Water filters

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 13:14
ThreadID: 56721 Views:1391 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to buy a water filter for the van, the one I am thinking of getting is the twin blue water filter with a 5 micron Poly Spun Sediment Filters and a .5 micron Poly Spun Sediment Filters. Is this the way to go? or should I look at something else?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 15:06

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 15:06
Hi Nomad,

Depends on what you want to do. That type of filter will only remove sediments and suspended solids. It may make the water look clean but will have no real affect on taste and will not make the water "safe" if it was unsafe in the first place.

You may want to add a carbon filter as one of the cartridges, that will remove most taste but still will not make the water "safe". But it will remove any chlorine so this type of filter should only be used after the van tank, not as you are filling the tank. Otherwise you remove the chlorine (sanitising agent) and then store the water - great place to grow bugs!

To sanitise the water, you will need to add some type of treatment to kill bacteria etc... Thats why tap water has the chlorine in the first place (and why it tastes so bad!).

Overall, if the water has already been sanitised and just has taste and sediment issues, then the filter you have described with a carbon cartridge will be fine. If you need to sanitise as well, I recommend adding Aquasafe to your tanks (available from Davey Pump distributors - used for treating rainwater tanks)- its what I use!

Cheers

Captain

AnswerID: 299022

Follow Up By: Nomad 34 (WA) - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 18:20

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 18:20
Thanks, At this present time we will only be using tap water, but in the future we may need to go to something a bit better, I will look into what you have suggested. I also have read Rev's Threads.

Thanks from.

Nomad 34
FollowupID: 565205

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 17:59

Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 17:59
Presumably you are only filtering the "drinking" water?
ALDI have a 2 filter system on sale for $99.....
AnswerID: 299042

Sponsored Links