EPIRB now redundant...?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:31
ThreadID: 56645 Views:3065 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it looked so interesting figured I'd better share it.

http://www.findmespot.com

Basically a EPIRB type device but with the ability to send multiple kinds of signals and also the ability to track your location and display it on the internet.

Awesome if your traveling and trying to keep the relo's up on where you are or want the ability to raise an alert ie breakdown without having the national guard called out.

Matt

PS Not connected with the product, just REALLY impressed with it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike w (WA) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:49

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 21:49
75 troopy,

posted some info on this a few weeks ago. Looks to be a good peice of kit. It would be interesting to see how well it works in Aus ie support and redirection of contact of emergency services within aus. Its definitely covered satellite wise.

Im planning on doing some more investigation in the coming weeks, just got to get exams out the way first

Good find tho,

Mike
AnswerID: 298559

Follow Up By: 75Troopy - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:01

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:01
DOH..!

Sorry missed that Mike..

Apparently Oz is one of the countries supported some of the guys in the paragliding group are ordering in the units.

Will post when they have arrived and let you know how it goes.

Matt
FollowupID: 564681

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:03

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:03
Matt,

that would be great. Looking into getting one later in the year if they are viable to cover all my other outdoor pursuits.

Will wait to hear

Mike
FollowupID: 564849

Reply By: Member - David P (VIC) - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:40

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:40
I understand international aviation SAR (search &rescue) are driving this system. Saves heaps compared to the old system of complex search patterns....silverback
AnswerID: 298567

Reply By: Oldman - Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:53

Monday, Apr 14, 2008 at 22:53
I had a look at the Web site.

Seems the answer to every thing if as good as it says,

Replace EPIRB, Sat Phone (if only used for emergencies) even perhaps HF if also used for emergencies.

Any way lets hope it is as it is definitely a good option - may be
and that it does not cost a fortune.

AnswerID: 298571

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:27

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 07:27
A close read of the "Terms and Conditions" reveals that it uses the Globalstar uplink to connect to the emergency services.
We all know how reliable that is!!!
They also take no responsibility for poor coms, lost messages etc etc.
Might wait and see how they go, certainly couldn't be relied upon at least in Oz.
AnswerID: 298600

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:02

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 19:02
There was some info posted in the previous thread where some more investigating was undertaken. This system uses globalstar, but no the system used for voice calls, which is apparently a more reliable system with greater coverage.
FollowupID: 564848

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:11

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:11
No, it will definitely not make EPIRBs redundant.

A GPS enabled 406 EPIRB will let emergency service know your position to within a few metres within minutes - not wait for the next satellite pass.

When aircraft are sent to search for you, they will be able to home in on the 121.5 signal that all 406 EPIRBs put out.

All of this is supported by an international system designed for reliability, not to make a profit using a commercial satellite network.
AnswerID: 298655

Reply By: timglobal - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 22:43

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2008 at 22:43
* I have one *
So am not guessing on this :-)

I have only done some preliminary tests, however...
- It works happily in Oz and with Oz credit cards for subs
- It uses the L data system, not the problematic S voice system of GlobalStar
- It presents an accuracy of around 6-10m (enough in my book)
- In help and 911 it can provide a constantly updating GPS location, so no real need to home in on a signal - just follow a GPS fix
- It provides a level of communication other than the binary - off / get everything here now - option of an EPIRB
- Allows 3 levels of check-in - OK simple check-in, Pan-pan style HELP and finally 911 mayday level.
- Limited user variable notification and messaging
- User serviceable (double-edged sword?) on the battery front
- Good coverage in Oz and elsewhere
- No excuses for seeing the dolly bird when you've said you're off-road :-)

Will advise about any experience updates. No, I don't have shares, just like it so far.

Thought for discussion - it allows emails to be sent for Pan-Pan style messages - would Exploroz or clubs consider accepting these (as part of the 5 you can email) to provide an ad-hoc assistance to known guests (members only?)

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

T
AnswerID: 298777

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:05

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 00:05
If I read the info on the site there is an on-going annual fee of about US$150 per year to subscribe to the sattelitte service - if you want the basic plus the google maps tracking option - am I correct?
FollowupID: 564928

Sponsored Links