Troopy transfer noise

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 26, 2003 at 22:57
ThreadID: 5689 Views:1898 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have 97 troopy diesel which has a bearing type noise coming from the rear output shaft on the transfer case, the noise starts at about 40k's and fades
as speed increases, the speedo needle dances around a bit up to 40km then is
steady. The noise is always the same whether under load, backing off or coasting
in neutral. I have dropped the rear drive shaft off and listened to various spots on
the gearbox and transfer with a stethoscope and all noises are coming from around
transfer rear output shaft. Have checked oil levels and are ok. There is no other
problems with gear changes etc. One problem I had when attempting to remove
the rear drive shaft was when I had removed the bolts on the diff end and tried
to lever drive shaft forward to push the spline into the yoke was that it was solid,
any force to push the drive shaft forward resulted in pushing the transmission
forward, found problem to be the grease in the yoke stopping the spline, had to
remove the grease nipple from the yoke to allow excess grease to escape while
levering the drive shaft forward, maybe this has contributed to problem ????.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Jack - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:13

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:13
Phil, with the drive shaft grease hydrolic pressure is used to get it in, when moving the grease is warm and would flow past the splines allowing it to move so probably not the cause. Unfortunantly the transfer cases & gearboxes on the tojo's have problems just like all the other brands of trucks out there.
In a good humoured way WE now know why they show people jumping up & down in the toyota add's :-)
what sort of distance has your truck travelled? the 75 series have had problems with gear boxes & transfer cases with as little as 100k-150k on the clock. there are a few probs listed here on this site if you do a search. if at this stage only a output bearing problem should not be overtly expensive to repair, letting it go on the other hand could be expensive. while oil levels are ok have you changed it lately? if not try an oil change with the maximum viscosity rating recommended for the transfere case & see if it makes any differance, a bit of oil is cheap.

AnswerID: 23633

Follow Up By: desert - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:35

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:35
Whilst you are changing that transfer oil, smear a sample on to a mirror slide and press a clear slide over that again, this will give you a very good idea of any metal particles floating about in the oil, which is always a by-product of an impending bearing failure. All said and done, I'd be changing the bearing NOW, before any further damage is caused.
FollowupID: 15828

Reply By: Member - Willem- Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:04

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:04
Phil,
Why don't you disconnect the speedo cable to see if that is the problem. From your discription it would seem that when the speedo needle stops jumping around the noise starts and then fades. Maybe it is the cable taking up some slack that is making the noise. Just a thought. Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 23638

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:43

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:43
That was my first thought till the driveshaft was mentioned. I put money on the output bearing. Easy to have a looky see just pull the centre nut (30mm), flange and small cover with 6 or so bolts.
Better to do this in the driveway and put it back quick than in the bush...
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 15842

Reply By: Phil - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:50

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:50
Has only 118,000 on the clock, had last oil change at 90,000, is due for another
at 120,000, has the recommended SAE90 in it. It sounds pretty rough around
the output bearing so I think it's too far gone for oil change type fix. Oh what a feeling......
AnswerID: 23666

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:15

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:15
Hi Phil, sorry to here you are now in on the joke with your toyota, at 118,000klm with regular service these sorts of problems should not occur. When you re-build the transfer case, after about 10,000klm change the oil and add Molybond with the next batch of oil, having spent a lot of time working on Industrial gearboxes it is one of the few addatives that you can see actually work on the surface of gears & bearings. we have special industrial lubricant's that contain micro molecular compounds that we use on special high speed applications (centrifuge's) they do work but cost $$$$, on the lower speed gearboxes we use a product like molybond, increase in service life is about 20-30% (we keep costing's recorded so now know that it works in drive gearboxes).
I have a soft spot for the troopy's they are a good size & shape as a "van" for travelling. unfortunatly the reputation for reliability has more to do with toyotas advertising budget than the actual product. I own a toyota car(not 4WD), am very happy with it until I go shopping for parts....
FollowupID: 15880

Reply By: Bat - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 17:49

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 17:49
Hi, I have a 75 series which had a whine in the gear box i thought under load in 4and5 gear but went i pulled it down it was in the tranfer case.the case harden had worn off the roller bearings and made a paste and shot the the box. It is quite common so the toyota dealer said in 75 80 series to rebuild the box it is about a 1000$ with after markets parts, the 75series has done 135000k once the case harden goes the box is gone in no time the oil was change only 10000k a go.Bat
AnswerID: 23773

Follow Up By: Phil - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:09

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 07:09
I'm pulling it down today, so I'll soon see the extent of the damage. maybe $, or maybe $$$$$$$$.
FollowupID: 15968

Sponsored Links