80 series transfer case

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2008 at 21:02
ThreadID: 56829 Views:1522 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all haven't been on for ages but need help. coming home the other night and heard and felt a god awful BANG, and a grating noise, got out and checked underneath the old girl and could spin the front prop shaft with no reistence at all.

limped home in low range (low 5) and thought it must be the front diff, removed front prop shaft but now have no drive at all, seems the transfer case is putting power out the front shaft but not the rear.

it has low range but no high range. any help would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:00

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:00
I had similar symptoms when out of Adelaide River and it turned out to be a busted cv joint.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299558

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:00

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:00
Geoff
couple of things....is it a constant 4wd? If so, you have probably worn out the drive flange on one side...or less probably busted teeth off the front diff or less common, a front c/v...(which should have gave you steering issues too) In constant this will cause the front shaft to spin as you say, u need to lock centre diff in to get drive to rear. putting it in low does this automatically...you dont have ABS do u...your piccies are of an early 90-92, the reason i ask is some had abs and no centre diff switch for high range...this would explain why you needed low range. My guess is a drive flange and c/v spline have finally let go...this would mean you have been experiancing alot of backlash...common on early cruisers, later ones had wider spline areas to alieviate this...take the dust caps off and put it in gear....you will soon see the shaft turning if this is the case...
Andrew
AnswerID: 299623

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff W (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 22:17

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 22:17
thanks jack and dozer, well it seems to be putting power out the front of the transfer but not the rear in high range but both in low. i spoke to a mechanic who has advised me that it is the transfer case. thanks again and have a safe and happy long w/end if you have one !
FollowupID: 566337

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:27

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 08:27
Geoff
The other thing ive heard of is the centre diff going bang....if you dont have ABS, there is a transfer case on ebay finishing soon for $200
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/80-series-cruiser-gxl-transfer-case_W0QQitemZ290223307790QQihZ019QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
AnswerID: 300215

Sponsored Links