and the missus. The BBQ is mounted on the rear of the trailer just low enough to make sure it picks up all of the sand driven over. Just when we pull up for a big cook up the whole thing is sand blasted clean. No cleaning, very green and all you have to do is brush off the sand!!

Only thing is we usually sand blast away one BBQ every season but what the hey!!

It saves on cleaning.

Yeeha.
AnswerID: 298319

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:25

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:25
V8,

go for it. Anything that makes your holiday a little less of a hassle has to be a good thing. In a past life when I was with the SES, we had a 'rapid response' trailer that had such a thing, however it was a slide out job. Park up, turn on the gas (permanently plumbed up) and away you go in less than a couple of minutes.

Re the burner, from memory i think they were attached permantly by way of some metal strapping and tek screws by making a nice u section of the end of the burner and fastening the strap down via tek screws to the rail that burners rested on. Never a problem with them coming out, even over some very rough tracks.

My only concern would be the hotplate moving and jumping around. The said BBQ that I have described was one of the full plates which is part of the frame (similar to the cheap Jackaroo BBQs available from bunnings and the likes, 3 burner from memory) However, it would not be too difficult to make some small brackets that attached to the side of the frame that pushed down on the plate keeping it in place.

Good luck
AnswerID: 298321

Follow Up By: blue one - Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:36

Sunday, Apr 13, 2008 at 19:36
Oh,
And I forgot you must have a 4 burner wok burner otherwise it is just not the business.

Make sure the sand gets in.

Cheers
FollowupID: 564437

Sponsored Links