Low gear decents with lockers.

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 09:41
ThreadID: 5694 Views:1671 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Talking about low gears,

When your faced with a very steep muddy / clay track that has a real chance of slipping down without control is it a good idea to engage your air lockers with low gear to help with traction ?

The reason i ask is i once slid down a hill sideways and think it we due to the lockers engaged and all four wheels breaking traction, i usually only use the lockers to climb hills.

Any thoughts ?

Kev.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ed - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:27

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:27
ABS is the answer in these conditions
Rear lockers can be engaged
Front should be free
Pray if a long slope

AnswerID: 23645

Reply By: Steve from Armidale - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:49

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 12:49
Always use my lockers in a decent. This is for the situation where one wheel lifts, allowing the oposite wheel to speed up.

If you start to slide with lockers in, you will probable be sliding without them!

Keep your foot of the brake, and if she starts to slide, dab the throttle until the wheels have traction.
Works for me :)

Steve from Armidale
AnswerID: 23647

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 14:52

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 14:52
Agree with Steve from Armidale, if you loose traction a slight touch on the accelerator to get traction back and straighten up, no brakes, prayer mat is always good to have at hand, if you loose control try and aim at the side of the track that will do least damage if possible. When you are faced with this situation it's against everything you think is right to accelerate, but it works. I tried the principle out on sand dunes to get a bit of confidence in how everything happens, I found that in the sand things happen a bit slower so you have the chance, sliding down a slippery slop you will only find yourself going out of control quickly. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 23656

Reply By: desert - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:30

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 15:30
Lockers are always a good idea for decents as they prevent one side wheel lock-up which, due to normal diff action, attempts to turn the other wheel at twice the speed, thus sending you down the hill faster. Manual front lockers make steering almost immpossible, however, with the auto type Lokka, this is not a problem as they will allow steering when needed, but also provide positve traction to both front wheels on the decent, which is a real boon for the auto v manual locker argument. They therefore, inspire confidence in dealing with steep hills. The lower the gear used, the less need to apply foot brakes, which always opens the door to wheel lock up under brakes. With ultra-low gearing, you have the luxury of apply throttle to speed the wheels up to regain traction, if the need arises.
AnswerID: 23661

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 16:01

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 16:01
I take it you are referring to our slick red clay hills like on the CREB track Kev? Very much a catch 22 situation. I prefer a little differential action as the thought of 2 wheels on the same axle both sliding can get you in trouble big time. The most important thing is to control your momentum right from the get go. You can not go to slow in this situation and by threshold braking you can have the engine shuddering on the stall point specially with a diesel. NEVER USE THE CLUTCH. If you are going so slow you stall simply key start and repeat the procedure. Chains are a great investment in these conditions. Idealy you don't want to be there.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 23667

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 17:15

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 17:15
Yes i was refering to the CREB track as its ok when dry but can be a different ball game when wet.

I know the best idea is to stay off it if wet but it hasen't rained for a couple of days now so hopefully its ok this weekend.

Just wan't to go before they close it for good !

Kev.
FollowupID: 15836

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 22:14

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 22:14
Kev, Rob(above) has given you the very best options on you Q. The chains are the answer. Used on front wheels on downhills and on the rear if ascending. Can save a lot of heartache in other greasy situations also. Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 15858

Reply By: basecamp15 - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 18:00

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 18:00
Kev, whre did you hear they were going to close it for good? When will that happen? I need to go real quick then if this is true. Thanks.
AnswerID: 23672

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:50

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 19:50
Hi,
I know people who work for Main roads in Cairns that look after these areas and have been told this will happen but not sure when. I doubt it will be within the next few months.

We are going up there this weekend with some of them, there should be at least 8-10 trucks and a couple of quads. (a bit too many i think)

BTW- i left a post on your thread in the Travel section on the Overlander site earler.

Kev.
FollowupID: 15843

Reply By: basecamp15 - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 20:09

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 20:09
K thanks mate. If it's possible could you email me if you find out when it's due for closure. I'd like to do a few trips before it closes for good. Thanks, Mark
AnswerID: 23681

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:38

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 21:38
Yeah can do. ill probebly start a thread on it anyway !

We gotta find some new spots.
FollowupID: 15855

Sponsored Links