BACK-OUT Winch fitting ..

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 15:55
ThreadID: 56623 Views:3504 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
A few years back, a mate got caught up in Savory Creek. He had driven in and got stuck, with nothing close to the front to winch off. Only option was to feed the winch cable back under the vehicle and back winch out. Needless to say, this operation didn't do the winch cable much good, or some components under the vehicle.
Anyhow- I was doing a bit of welding over the weekend, and knocked up a bracket that fits onto the front fairlead of a typical Warn setup. Adapted a 140mm dia. cable guide pulley (about the same size of a Snatch Block pulley).
At the rear a RHS fitting goes into the H/R receiver- with a stainless steel deadeye.
Now the cable runs neatly under the Troopy- just clearing the axle housings, and the rear guide allows a little bit of directional pulling.
It takes about 5 mins. to attach & setup.
In theory & with a light load all looks good. May just try in in anger this weekend.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 16:10

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 16:10
Sounds great Signman.

On my Patrol you can throw the plasma winch cable straight underneath the car and pull backwards as there are no sharp edges and the plasma rope runs over the axle tubes without issue.

Looses more than 1/2 its pull strength though and its easy to get off angle.
An eye bolt on the towbar would be good to help however don't need to pull out backwards much and have found the current capability for little cost to be adequate.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298446

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 16:19

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 16:19
Ok Robin,
I guess I'll shelve that one then.
Heck, I was gunna to give it a spurt of black paint and sell it to ARB for a motza.
Back to the drawing board !!!!!

FollowupID: 564556

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:43
Saw a setup like you describe on a 60 series in the Birdsville caravan Park approx 3-4 years ago.

Wire rope out and over a downwards projecting pulley, so that it cleared the steering gear, then under the front diff, through and under the rear diff, then out the rear through a guide with a pulley on each side for lateral pull. The rear guide welded to a RHS tube, fitted into the Rear bar receiver.

The owner reckoned it worked a treat, however he recommended (and did himself) leave the rope , out, under and attached to the rear at all times, because apparently it is nigh on impossible to run it to the rear when you have sunk the vehicle in sand or mud.

AnswerID: 298555

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:19
Hey Signman

that is a bloody good idea and one that has crossed my mind on several occassions but never got to the "thinking about design" stage

why shelve the idea?.......well worth putting some thinking effort into....in fact your post has motivated me to think again ....I will crawl under my cruiser tomorrow for a quick look at the apparent obstacles

first thought is that it needs to be centralised through a tow hitch at least

one day sitting stuck with no way forward we may all regret the effort not spent at home in the workshop....

go for it...everything to gain..nothing to lose

regards

bungarra
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 298565

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 00:23

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 00:23
When you say he had nothing close to the front to winch off, why didn't he use a ground anchor. I have been stuck a couple of times with not a an anchor point in site so I just buried my spare wheel & winched off that. No problem what so ever. However I was lucky that the ground was soft enough to dig the hole!!!Cheers.
AnswerID: 298584

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 08:15

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 08:15
G'day Topcat,
Have you been thru Savory Creek ??
FollowupID: 564714

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:30

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 09:30
Yes I have & like others mentioned if you think about it & go & look for a better crossing if it looks soft underground or has been cut up by previous crossings. When I went through there the creek crossing was reasonably dry & had no difficulty in crossing. Cheers.
FollowupID: 564731

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:55

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:55
All the old Acco's the army ran had that setup, although they had a nice big chassis rail to run the cable along.
AnswerID: 298604

Reply By: Mr Pointyhead - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:59

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:59
A lot of the new Victorian Government (DSE and Parks etc) land cruiser utes are now being fitted with dual winches. One is mounted normally in the Bull bar, the second is mounted at the back under the tray.
I have always wondered if you could make a rear bar, Kamar style, that incorporated a winch mount ?
AnswerID: 298607

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 21:40
I have a winch that is mounted in a cradle and lets you winch in any direction, It uses log jumper leads to power it .It has fittings to go in the towbar reciever but I need a longer one to clear the spare tyre,bit of a pain to carry but earns its keep.

Glenn.Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 564897

Sponsored Links