crocs at Nitmiluk (Katherine George ) National park

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:09
ThreadID: 56900 Views:4028 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
never been up this way before is it safe to swim or kayak at this place with out being food for a croc any info would be much appreciated regards johnj
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:43

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:43
John

people regularly kayak and swim (less regularly) normally when they fall out of their kayak... the visitor centre hires kayaks/canoes

There are a lot of freshies around there, and I guess the chance of a salty, but generally I think its pretty safe, just stay away from the nests (they're signed)

zook
AnswerID: 299927

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:55

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:55
Gday,
Dont make any desicions until you get there.

Is it possible to get taken by a salty?.....Yes
Is it likely?.....No

Salties do get into Katherine George and they do live there.
Rangers trap them when they know of them and some years are worse than others.
Wait until you get there and ask a local or a ranger, dont ask the mob hiring canoes because they will tell you its alright.
Last time I was there i didnt canoe because I was told by a few mates ( locals ) how many had been trapped recently and the rangers still had their traps set......we took the tour bout with the kids.

Its not regarded as a dangerous spot and I have and probably will swim and canoe in there again. Just be sensible about it. ( but I wont let my kids in )

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 299931

Reply By: lifeisgood - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:03

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:03
Recommend the Dawn breakfast boat cruise.
Consider Edith falls further north for swimming after checking with the Ranger on site. Freshies there also but the ranger advised out by 7pm was wise.
AnswerID: 299934

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:24
Its considered pretty safe but they do regulary pull salties out of there
AnswerID: 299945

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:38

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:38
Hi johnj

I was there a week ago, and there were signs advising not to swim due to possible saltwater crocs. Once the rangers are sure that no salties made it into the Gorge during the Wet, you'll be able to swim there again. Just follow the advice on the signs.
If you want a dip, the Katherine Hot Spring is worth a look - no crocs there and the water is crystal clear.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299987

Reply By: AJs Prado - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 14:24

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 14:24
Or go up the road to Edith falls for a swim, just got to worry about the tortoise.
AnswerID: 300079

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:50
AJs

You are obviously not aware of the crocodile attack at Edith Falls a few years ago.

It was a freshie. Swimmer got too close to the nest and ended up in hospital with some very nasty injuries.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 566252

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:47

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:47
John

Every year they put traps in the Katherine River after the wet to trap salties. They normally get quite a few. A couple of years ago it was 10.

There is always a trap in the Gorge and the official statement is that there has never been a saltie in the Gorge.

After last years wet there was a big salty in the gorge. They set traps and stopped all swimming or canoes. They couldn't find it so they opened it up again.

Lots of people swim and canoe there and none have been taken yet. It is relatively safe. On the positive side if you were the first one taken you would be famous.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300100

Sponsored Links