Purchasing a Nissan Patrol 3.0TD 2004 GU3 123000KM

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 00:52
ThreadID: 56972 Views:5148 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie and I'm after some information/suggestion regarding the results of an engine compression and dyno test which was performed on the vehicle today 25/4/08 which I am currently negotiating the purchase of.

The results with comments from the mechanic are:
cylinder 1 = 360psi
cylinder 2 = 365psi
cylinder 3 = 370psi
cylinder 4 = 365psi
Nissan specs for new engine 427psi with minimum 356psi and a max variance of 43psi between cylinders.

mechanic comments:
1/Horse power readings are at the top end of specs (approx 112h/p)
2/compression readings are at minimum acceptable values but engine exhibits no signs of engine issues.
3/load test on dyno - engine was sound with no unusual noises
4/ECU indicated one fault "airflow meter" but fault did not reoccur after resetting the ecu.
5/ engine torque was within normal ranges.

the results appear good overall with the exception of the low compressions. I'm after some advise on whether the low compressions are something i should be concerned about or not (considering the overall test results.) I'm at the point were i now have to decide whether to purchase the vehicle or not. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: psproule - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:07

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:07
WARNING WILL ROBBINSON!

(puts on flame retardant suit)

The Airflow Meter fault code should not be ignored. It is now well known that false readings from a dirty airflow meter is a contributor to the failure of these engines. The ECU sees less airflow and thus ups the boost - eventually up to 26 or so piston melting psi. Most owners report that "it was going really well before it went bang".

The fix thankfully is fairly easy if you get to them before they go bang. See the patrol4x4 forums as they have a very detailed thread on this.

Re the compressions - since they are even / consistent it could simply be a calibration difference in the gauge.

Pat
AnswerID: 300352

Follow Up By: Harro2106 - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:26

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:26
Thanks pat for reply
FollowupID: 566564

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:10
Harro

In my experience most modern diesels should be nicely run in and in their prime at 123000. This one is already down around 60 psi from new nominal pressure. It looks as if no one cylinder is any more faulty than its mates which is a good sign but the lot of them seem a bit low for the distance travelled. Horse power, or should that be kw's can be a little misleading in that more turbo boost can to some degree cover a slight loss in compression. Have a look at how well the engine starts from cold. A historic air flow meter fault may have caused some problem and even though not current just replacing the sensor would not cure a possible internal engine problem.

Hope this helps some

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 300478

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:28

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:28
Harro,
I'll post the following because you said that you're "a newbie".

Everyone on this forum have learned to hold back about the 3L TD Patrols - we are sick of talking about them. It is a vehicle that has had a very chequered career with holes in pistons, blown turbos, dual mass flywheel problems, airflow sensor problems, leaking front oil seals, etc etc. The knockers of this motor will quote all this adnauseum. The people who like this vehicle will say that they've owned one for a few years and never had a problem.

So my question is:
Why would you deliberately buy a vehicle for remote travel that has had such a question mark hanging over it?

The only answer I can think of is "price" and you can guess as to why they can be bought cheaply.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 300570

Reply By: Harro2106 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 02:20

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 02:20
thanks guys for your feed back.

Just to clarify - the intent of my post was purely to get a better understanding of the engine test results i obtained which where conflicting (ie low cylinder compressions but reasonably high power output) and what my be causing it. ( as i have very little knowledge about engines)

in this paticular case the vehicle i had tested was a 3L TD patrol but it could have been anything.

I have no interest in getting into debates about how good or bad the nissan 3L TD is or patrols vs cruisers. I happen to like both and all vehicles have pros and cons associated with them.

I have decided to stick with my original gut feeling and leave this vehicle with the dealer as the risks associated with the low compressions is greater than im prepared to accecpt. So my search for a 4wd will continue.

thanks again Harro
AnswerID: 300699

Sponsored Links