Hotplate holder for campfire

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:07
ThreadID: 56617 Views:5571 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got a good apparatus/contraption/thing they use to suspend a hotplate over the fire/coals?
Hopefully something which doesn't take up too much space, of a design that I can poach!!

I have a design in mind for a hotplate with folding legs, but knowing the people in this forum, there must be some handy gadgets already in operation. Would you be interested in sharing a picture??

(I have done a quick search, and not found anything of use!)

Cheers,
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:10

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:10
Have a look part way down This page from HillBilly Camping Gear

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 298430

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:11

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:11
I saw anaconda selling something like this the other day
AnswerID: 298432

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:18

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:18
I use one of these Bush B-B-Q
It made by a bloke in Melbourne comes with a great range of accessories and is quality made.
For the price you would have to even consider if it was worth the effort to do it yourself.

Have had mine for a number of years and know of quite a few others who also have one, works well and is easy to assemble and disassemble.
No affiliation just a very satisfied customer.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298434

Reply By: David - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:22

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 13:22
Hi John,
With my bbq plate, I have welded 4 nut to the bottom of it and then l just screw bolts into them when needed. I have 4 x 200mm bolts and 4 x 300mm bolt depending on what height iI need. I also carry a few spare bolts just in case I miss place a bolt. Works fine for me.
David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298435

Follow Up By: Member - Robyn J (QLD) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 15:59

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 15:59
That is what we have as well but ours is not a bbq plate but open mesh, I think heavy security grill. We like to cook over the coals so using a camping grill that you can put in your meat, chicken bacon etc and just turn the whole lot in one go works well. We also carry a large aluminium pot for boiling water for showers or cooking crabs etc as well as the camp oven and a cast iron frying pan which sit on the open mesh grill and we have the best of all worlds.
Robyn
Jenkie

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 564540

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 18:36

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 18:36
John,

I've got one of these Biji Barbi
and find it works pretty well.
No affilliation with the maker either.
AnswerID: 298481

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:13

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:13
Ay Richard how are you mate?

yep, have had a bidgi for a few years now, it gets weekly use at home and goes on every bush trip. good bit of gear the old plough disc.
FollowupID: 564637

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:17

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:17
Great mate.
Looking forward to a 2 month trip to the Top End and Kimberly late June.
FollowupID: 564640

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:21

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 20:21
ooh, that sounds like my kind of trip mate. i hope we can catch up on your return, to go over the maps and your (as I expect) wonderful piccies.

kind regards,

Jeremy.
FollowupID: 564642

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:14

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 06:14
Jeremy,

No problems.
FollowupID: 564698

Reply By: obee - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:00

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:00
How about three or four steel tent pegs. bang them in to req height and bobs your uncle.

owen

AnswerID: 298539

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:17

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:17
Hi John .............

Have a look at this one ???

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

John, this was my original concept :
about 5' of waterpipe, a series of holes [3/8"] drilled through both sides,, starting from the top down, spaced about 4" apart.

Then another set of holes, same size and spacings, but at 90 degrees to the first holes and starting 2" below the first holes!

Hacksaw a spearpoint cut on the BOTTOM end of the pipe, for bunging into the ground, 8 - 10 " is fine for me.

This gives alternating holes every 2".
As many holes as you like.

Found several lengths [about 20"] of 5/16" threaded rods in my shed, bent a 1" upturn on one end .

A few meters of Jack Chain from the hardware shop and that's your bloomin' lot, mate.

Total cost about four and threepence ha'penny, except for the chain......

Then got my old spun steel WOK [with a lid,] my faithful BEDOURIE, a medium CAMP OVEN, about three HD pots with the handles removed [ so they can NEST !!] a BILLY and a proper KETTLE, with a WHISTLE !!

Drilled THREE equally spaced holes in all except the Billy and the Kettle, ....
made up various CHAIN HANGER-UPPERS [ triples and singles of various lengths. Chain does not need to be heavy stuff !!

Bung the pipe into the ground poke the rods through appropriate holes, LIGHT UP YOUR FIRE and let it burn down, hang your gadgets, load and COOK !!

The Bedourie is your oven, LID [now with three holes!] is your frypan [ so is your Wok,] spuds go in the foil, get an old FRIDGE SHELF [on triple chains] for A PERFECT TOASTER .... etc etc.!!!

The pole can swivel the pans off /on the fire as needed, the height of each is infinitely adjustable via the rods in the holes .....

Can do roasts, stirfrys', pizzas, veges, bread/damper/scones, omelettes, steak eggs chips and unjuns, fish ...... you cook it at home - it can be cooked on this. (Except sponges and those other poofy things !!)

Or you can ignore all this and just look at the pictures ???

PS
Of course, you don't need all of these items at once, but judicious placement would allow it.
Modification is the name of the game ????

I should also point out that I normally camp SOLO [except for the Beagle] so this is all for me ............ damn, I like my creature comforts ??
AnswerID: 298589

Follow Up By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:22

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:22
OOOOOPS ....

Forgot to explain ......... HOTPLATE :

Just drill a hole in each corner, make up a quadruple chain hanger and bung it on the rod .... use a filled billy on the other side to counterbalance it .............

it's all good,mate!
FollowupID: 564693

Sponsored Links