Snow fun

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 14:04
ThreadID: 5673 Views:1868 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a day trip on Sunday to give the Patrol a play in the snow! Does anyone have any ideas of some good spots about 2 hrs drive from Melbourne, where you can muck around in the snow without hurting anyone?

I havn't done much snow driving, but I am guessing that there is some similarity to sand regarding tyre pressure - ie lower the better. Would that be right.

Thanks

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:04

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:04
HI Petprass, my only concern is what could be under the snow, would be a shame to rip the sump out from under your vehicle, not to mention the tow cost and the repairs. At least with sand theres a fair chance there is just more sand below, happy playing, Best regards michael
AnswerID: 23575

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:39

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 18:39
gday petprass.
at the moment im trying to organise something with truckster/toonfish or anyone from here for a sunday in the snow at mt skene .
was looking at going this sunday but not looking good yet might try for next or following sunday.
have to catch up with truckster.
but let me know.
also trying to tee up toonfish.
looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 23586

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:13

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:13
g'day Diamond how ya dooing
Yeah looks like this weekend is out for me unfortunately (family dramas) but next week sounds good i also had a look at Knox 4 x 4 web site for mt skene trips and think a navara went along so maybe i'll give it a go if others are going .
I' catch up with you tommorow re other info.

cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
FollowupID: 15792

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:56

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:56
If the following weekend is better, then go with it, I can wire up the fridge and work around house this weekend!!!!
FollowupID: 15794

Follow Up By: petprass - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:21

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:21
Thanks Diamond - unfortunately Sunday week is booked for something else. I will probably still go this Sunday even though Andy below says that it may not be the best - just got this urge to get out this weekend.

Is the best wat to Mt. Skene via Licola?

Peter
FollowupID: 15807

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:12

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:12
We went thru mansfield, thru Jamieson, and out the other side of town, and up the hill!

Nice easy run, I had someone in a new car to them, so didnt want to push it.
FollowupID: 15839

Reply By: andy - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:00

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:00
You will not have to worry about snow depth unless you are driving a subaru or similar. At the moment there is only 30 cm of snow above 1500 metres which counts out most of the victorian ranges. The best places 2 hours out of Melb would be Mt Skene, Jamieson area, and around Marysville-Matlock. At the moment the weather up here is really warm with warm northerlies and rain forecast for the next 2 days so what snow there is may be gone by Saturday night. Check with Parks Vic and DNRE as most Alpine tracks were closed 2 weeks ago. There are big fines for getting caught on some of these roads in the closed period. I live at Mt Buller and the snoiw here does not go much below 1500 metres at the moment so getting a good snow drive this weekend will not be all that good. Wait until we get a cold snap and it goes down to 600 metres and you will get a snow drive in most of the great dividing range. Andy
AnswerID: 23592

Follow Up By: petprass - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:23

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:23
Thanks Andy - good information.

BTW - regarding tyre pressures, does it help to lower the pressure when driving in snow?

Peter
FollowupID: 15808

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:05

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 20:05
Lake Mountain..

search web for live cams from up there, will tell you what snow is around.

Mt Skene is good, when you get off the track it gets deep (up to cods), but main tracks are upto 2 feet 2 weeks ago at Mt Skene..

I still havent got parole yet.
AnswerID: 23594

Reply By: andy - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 18:21

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 18:21
I have never lowered tyre pressures ever for snow driving. I have worked in and around the snowfields for 18 years and driven all kinds of 4x4s in all conditions including 3 foot deep on the alpine way to Thredbo before the road was sealed. The crucial things that have always made the difference to me in order to 'get through' the big dumps is having tyres that have good tread. By that I mean a square edge on the tread lugs that will be doing the pushing. If the edge of each tread lug is really square (ie not worn or rounded off) then you will get great traction up and downhill. As soon as the tread rounds off a bit when the tyres are a bit worn then it will have an effect on uphill traction and downhill engine breaking. If you lose traction then th ebest option is simple. Fit chains. They are awesome in th esnow on a 4x4. As a rule if going uphill put them on the rear (especially if you have an LSD or rear locker) and going downhill to aid engine breaking and steering put them on the front wheel. I am not sure if lowering tyre pressure works. I have never tried it in snow. Someone else may have tried it. It is snowing here at 1400 metres at the moment at Buller. 6.30 Friday.

Have fun. Andy
AnswerID: 23674

Follow Up By: petprass - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 08:08

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 08:08
Thanks Andy for the tyre pressure advice - I have fairly new Cooper S/T's 285/75/16 which have quite agressive square side lugs. From what you say they should be excellent for the snow. Also don't tell anyone on this forum, but i reckon they are pretty good in the sand as well - after testing them on Fraser Island, Robe and the NSW mid coast beaches.

Peter
FollowupID: 15875

Sponsored Links