Good Nick 2nd Hand - what sort of price premium is it worth??

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2008 at 23:35
ThreadID: 56742 Views:3668 Replies:11 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm looking around for a replacement truck, and as luck would have it found one in yesterdays local rag that is one of those trucks that only occassionally come up.

It's a 99 GU ST 4.2 Turbo Diesel with just under 100,000km on the clock. It has a nudge bar and tow bar and a UHF but that's about it.

It's been in the hands of the couple that own it since new, serviced every 5000km by a local bloke with a good rep. They've done a little towing in it but not much - sold the van 4 years ago.

It's nothing short of immaculate. Spectacularly immaculate. Back seats never been used, seems a shame to put the kids in it immaculate.

Only problem is the price. They've advertised it for $35,000. And they won't budge. Well yet...

I've done my homework on the values and the book values private sale are for an average of 150,000km or more and the top end of the range is in the mid $22,000 region.

RACV insurance would insure it market value for $25,300 and wouldn't give agreed value for much more than $27,000.

So $35,000 seems well over the top.

So forumites, what is a reasonable premium to pay for a truck in really good nick with lower than average kms?

For $35,000 I could go back to looking at 100 series Cruisers....

Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OzTroopy - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 00:51

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 00:51
The difference between asking price and insurable value would probably be the clincher that stopped me from going for it.

Dont forget to factor in your current accessories/gear to be swapped over from your old vehicle, into the equation for insurance purposes
AnswerID: 299115

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 00:58

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 00:58
Oops.......forgot the important bit. If it was really good and I was totally hooked on it, I'd go $5k over market. Im not city based though, so risk of it going missing one night is reduced considerably.
FollowupID: 565283

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 07:46

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 07:46
My insurance company has just told me the value of these cars have increased over the last 12 months and my new agreed value is 29+ with a few accessories on my 2000 4.2T GU but mine has done huge k's at 350000.

$35G for a 99 is over the top regardless of condition.....just under $30 for an immaculate one would be worth a second look but nothing over this for me.

Good luck.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 299126

Follow Up By: Off-track - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 16:17

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 16:17
Hang on, are you saying that your 2000 with 350000km is worth $29000 but a 1999 with <100000km and immaculate is not worth anything over $30000?
FollowupID: 565338

Follow Up By: mowing - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 19:36

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 19:36
Off-track, This part had me confusssed also!!

Mark
FollowupID: 565359

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:08

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:08
Sorry guys, I should be more clear. I have plenty of accessories which gives the price of 29K, agreed, an over-inflated feel to a standard 2000 Patrol price. Also what the insurance company and me feel is market price of these trucks is different, I don't think they are worth what other people are paying, which is what the insurance company goes by. They feel mid 20's for a high km 2000 Patrol is OK in standard trim, I feel early 20's at best for a high km (like mine) with no accessories Patrol is more closer to "my" expectations.

So, I think under 30G for this "immaculate" 99 would be worth another look otherwise "I" would keep looking. As always, I respect other people may have varying opinions and each to their own is always my philosophy. I think up to 5 or so grand extra is OK for an immaculate vehicle compared to an average truck and 5 or so grand less for one with very high k's is reasonable, depending on other damage of course.

Regards, Trevor.
FollowupID: 565575

Follow Up By: Off-track - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:55

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:55
Now I'm with ya!
FollowupID: 565747

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:48

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:48
Dave,

Just as an aside, before I bought the 105 Toyota, I had a hard look at a 99 4.2 Turbo Patrol with just over 100k in very good nick. It had F & R ARB difflocks, with compressor, ARB Winch bar and 9000 Warn winch, OME suspension package, LR Tank and 285/75x16 tyres.

Whilst it looked in great condition, I found it felt a little 'loose' driving it, particularly the gearbox. Inspection by 4WD mech stated that it had a tiny bit of rust in the chassis - evidence of at least some beach work.

He wanted $30k for it at the time. In the end I opted for the 105, with 45k on the clock, which I bought at auction for $30k even, with ARB bar, 12k Warn winch Cargo barrier, dual batteries (since been changed over to my own system).

It's probably cost me more to turn the 105 into a decent touring rig and I still don't have the lockers, LR tank or turbo. I do miss the power of forced induction, but it is probably a more comfortable tourer than the Patrol would be, though with some inherent weaknesses. The 4.2 Patrol is a great package and is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it. Perhaps wait around a little and if he gets what he wants for it, so be it, but if not, he may accept a lower offer at a later stage.

Did you run out of jobs to do on the Courier? You country ambos have way too much time on your hands ;-)

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 299146

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:17

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:17
Dave,
You might also need to factor in a 5th gear repair if it hasn't been done yet. I'm pretty sure the 99 models were affected.
AnswerID: 299147

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 13:32

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 13:32
Do you know how long they've been advertising it for?
Maybe if you go to them with $30 000 in cash then they might change their tune.
AnswerID: 299180

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 15:15

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 15:15
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

It seems I'm on the right track.

A couple of things for some of the replies. I too looked at auctions for the normally aspirated Cruisers - similar sort of package to that described above - and wondered what it would cost to Turbo it later.

I'm also wondering if there would be much difference between towing with one of those normally aspirated and the non intercooled Patrol 4.2 Turbo.

As it's only been advertised a few days I'm probably not going to gain much other than look overly interested by going back with $30,000 cash just yet. There are a few with much better accessory lists on the online advertising sites with similar kms for 30 grand.

As for Mark's question about the project list for the Courier, you are on the money. I have pretty much got it just where I want it and it's a fantastic touring package, but when we towed the Kanga out of Shep heading for Broken Hill and places further west we didn't have to contend with all the silly hills that someone dumped down this end of the state. I need a truck with a little more in the underbonnet pony department to tour comfortably down here. I don't want to prematurely end the Couriers life by overworking it when someone who doesn't want to tow heavy loads could still do two laps of the country in it without lifting a spanner to it.

Getting a Patrol or Cruiser will guarantee a good touring package for someone, as I'm only going to pull a few bits off it. The rest won't fit in/on a wagon.

Dave
AnswerID: 299192

Follow Up By: Davo_60 - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 18:47

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 18:47
G'Day,

I would consider what benefit you will get from an immaculate vehicle over a very good vehicle for the extra 5k or so given that you may use it for touring etc rather than just for looks. For 35k you have plenty of other options. Good luck,

Dave
FollowupID: 565354

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 21:29

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 21:29
Dave,

If you reckon you need a little more puff for getting up the hills, I would cross out the N/A cruiser. I'm happy just putting along in mine at the moment, but now that I have a camper trailer, I do find it lacking somewhat.

To turbo the 105 is a fairly involved task, particularly if you want to do it properly and have the engine last a long time. There is a number of great posts on the lcool forum about turbo-charging the 1HZ motor and the general consensus is that the later 1HZ's have lighter pistons than the older versions and thus are not as well suited to forced induction. The job would involve a fuel pump recalibration and injector service right from the start, followed by the turbo installation with intercooler and VERY careful attention to fuel settings and boost pressure, EGT gauges, fuel anaeroid installation and exhaust. I calculated that I wouldn't get much change out of $7k all up....maybe even a little more. APS were considered one of the best 'factory-looking' installations with great attention to detail.

If I had the spare readies, I would look around for a rolled low k's 80 series with the 1HDFT engine and do a transplant with mine (after full rebuild). Sell off all the bits I don't need and hopefully come out if it better than shelling out for a properly installed turbo. One of the lcool forum moderators has done just that and has tweaked things and added an intercooler and I don't think you would be able to pry this vehicle out of his cold dead fingers if you tried. He now calls it a HDJ105 (of which there were none made by toyota unfortunately).. He has the benefits of rigid front suspension and a turbo intercooled motor which from all reports goes very well and should have great longevity.....just dreaming a little.

Good luck in your search, Dave.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 565383

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 16:05

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 16:05
Mate of mine looked for 4+ mths for a 4.2, and prices are going up!
Since there is a GREAT demand for them, not being made anymore.

He got a 2001 for $35-36k. cant wipe the smile off his face with a chainsaw.
AnswerID: 299196

Reply By: Member - shane (SA) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 19:32

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 19:32
mate i think Trevor R is on the right track, 29000.00+. here is an excellent condition patrol, well looked after with the value going up not down each year. service history and one owner, i think you should give it a second look.
cheers shane.
AnswerID: 299208

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:15

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 22:15
Hi Shane,

Are you suggesting I give it a second look at $35k or make an offer at $29k+?

I'm looking at having to fork out at least $1200 for a set of off road tyres to replace the HT's on it.

A bull bar to put the winch in, and a duel battery system will add another $1000 if I can track down a decent second hand winch bar. Another $500 for a good second hand roof rack.

Stamp duty is going to be in the realm of $1200.

Suddenly it's a $40k truck worth $27k on insurance.

Given that you are limited in what you can insure once you start accessorising, generally at 30% of the value of the vehicle I'll end up under insured by about $20k by the time I add the HF radio, Glind, Compressor, roof rack.

I reckon if I could get it in the high $20k mark I'd buy it. But otherwise if I'm going shopping for a $40k truck it's back to looking for TD cruisers with some of that stuff already on it.

By the time I've been bush with it a few times and added a few of the inevitable pinstripes it'll have dropped from exeptionally tidy to just good nick which will depreciate it.

If I can find an '04 GU 4.2 with 100,000km on it for $30ish I'd be happier.

Signed

Confused

(Dave)
AnswerID: 299242

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:12

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:12
>> Suddenly it's a $40k truck worth $27k on insurance

... surely you would go agreed value, not market value ? Problem solved.

You already know its going to be 10-15k to setup ya new truck with it to a level of comfort and travel ready...

>> But otherwise if I'm going shopping for a $40k truck it's back to
but your not paying $40k for it. If you buy somethin for $40k, then your going another $10-15k for duty tires etc... so its a $55k truck

So if your going $55k trucks, you may as well look at new.

>> If I can find an '04 GU 4.2 with 100,000km on it for $30ish I'd be happier.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha so would 10,000 other people.
FollowupID: 565420

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:13

Friday, Apr 18, 2008 at 23:13
PS. Yes, for $30k it would be a good buy... If its "THAT" good it may stilll be a good buy at $33k...
FollowupID: 565421

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:49

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:49
Just a side note Dave, about your tyres. If you have 15" rims on the courier that fit the stud pattern of the Patrol, they will fit on an early (99) patrol no worries. So the tyres you already have may suit your new Patrol if you choose to go that way, and offload the H/T's when you offload the Courier????? just a thought.

Also out of interest, my uncle (mid 60's age bracket) has an 01 Patrol with 150K and it is seriously babied but has had heaps done to the motor like mine. He has replaced 5th gear and has o/back drawers ect ect (Top tourer). I am in regular contact with him and he is aware when he offloads his, I want first divvy if the price is right. At the moment we are at approx late 20's to 30G but he is still unsure if he wants to keep it or not. I would probably go to about 32G on his but if it ends up more than this I would let it walk even knowing the history of this rig and everything it's not worth more than that to me.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 565587

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:59

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 23:59
Thanks guys. Looks like I've had a win.

Looks like I've found a 2004 GU ST 4.2 that will suit me nicely.

Means I get ABS, the intercooled turbo, dual airbags, cruise control, trip computer and a 5 year younger vehicle. It's got 122k on the clock which is neither here nor there by comparison to the older one at nearly 100k.

It's also got a winch bar & decent driving lights on it so I won't have to buy a winch bar. And it's got near new all terrains on it so i can wait a while before sticking some ST's on it. It's not been off road other than some dirt road use.

At $37,000 it's a much better deal than the other one, and proves that they are around if you hunt for them.

Hopefully I pick it up on Wednesday.

Now all I have to do is work out what to sell the Courier for....

Dave
AnswerID: 299548

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:50

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:50
Sounds like you had a win. I considered I did well picking my '04 up for 42k (45,00km, ST-L). I have since spent about 6k on it......with a few more to go (its in at the moment getting taller and the lpg off the old 2.8 at the moment)

I finally have the vehicle I want, so I can justify spending the cash on accessories and the springs. Its hard to know where to stop. I'm happy with the performance, will be interesting to see how the gas goes on it.....but I have been offered a drive in one with the turbo upgrade and the fella who owns it thinks it will make me very dissapointed with mine. may be far cheaper not to take it for a drive.

I'll post a few photo's in a couple of weeks when the mods are finished!

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 565757

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:09

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:09
Ain't life funny.

After I buy one from the other end of the state that I wouldn't have looked for if the one around the corner was the right price, he's dropped the price. So much for if I can't sell it for my price I'll keep it. Maybe telling his wife that I'd gone to Hamilton to get one rather than buy his prompted him to reconsider.

Anyone looking for a clean GU you could do worse than this.
Country Cars GU advert

Dave
AnswerID: 301051

Sponsored Links