Oztent V Centre Pole

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:29
ThreadID: 5691 Views:2221 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I've been reading the praises by some of the Oztent. I've just had a look at their website and they all seem to have verandahs and poles and ropes. Is 30 seconds really realistic to peg corners, erect tent, erect two poles and pegs and guy ropes? I think a centre pole tent would surely be quicker - peg corners, put up a centrepole and that's it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:48

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:48
Just got one. Used it on our trip north over the last few weeks. The Oztent is big and long when packed. It's hard to get all the bits back into the bag and certainly takes longer than 30 seconds...... perhaps 120seconds!

IT DOES GO UP IN 30 SECONDS if you are taking your time. We didn't use pegs... no need if there's no wind. We didn't use the annex ... so poles not needed. I intend to have the annex hook up the the STrupa.

So.... I can recommend this overpriced tent.... but you need a long space to stow it.

Mind you... you don't have a middle pole to brain yourself with

Ah... just thought of another problem we found. On a frosty night.... morning condensation inside the tent dripped at the back end onto us...

For space for price.... an ingloo tent beats all.....

Cheers Royce.... Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 23615

Follow Up By: Jack - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:27

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:27
Hi
I just noticed your coments on getting your Oztent back into the bag. I was having similar problems and got hold of a strap (which I think originated on a baby seat) with those plastic buckles that push together on the ends ... which I just wrap around the tent one it is folded up. That secures the middle, and I tip the tent on its end and slip the cover over from the top. Made it so much easier when I did not have the middle bit getting "fatter" as I pulled th cover down over it. After that, everything fitted in just find. May be worth a look.
Jack.
PS: You could probabaly use an Occy strap as well, but I did not want any sharp pointed bits inside the cover in case it punctured the tent itself.
PPS: Just get ready for the usuall "big condom" jokes as you are slipping it over the tent ... the first few times are funny .. but then ......
:( .......
FollowupID: 15820

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:52

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 00:52
remember with center pole tents, you can get kits to make them non centerpole. takes an extra 2 mins.
AnswerID: 23617

Follow Up By: macca - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:29

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 07:29
I agree with truckster. We have the side poles in our Southern Cross centre pole tent and we still get it up in no time.
FollowupID: 15799

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:48

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:48
Fred,

I looked at both and decided on a centre pole tent as I thought it would be better. The Oz tent is long and you always would need a rack fitted.
Bought a centre pole and have now used it a few times.
If it is just one person then the centre pole is fine. If more than one get the side poles and take an extra minute to erect.
At the end of the day i still need the roof rack as I can't fit it in the back withy the chuckwagon in place.

The reality is that any tent will take more than 30sec to get off the roof, unpack, peg etc. The only time you really need it up in a hurry is when hit is raining cats and dogs otherwise 30 sec or 2 min doesn't really matter. After a long drive who really wants to run around with frantically trying to beat the world record tent erection record?

In the end I thought the centre pole would be better in very strong winds.

On the trips I have used my tent I have always haq it up quicker than a mate with the 2 man dome tent.We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 23636

Reply By: Patrol22 - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 13:12

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 13:12
I've had my Discovery OZTENT for 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. Yes it is long and requires a rack of some sort but it is a magnificent setup. Plenty of room for me and mum and our kit. Mine came with a centre strap and getting it in and out of the bag is no big deal. When just setting up for the night I rarely peg it out or deploy the fly and set up time is about 15-20 seconds. For longer stays we not only peg out and deploy the fly but also set up the screen kitchen which takes about another 2-3 minutes.
What settled me on the OZTENT was the superb quality and the excellent after sales service, the friendliness of the staff, quick service (no matter where you are located) and the availability of spares.
On my first trip to Cape York I didn't have a fly - but after seeing some tents up in Weipa with flying fox crap all over them I bought the fly at the very first opportunity.
On a scale of 1-10 I'd give the OZTENT an 8.5.
AnswerID: 23652

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 22:33

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 22:33
Yeah I'm an Oztenter too.
1 min to get it out of the bag
30sec to put it up and no centre pole.
Extras:
3 min to roll out awning and peg out
5 min to throwfly over and peg out
I use fly with prospect of wet or dewy night, stops condensation and leaves tent dry to roll up in morning.
Total time 10 mins, but whats the hurry anyhow.
Mine came with the strap that wraps around the middle, never had a problem. Throwing it on the rack gives heaps room inside the wagon.
Don't forget to throw down the green sarlon all under the awning, its great to walk on and keeps the tent cleaner.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 23693

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 23:54

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 23:54
So 10 mins, so is not really quicker than other tents?

I agree with the whats the hurry, unless its rainin...
Your out there to relax, take ya time put the tent up over an hour, coffee/beer, steak.. whats the rush!
FollowupID: 15867

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:24

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:24
My sun-in-law (that's because he's really bright) has a good quality centre pole somebrand & although he wips his up in a minute, like all others he still has to peg it out, pull out door awnings etc. It's big, bulky & heavy and he now throws it up on top to save space in the wagon. When it rains he has no outside awning to sit under and has to close down the windows to stop rain gettn in. We borrowed it on a wet weekend and had to sit inside the tent or in the wagon.
Maybe I was missing some bit or the SIL is. But I like the fact that I can put a couple of chairs under the Oztent awning & not have to sit inside & can leave the windows open in the rain. +++
I reacon it's worth the extra $$
FollowupID: 15879

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 13:06

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 13:06
Totally agree Cocka - also the all up weight of my Discovery OZTENT is 16kg with poles and pegs. So it is not a lot to lift onto the roof rack. Although it is a bit more difficult following my OME undercarriage changeout and consequential 70mm lift.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 15883

Sponsored Links