Electro 3 stage chargers any good ??

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 07:31
ThreadID: 56683 Views:11460 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 3 stage Smart charger that I had hard wired to the 4b died after less than 2 years of service, not very happy.Was intending to go for a CTEK which from what I have read are supposed to be good quality units, however while over at the caravan accessories place at Geebung yesterday I noticed a 3 stage charger called an Electro, wondered if any one has any experience good or bad to pass on.They don't seem too badly priced 15 amp was $ 280 ish, there is also an over temp sensor option available for $40 the sales bloke was saying this helps protect the charger, if the battery gets too hot while being charged, charger will shut down and restart when battery has cooled sufficiently. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:31

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:31
Hi Guy,

Good question, I'm looking for a good quality charger myself, Hopfully someone has experience with these

Rgds
iAN
AnswerID: 298824

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:25

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 09:25
Does the info with the charger contain a web site that you can post for us? Is there any switching to change the charge characteristics of its output to suit different batteries? If so is there one for your battery? What are the output voltages for each of these settings.

At the price you quoted it could be a good unit, not too cheap but then again not one of the top quality ones. However you have to be able to answer the questions I have posed above to get the answers or post them on this forum for further replies. (Unless of course someone with first hand experience with the particular model can reply to you.)

Generally a charger with a temperature sensor uses it to vary the charging output voltage in sympathy with the battery temperature. Batteries require less voltage to charge them as they get hotter. I see this as treating your batteries more kindly rather than a safety device (which, however is a secondary feature.)

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 298832

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:01

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:01
Have a look at Dereks site for a charger that seems similar.
I have one and its really good

www.sidewinder.com.au

Support our members
AnswerID: 298848

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 15:55

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 15:55
Why not stay with a Ctek with a 5 year warranty.

Regards Richard
AnswerID: 298871

Follow Up By: wheeleybin - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 17:46

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2008 at 17:46
The Electro Parts Chargers are made My Manson Engineering in Hong Kong.
Manson is an old firm and make some excellent equipment.
There are quite a few wholesalers in Aus selling manson Products under their own brand name.
FollowupID: 565057

Sponsored Links