Cape York - List of spare parts for 100 TD

I am planning a trip to cape york in July/August (2008) this year and i am looking for a list of spare parts to take for a 100 series TD Landcruiser.
Yes we are taking a nissan patrol for all the nissan fans out there, 2 in fact, but i am working on a list of spares to take specifically for the toyota. Does anyone know of a list that will save me time in preperation? Hoses, Belts etc, part numbers??? Little spare that are some times forgotten. Hose clamps, cable ties, etc. (i know a spare radiator may come in handy!) Cheers

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JustT - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:16

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:16
Different Vehicle - But we took.

Top and bottom radiator hoses & clamps & some extra spare clamps & a spare set of belts, 2x new air filters, Duct tape, cable ties, wd40 & a good tool box.

The only thing we used was the air filters

None of us were particularly mechanically minded, so we decided there wasn't any point taking things we wouldn't be able to fix ourselves.

You have to weigh up the following.
How much space do I have?
If part X breaks – what’s the consequences?
If part X breaks – and I have a spare – can I fit it myself on the side of the track?

AnswerID: 299273

Follow Up By: SteveL - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:19

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:19
I agree that with the complexity of some modern vehicles many things are too difficult for your average person to fix.I still think it is a good idea to carry spares which can be fitted with the help of someone more knowledgable than yourself.There are very few places where there isn't some passing traffic that may be able to help you out.
FollowupID: 565480

Reply By: Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:28

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 09:28
What I do before a big trip is, replace the hoses and belts, and keep the old one's as spares, I also do a complete oil change through out whether it needs it or not.

I fine the more spares you take the less you need.

You mentioned a spare radiator, I guess you are talking about water Xings.

Try this.Radiator Guard.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 299274

Reply By: SteveL - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:03

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 13:03
I always bring a few different size / length bolts with nuts and a few washers.If the bolt is too long then you can use the washers as spacers.The bolts proved invaluable on our last trip as the bolts that hold the auxillary fuel tank broke on the road up to Mitchell Falls.Some large cable ties are also useful if anything rattles loose
and needs the be kept in place.e.g radiator mounts,fuel filters etc.
AnswerID: 299287

Reply By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 15:16

Saturday, Apr 19, 2008 at 15:16
Dave,

When I did a trip to the centre, I contacted All Four X 4 Spares in Kotara (Newcastle) who at the time offered a complete kit of typical spares such as top/bottom hoses. wheel studs, hose clamps, water pump, bearings, gaskets etc etc that you could hire. The contents was quite extensive.

You told them the type of vehicle you had and they would freight the box to you with a complete list of components inside as well as the prices.

When you sent it back, they checked the contents and if you had used anything then you were charged for those parts, but if the box was intact then the only cost was the weekly hire plus freight to and from Kotara.

We had 2 x 80 series in our trip so we just shred the cost, and thankfully we didn't have to use anything, so our all up cost for 4 weeks was about $70 (but that was back in 2002)

This meant that we didn't have to outlay the cost of parts we might not need ordinarily.

I don't know if they offer this service still, but might be worth checking out.

AnswerID: 299298

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:24

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:24
I saw a lot of Prados in Ireland. They were all panel vans!!!! You cannot trust the Irish.
FollowupID: 565580

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:31

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:31
I suggest to do a search on the site for Landcruiser 100 and make a list of things people complain about that went wrong. It will be a very short list. Perhaps you need to take zitch. Do a search for Nissan and see what they would have to take!!!! Probably a trailer load. Just stirring. As said above change belts, hoses, air and fuel filters and take some spare ones. Buy some fuel additive from Toyota to add to fuel bought in far away places.
AnswerID: 299413

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:44

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:44
A Land Rover? (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Can't add much to the comments of the others on parts but how about: tubes of silicone, 'Knead-it' metal cement, a roll of strong steel wire (not much that can't fix) and big (400-500 x 6-8mm) cable ties.

Good preparation for creek crossings:

. Find out exactly where your front and rear axle, gearbox and transfer case breathers vent. If not up to at least the top of the firewall, extend (or fit, if they don't exist) them until they do.
. Make sure your lower door seals are in good order unless you like damp, smelly carpets.
. If you have a snorkel, make sure all the hoses and joints leading to the airbox are watertight. (and the hoses/ducts out of the airbox, of course). Many air boxes have water drain holes in the bottom - not much good having a snorkel if the airbox can fill up from below if you stop in deep water. Seal them with silicone, at least for the this trip.
. Mechanical injection pumps have a breather under the boost compensator capsule. This can suck in water if you stop in the deep stuff. Not sure if you 100TD would suffer from this but be aware that crossing water deeper then the "handbook" wading depth can expose thing to water that we never mean to cope with it - especially electronic bits including the engine management computer...

Enjoy the Cape. Ian
AnswerID: 299435

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:47

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 14:47
Sorry for the typos. My brain can compose faster then my fingers (two) can type...
FollowupID: 565600

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:08

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:08
a spare radiator (extreme i know) or atleast a good radiator repair kit. the most common thing i have heard of with 100 series cruisers up the cape is fans destroying radiators on water crossings. i snapped a blade off of my fan and put some nasty gouges in the radiator when i was up there in 2006, luckily i didn't hole it and i had to get a new fan flown into weipa
AnswerID: 299447

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:14

Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 16:14
Didn't you see my post??

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 565610

Sponsored Links