Which bank is the best option?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:05
ThreadID: 56910 Views:2442 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We are travelling up through middle of SA & NT (inc Ayres Rock etc) to Darwin then top of WA and along the coast & back to Adelaide. I need to open another bank account & because I'm with BankSA I think a different option would be best so I don't get stuck with a heap of fees for using Non-BankSA ATM's.

What bank do people think is the most accessible in the areas we will be travelling (ATM's and branches) & therefore the best option for a travelling family. Commonwealth claim to have the most ATM's in Australia but from their website it doesn't seem they have more in NT than the other major banks.

Look forward to getting the replies.

Leanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:17
Hi Leanne

Open an account with a credit union or bank which uses Australia Post as their agency. Choose from a list of many, which may even include your present bank, and 'your' bank will be in any town where there is a Post Office. I operate a credit union account through Aust Post offices, and have never been charged a transaction fee for this service. I have also used the post office for transactions on Commonwealth bank accounts, before we and the bank parted company.

There are limitations:

Daily withdrawal limit will be as set by you bank - eg $800 or $1,000 per day.

You need a card to operate (OK, i know, you need a card to operate an ATM anyway).

If you are depositing a cheque, it must be in the name on the card. If the cheque is in joint names, you will not be able to bank it at Aust Post.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299964

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 21:05

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 21:05
Just a quick thing about daily limits on cards, what you may want to do is put a low daily card limit of say $300.00 per day and if you need more or you have to do a transaction over the daily limit you just phone the bank and they will alter it straight away for that transaction.

Just in case you loose your card or it gets stolen.

Regards Richard

FollowupID: 566316

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:30

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:30
Victoria Police Credit Union don't charge for withdrawals from any other banks machines. Can save some money for a serious traveller and anyone can join. Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299969

Follow Up By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:43

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:43
no but they have just bought in fees like all the other banks

steve
FollowupID: 566248

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:38

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 22:38
Commonwealth and National are accessible at most Post Offices throughout the country.

Bank SA is in Alice Springs and Darwin
AnswerID: 299973

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:26

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:26
I think its false economy opening a bank account to save on non bank atm fees.
Just get cash out on eftpos. easier done at main centres with woolies etc than small towns.
otherwise i reckon ANZ is right up there for having the most branches and ATM (except in Kunnunarra)
AnswerID: 299983

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:38

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 08:38
Davoe, You beat me to it mate.....

As a banker with over 37 years experience behind me (and still going......... and going.........and going.......hahaha), I agree that if you are happy with your present banking arrangements, stick with them and use EFTPOS for your cash-out requirements.

Even if you decided that you wanted to use the occasional "foreign" ATM from time to time, given that the fee is around $1.00 or $1.50, you're hardly gunna notice it when you take into account that it's the equivalent of less than a litre of diesel.

If you're not happy with your current bank anyway, why not shop around. As an example, the bank I work for has an arrangement whereby, if you have certain banking products, you can have a "package" that means you don't pay any fees for using ANY brand of ATM anywhere in the country.....
FollowupID: 566158

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:54

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 16:54
And if he calls into you on his way up and takes a credit card from you, will you give him $1,000free credit when he opens the account. LOL If you do, I might just beat him to it.
FollowupID: 566254

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:28

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:28
Hi Leanne

I have a Visa Debit account with Savings and Loans Credit Union, which I use everywhere - no fees, no interest (as it's not credit). On the few occasions I need cash, I pay the $2.00 fee if I can't find the right ATM.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 299984

Reply By: mfewster - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:51

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 23:51
This may or may not be helpful. We find having an online bank ac so we can move $ between various accounts to be useful. We can then keep a limited amount in the credit card ac to avoid fraud and top it up as required. You can do this safely two ways. CBA will give you and encryption device which you just plug into the computer so no-one else can get your info from any computer you use,(other banks may do this also?). You can also use a thumb drive and encrypt the data on it so that no one else using the machine can track what you have done, where you have been or the passwords you have used. The thumb drive cannot be read should you happen to lose it Very handy when travelling either in Oz or overseas. The same system will store all your email, address books and any other details you want to keep secure while travelling.
You may know about the latter, but if not and it sounds interesting, let me know and I'll give you more details on how to set it up.
AnswerID: 299990

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:28

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 09:28
mfewster,
Yes, I'll put my hand up for that information, as it sounds interesting.
I would like more details and assistance on how to set it up please.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 566164

Follow Up By: mfewster - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:23

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:23
OK Mainey
This may be a little lengthy. If any of it isn't clear. let me know via the forum and we may find it easier to do via email. I'll do it in two stages. Stage 1 is setting up a thumbdrive. Stage 2 is doing the encryption.
What we are doing is making sure that all your data stays with you on the thumbdrive and can't be tracked by keystroke recorders or other gadgets that might record your info off any computer that you happen to plug into, or be decoded if you lose the thumbdrive
Get a thumbdrive. I'd suggest 1 or 2 gb, but I have made this work on a 512 mb drive. Make sure it is USB 2.0 (there are some very cheap USB 1.0 drives around.
We are going to put a special web browser, email package and writing program onto the thumbdrive. These are very small programs designed for the thumbdrive, but work well. You will be able to store all the sites you normally go to and send and receive mail and have your address book with you at all times.
Go to http://portableapps.com/suite
Download either the full suite or the lite version. Follow the instructions on the site to set your thumbdrive up with a working web browser, and email. You also will need one of the word processor or notepad applications because that is where we will save and encrypt passwords and any other info you want to travel with. We will cut and paste passwords into web sites from this file so you never use the keyboard to type this info in.
Gotta go. Let me know when you have done this bit.
FollowupID: 566170

Sponsored Links