Air greese gun

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:54
ThreadID: 56843 Views:3478 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of a compressed air grease gun that will work with one of the portable air compressors such as the one I have, 12vlt Maxair air compressor. Some guns that I have researched work at pressures from 40psi to 120psi. Also wondering if the Maxair needs to have a small air tank to store the compressed air. If so how much pressure will the maxair be able to store.

Cheers
jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:06

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:06
I'd think any air-powered grease gun would work provided you have the required pressure and volume of air. Any decent 12V compressor should be able to charge a small tank to 100psi.

The cylinder of the air-powered guns I've used look to be about 200mL in volume, so a storage tank with, say, 10 times that volume or about 2L + should have plenty of capacity to give a couple of pumps before needing to re-charge. Time to re-charge the tank will depend on compressor capacity but shouldn't take too long.

If you need rapid grease pumping, you'll obviously need a bigger compressor and bigger tank. Make sure the tank is rated for the pressure you'll be using and has a proper relief valve.

Ian
AnswerID: 299588

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:29

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:29
Thanks Ian

I want to be able to grease all points while on extended trips so I won't need a large tank or compressor. I have seen pics of compressed air stored in roll bars etc. I also thought of using my spare type as a tank with 50psi inflated pressure. I might get a few pumps this way. What do you think?
Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 565779

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:31

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:31
I meant 'spare tyre'
FollowupID: 565780

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:57

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:57
I have a max-air plumbed up to a 3L receiver tank with a check valve. I haven't tried it on an air-grease gun, but it should work quite okay. I often use the small tank to blow dust out of air filter etc and it has a good blast. I control the pressure in the system with an ARB solenoid off their air-lockers. Max pressure is about 95psi and it cuts the compressor in again at around 75psi.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 299594

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:54

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:54
By the way, does anybody know where to buy a smaller fitting for the end of a grease gun? I remember reading something Roothy (4WD Monthly mag) said once, about having a smaller fitting that made it easier to get the nozzle into tight spots (like the uni joints at each end of the tail shafts).

Any ideas?

Roachie

FollowupID: 565796

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:24

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:24
Try you're local CBC branch. They stock Tecalimit stuff. Some grease guns have screw on ends with either flexi or rigid tubes, some are swaged on. If swaged on, you're knackered unless you buy a new tube. From memory they do one that is about 20mm long and the standard diameter. I think there is also a 90 degree version - hole on the side. You can also put remote grease points in certain places (not on your tailshaft though???) We do this regularly on SPM's for the food industry.
FollowupID: 565839

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 20:20

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 20:20
The gun i'm looking requires a flow of 5cfm at 40psi min up to 130psi so I guess the question is can my spare tyre our your 3ltr tank provide enough air at these specs to grease one or two nipples at a time before refill. Time is of no consequence as there are only eight or so to do.
Cheers and thanks
Jack
FollowupID: 565858

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:22
Bushpig, the factors you need to know are;

1. actual FAD of compressor at a given pressure - say for example, 2.3 cfm @ 145 PSIG (10 bar Gauge pressure)
2. Air consumption of the gun at a given pressure (say 60 PSI to pump grease through the grease nipple hole)

Then the following needs to be determined -

1. Utilisation factor of grease gun - duration of usage as a percentage of a minute. i.e. 0.1 minutes per grease nipple = 0.5cfm. Therefore, the actual FAD required is very minimal.

If you put 130 PSI in a receiver and draw off at a regulated lower pressure of say 60 PSI you will get more air out than you put in, so to speak. (ntthat simple, you need to understand the principles of Free Air Delivery, that reciprocating compressors are positive displacement - what goes in comes out, minus efficiency losses,etc, and a few other bits of scientific know how).

So, a small receiver of 3 - 5L it may provide enough air to do a couple of grease points before refilling. Fair chance in fact.

IMPORTANT - make sure you have the correct rated safety valve on the receiver because if you over pressurise it and it blows up it can kill you (or someone you're fond of, like your dog or your mate that brings the beer and crabs). Do not make your own. And your compressor will need a pressure switch if it is to work properly without over-pressurising the receiver or burning the motor out.

While in the compressed air industry I saw some shockers - disasters waiting to happen. Don't take the risk. Same for your spare tyre - not designed to hold 130 PSI.

Sorry about the long winded reply but it's not a simple thing to say yes it will work or no it won't.

FollowupID: 565880

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:48

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:48
I think your wasting your time. GREASE ....not greese guns will need a larger supply of air than any little piddling 12v compressor will deliver , in effect it won't keep up.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299632

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:08

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:08
Wouldn't it depend on the type of use he's planning, Doug?

I reckon on my Patrol there are only 6 grease nipples (3 on each tail shaft/uni) in all and I'd say that'd be the same on most modern 4bys. With that number to do, and with a small receiver tank like the one I've got, I don't think he'd have any worries at all.

YMMV......

Roachie
FollowupID: 565810

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:52

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:52
mini grease gun and mini grease cartridges, far less room required to stow these and they do the job very well.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 299659

Reply By: Louie the fly - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:31

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:31
Why not pack 2 or 3 1/4 BSP fittings and a ring spanner - RYCO & the other 2 common types who's names escape me momentarily.Rock up to the local servo in whatever town you're in, ask the owner, select the appropriate fitting to match the servo's air hose. Plug in, pump some lube, and viola, Bob's your uncle. They shouldn't mind, especially if you're buying fuel and stuff. Then no need to fa with tanks & shyte.
AnswerID: 299681

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 15:54
Thanks heaps for your input. looks like I will go with the small hand type and leave the Bushman to pump up tyres.I like your thoughts on using the servo's air after buying fuel of course.

Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 566011

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:05

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:05
I have just done a search and found thisBushranger kit Perhaps I should have done this before my post. Oh well sorted now.
cheers all for your feedback
AnswerID: 300284

Sponsored Links