Chescold fridge & vechicle batt.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:00
ThreadID: 5680 Views:4742 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I was just wondering what you would recommend I do if i want to connect a Chescold fridge to me ute. I wanted to run it via the cig lighter, but I do have a CB running of that also and also an inverter.
Can anyone tell me which way I should do it, i understand its better to do it straight from the battery.
What i was thinking was if i got another battery and ran it off that, and then recharded it when i reached below 10v (cause I have to use the inverter first as I lost the cig cable to the chescold) so chescold > mains cable > inverter > batt. What do i do to recharge the spare battery when it is used ? any other suggestions? (I am planning on using several things via the cig lighter, any suggestions and is this ok? like i might use the inverter (via cig ligter), the CB, and Discman all from the ciglighter..I dont think thats too good, what can I do?)

Thanks for your help, and sorry if its confusing. Just imagine a guy with a few power consuming devices and wants to run them all from his batt.

Cheers,

Olie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:19

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 16:19
Do an archive search, key words duel batteries, all your questions & some will be answered there.Regards Bob
27th June Gulf trip
AnswerID: 23576

Reply By: Ferret - Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:19

Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 17:19
Chescolds, are not really designed to run on 12v. Very inefficient!! Good on 240 and gas though. On 12v it will pull about 10amps and flatten your battery in under an hour. If you must (ie chuck it in the car while travelling, run on gas when you get there) fit, or have fitted a dedicated heavy duty plug/socket and cabling straight to your battery(second battery of duel batt system). Keep the cig lighter for your low load stuff.
Ferret
AnswerID: 23580

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:39

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:39
Aussie

As others have said the Chesscold is not great on 12V. I have a chescold and only ever run it on 240 or gas. By careful mangement of frozen and refrigerated foods using the chesscold and a large eski we have managed to go two weeks between butchers. We trravel as a family of 5 and that two weeks was on Cape York in May, travelling most days.

We run the fridge on gas overnight, that is usually enough to bring the temperature down so stuff in the side near the fins is frozen and the rest of the fridge is cool enough to keep the marg spreadable. We keep most of the frozen food in the eski and minimise air space in there. With a mix of frozen and vacuum packed meat two weeks is achievable.

I had my fridge serviced at the same time as a mate with the same model. The guy who did the service was very surprised that my mates fridge would actually drop the temp on 12v. He claimed never to have seen that before. He said mine was more typical in that it would, on a good day, hold the temp on 12v. That is not a great recomendation as it will almost do that not connected if I keep the lid closed. The other thing is that to work at all it MUST be level. That is difficult to achieve travelling along in the car.

If you must run a fridge while travelling then look for something else.

Good luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 23662

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:05

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:05
How unfortunate to read mis informed information on such a great forum. I have had a Chescold Fridge for 4 years and it DOES work fine on 12 Volt. I have a VX Commodore Acclaim Waggon and have an outlet in the back wired direct to the existing battery. As a safety precaution I have it set up so that when the ignition is turned off so is the fridge. (No flat battery). Now I have travelled a fair bit of Australia and in 40 Degree plus heat (remember that the A/C is always on as well so cabin temp. is not all that high) and the element in the fridge will actually frost up while travelling and keeps all contents cold. Can't have hot homebrewed beer at the end of the day. Have gone shopping for an hour and come back to the car and the element is still frosted with no power going at all. I have found the fridge works great if you turn it upside down two days before you turn it on and then fill up with food and beverages and away you go. It certainly works excellent on Gas and 240Volt but works just fine on 12 Volt as well. Maybe I have been lucky but as there are not too many 12 Volt/ Gas/ 240 Volt fridges on the market. I could not go past the Chescold.
AnswerID: 23900

Sponsored Links