Defender 110 - Front leg room

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 23:11
ThreadID: 5662 Views:4251 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Looking at purchasing a new Defender 110 wagon later this year. An issue I have came across is that there is just not quite enough leg room from the front drivers seat for myself. (ie the front seat doesn't slide back enough).

One of the first things I will be doing to the Defender is replacing the standard front seats with some more comfortable after-market seats.

I was wondering if anyone knows or has any exprience with being able to install new seats with longer sliders so that more leg room is achievable. (About 1/2 - 1 inch would be perfect).

Or any other idea's on how to get around this sticking point.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lex - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:38

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:38
Rhubarb About four years ago I had visions of buying one of these 'icons of the outback'.That is to say until I actually sat in one and recognized the whole product for what it is .The whole car is an ergonomic disaster using components that should have been relegated to a Lada of the 1960's.Sure it may or may not be big and tough but trying to live with the thing and all of the compromises involved would be a nightmare. And for a vehicle costing nearly 60K it represents appalling value for money.
AnswerID: 23542

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:05

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:05
Actually Lex 43K is the list price. Currently drive a Wrangler so it's not all that different. I think its a love hate thing :)
FollowupID: 15741

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:49

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:49
I learn't to drive in a '54 series 11 landrover, this was in the late 50's and not much has changed, still a square box on wheels, sure the suspension has come a long way and better engines, and with chains on all four wheels drove to the top of Bull Run in winter and it could carry 300 rabbit traps, but I would not bother with one now.
AnswerID: 23543

Reply By: Rod - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:01

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:01
Rhubarb

Previous owner changed my seats to have Honda Accord seats welded to the original seat base frame so that the seats sit back slightly. Also had it complianced.

Rod
AnswerID: 23546

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:11

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:11
What year Defender do you drive Rod?

I didn't think it would be to much of a hassle getting it sorted its just good to hear first hand from those who have done something about it. (And how it was done).

Have you done any other mods?
FollowupID: 15742

Follow Up By: Rod - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:02

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:02
My 1985 110 is actually pre the Defender naming. Still coil sprung and shares the same seat ergonomics. Larger people sometimes complain about lack of elbow room and the hand brake rubbing on their left leg. I have heard of people relocating the handbrake and removing the centre console and moving each seat 1" towards the centre. I do not have any further details but anything is possible with this big mecchano set.

I'm not a big person so these are not issues for me, even after driving it round Oz for 4 months.

Landrovers tend to polarise people. You will either love them or hate them. You can guess which camp I'm from.
FollowupID: 15747

Reply By: candef - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 12:35
I am 6'4" and 95kg and have no problem driving a defender. I am on my second one and absolutely love them. Yes it is a bit tighter than normal but that is what you get when you want an upright position to see all corners of the vehicle. The thing with Defenders is that they need to have a place in your heart to make sense. If you are just out there looking to tick off a check list of vehicle requirements it is not going to work, if this is the case buy a toyota. Once you get used to sitting in it there are no problems. I did 6000km in 8 days last year and loved every minute of it. If you learn to handle the seating change and get one then welcome to the world of Defenders...
AnswerID: 23562

Reply By: Member - Timothy - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 19:02

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 19:02
I agree with the post above : )Defender Extreme
AnswerID: 23588

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 22:20
Im at a total loss as to why Land Rover think my knees need their own air con vents. The silly thing is when your 6ft3 your knees push directly into where the cold air pumps out. Takes a good 5 mins to defrost the knees before walking is possible

But as many have said, its a love hate thing, and im obviously an arrogant sub 30's male who cant understand why!

Saying that my parents went round oz 30 yrs ago in a series 1 land rover and dad still raves about the damm things!

Cheers,
AnswerID: 23602

Follow Up By: RichardLOZ - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:13

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:13
I have just got out of a Pajero into a 2003 Defender. Yes it sure is a different animal to drive and does take a little getting used to. I am 6'2" and fit quite comfortably in the drivers seat. You do get used to the seats and I am sure in time so will the kids who are in the back wining for the old Pajero comfort....LOL.

Richard
FollowupID: 15851

Reply By: Alan H - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:26
I bought a new Defender approx 3 months ago and have just completed my first trip away..... Carnarvon and back to wet and windy Perth. No probs. with the seating and I'm about 6' 1" (184 cms I think) and about 94kg.
Apparently the seats can be set back a bit as I drove a second hand vehicle once which did have more room for drivers, but slightly less in the back.
Yes it is an old fashioned and ergonomically unfriendly vehicle but I can put up with that ..... the body will fit gradually as it has all other types of vehicle in the past. Try sitting in some of these bloody ubeaut utes if you want real seating probs. where seating room is sacrificed for load space.
Anyway. it went well in the dirt, more comfortable than my Discovery was, pulled my van weighing 1.5 tonne easily where the 300 tdi struggled.
Very importantly when road trains went past you heard the blast from their slipstream rather than felt it.
Had a few niggling troubles but these have been made to appear worse by the rotten aftersales service from Barbagallo here in the West.
Overall I'm well satisfied with the it.
AnswerID: 24043

Sponsored Links