We survived the Corner Country (without a Toyota)

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:40
ThreadID: 56849 Views:3454 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My wife and I just got back on Saturday from our two week little trip visiting the Corner Country in a Holden Monterey and a camper trailer.
We left Brisbane on the 7th, spent three days to get to Birdsville via Haddon’s Corner. Spent Thursday tripping out to Poepell's Corner and back, and then two days through Cordillo Downs to Innamincka.
We spent a couple of days around there to look at Coongee Lakes, Burke’s Grave, the Dig Tree etc, then down the Bore Track to Cameron’s Corner, and spent that night at Tibooburra.
Travelled through Bourke and Walgett to stay at a friend’s farm near Rowena, then back to Brisbane.
Birdsville to Poepell's Corner and back was a 12 hour trip (including digging ourselves off two dunes) with only half an hour at the corner, and took 83 litres of fuel.
For what our views are worth, the Corner Country is worth looking at. Harsh, dry, dusty, rough and daunting, but it certainly has its own beauty.
Wildlife was rare, except for birds. A few roo's, emus, two dingoes in the Simpson, and a couple of lizards was pretty much it. Plenty of roo road kill in places indicates no great shortage of life, but it must stay hidden during the days.
All up, no mechanical problems, one flat tyre just before Tibooburra, and plenty of dust in the vehicle and trailer.
The dearest unleaded fuel was around $1:69 from Birdsville through to Tibooburra, and diesel was around 30 to 35 cents dearer.
Hints for those who want to go there for the first time:
As milk is often sold frozen in the cardboard cartons, take a plastic bottle to decant it into, as this will help prevent leakage from being bounced around in the soft carton.
Not all the places have bread at all times.
If you go to Innamincka, the public amenity block has hot showers that take $2:00 coins.
Don’t expect to camp on grass, the dirt starts within two metres from water courses.
Have good footwear, the spiky stuff can go through 15mm thick soft shoes.
Expect lots of dust, both driving, and when camped.
The white roads have big corrugations rocks and dust, the red roads have rocks and dust, but less corrugations, brownish coloured roads are the better ones but still have rocks and dust, and the gibber roads have rocks, dust, more rocks and stones.
The lamb and mushroom pies at Innamincka Hotel are made in a dessert bowl so don’t be put out by the price, and tastes damn fine.
Some fish in Coopers Creek can be caught on bacon scraps.
Keep in mind that these are relatively remote areas, we went some days with no other traffic on the roads/tracks, and some days with only 2 to 3 other vehicles seen.
If anyone wants to start a rock collection, the Corner Country is a fine place to start.
Cheers
Ian and Judi
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:42

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 14:42
One of our favourite places; glad you enjoyed it!
AnswerID: 299630

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:10

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:10
Without a Toyota, eh ? Obviously you didn't get any serious rain along the way :))
AnswerID: 299651

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:44

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:44
Howdy Footloose, So how are you going, you would be a few days into your trip by now? Hope all is going as planned & don't forget to keep us updated now & then. Safe Travelling.
FollowupID: 565825

Follow Up By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:02

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:02
Hi Barry, you must have me confused with someone else I'm afraid. No trip this year :((( Busy painting at the moment.
FollowupID: 565827

Follow Up By: Jayco In The Bush - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:17

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 17:17
We got back from the same trip on Saturday too. In our trusty 80 series we went Toowoomba, DurhamDowns, Birdsville,Lyndhurst, Innaminka. Big Red different with a huge sand drift on top. We did the Frenchline 10 years ago. Birdsville Track excellent cond. The Strz Track was the worst forget your caravan if you love it. The Bore track from Camerons corner is a must. Pay your $10 at Bollards Lagoon end they give you a map.Then we went up the Old STR track to Innamincka. Much smoother choice. Coongie lakes is a must to see, take the 4x4 track over the dune and get your camera ready. The Mozzies nearly took us away camping but. Have a beer or pay your $7 and camp and have more beers at Mungeranie on the Birdsville Track. Owners at the Corner Store cook up the best T-Bone. They said if you need a steak knife you get it for free. Excellent trip if travelling solo. Watch those rocks flying up, we did a Turbo. Got it home thankfully.
FollowupID: 565830

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:53

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:53
Relax Footy,
Our trusty 100 series is going to do it all over again in june/july so rest easy buddy,they just were extremely lucky hahahaha.cheers Paul
FollowupID: 565845

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:39

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:39
G'day Ian
Whats the condition of the Coongie Lakes Road ?? We'll be up that way in August, and it was in terrible condition when last there in '02.
Also, did you camp at Deadhorse Gap at Tibooburra?? Conditions there??
Cheers

AnswerID: 299825

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 15:38

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 15:38
Hi
The Coongie Lakes road was about 60% rough and corrugated, but the rest wasn't too bad. The speed limit is 50kph which didn't suit the Monterey over the corrugations, but different vehicle wheelbases may improve the vibrations.
We got to Tibooburra a bit late for camping and stayed at the motel, ($80 for the room) so can't help you there.
Have a good trip.
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 566004

Sponsored Links