Timeshare / Vacation Ownership SCAMS!!!

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:56
ThreadID: 56997 Views:10086 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, this is like the first thing on here out of all my posts I have written about scams. Now this is not scepticism or theory, but I have had some experience now, which is a little unfortunate, but now I can warn others. I experienced it here in the US, but DON'T THINK IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN AUSTRALIA Some of these companies operate worldwide, such as Worldmark by Wyndham (formerly known as Trendwest), RCI etc
I have been to two presentations from different companies Worldmark and Consolidated Resorts (who are opening up Tahiti Village in Las Vegas)
There are many things in common with them and many other companies out there. They know that "Time Shares" has a bad connotation to it, and they announcing "we do not sell time shares, this is purely vacation ownership"

They start off by calling you, telling you that you have won a vacation. You think beauty! You go down and they say you have to go to a presentation but don't have to buy anything to get your prize. You think to yourself "ok, I won't sign anything!" You get there, and they do a presentation and tell quite a few lies. Like the cost of land and vacations has risen 1000% in the last few years... Motel 6 started off at $6 a night, now their $100 a night (and they are not really). They create a party atmosphere with loud music and convince you that "Vacation Ownership" is the way to go. It beats inflation with vacations, you can stay in nice resorts at the same price as you could in Motel 6, if you become an owner. I have noticed from research they suck in about 30-50% of people who go to presentations that didnt intend on purchasing.
Well the fact is, there is no real ownership on many of these things, it's more like overpriced membership. The forms you sign can revoke your right to cancel when you want to, and people can be sucked in from $10,000-$50,000 financed through them, and you CAN BE STUCK IN A CONTRACT!!
What they tell you is if you ever want out, you can sell it, because it's equity.Well, unlike home or other property equity, this depreciates worse than a car. It may only really be resellable for 20% of what you paid.

I am sure people reading this will think "Oh I wouldn't be sucked in, I am too smart for that." But their presentations really are appealing, but their contracts differ a lot from their sales pitch.
So, I write this to warn others, and try to make it well known. I got told today that this industry is the most corrupt in America today, and is worth hundreds of millions of dollars each year, and the companies involved in Timeshares/Vacation Ownership etc back each other up, to keep it going. They target students with no money, they target the elderly, and often there is no way out. No early payout like in a mobile phone contract.

So anything that looks, sounds, smells like timeshares, vacation ownership etc where they want a downpayment, contract and upfront fee for long-term accomodations, AVOID IT! Don't even go to the presentation for the free vacation offer!

Companies that offer this to avoid

Worldmark by Wyndham
RCI Timeshares
II Timeshares
Consolidated Resorts

I hope this helps others, and interested to hear if anyone on this forum can relate to any of this.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 04:33

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 04:33
*The forms you sign can revoke your right to cancel when you want to, and people can be sucked in from $10,000-$50,000 financed through them, and you CAN BE STUCK IN A CONTRACT!!*

As far as i know basically any contract in this country has a cooling off period of 7-14 days...

No such thing as a free lunch !

Cheers
AnswerID: 300529

Reply By: T-Ribby - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 06:20

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 06:20
Sounds like the Golden Products pyramid sceme and PosiPower of the 70's. Same slick presentation.

cheers
T.R.
AnswerID: 300531

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:30

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:30
Its Ok to go to their presentations if you know you can be strong in your reserve not to buy. We have been to two Trendwest ones, never bought anything, but got a free two day holiday at a resort and the second time a nice set of luggage free. So its good value to attend for an hour and get a nice Free gift - but only if you are fully aware of what they are selling and know you are not going to sign anything (prepare a solid excuse before you attend).
PS If you do want to buy time share, buy second hand from the Trading Post where you only pay about 40 to 50% of the original price.

Cheers,
Glen
AnswerID: 300536

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:35

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:35
Also before you buy.......... beware that there is also an annual fee of around $400 to add to the privilege of expensive vacation ownership.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 300537

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:49

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:49
Hi Paj TD,
A workmate of mine went to a Trendwest Presentation because there was a prize for attending, some expensive kitchen appliance or something similar. He copped all the pressure of the salesmen after sitting through a 45 minute spiel with video, nibblies and drinks. He had a great time for free got his prize and went home without a holiday package.
Mind you, he's as tight as a fish's coit and they had nooooo chance of getting any money out of him. That's the secret and if more people could be like that, these scams would just dry up. Should be part of the High School curriculum and part of the Society and General Course, Scam the Scammers 101....
AnswerID: 300539

Reply By: PajeroTD - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:17

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:17
It sounds like you guys had a lot of common sense and knew the drill. I thought I was a tough person to sell to. They sold through lies of omission AND lies of commission. I got my full refund (it was a lot tougher than it should have been - though I didn't need to file a law suit or anything), but it's surprising how many people do buy and regret it later. We still may use our free trip to LA and go to Disneyland or something and milk it for all it's worth. They will target your kids, parents and grandparents despite not being able to afford it, and not being presented with the correct information to make a smart decission.
AnswerID: 300577

Reply By: Garbutt - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:29

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:29
We had a nice holiday in Mildura for free once after attending their time share resort presentation, didn't cost us a thing. No way I would buy into anything like that as we want to go to different places each year.

GB
AnswerID: 300578

Sponsored Links