I sunk the cruiser ???

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:03
ThreadID: 56999 Views:3994 Replies:9 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all just thought I would ask anyone out there if they have some advice as to how best to tackle a clean up ?damage assessment when a sinking has occurred as I have just come back from a 6 day camping trip ( 0H and thanx all for the camp oven advice it was a hit and all the meals turned out great )..back to the sinking we went to a property at Araluen near Braidwood and on the last day went looking for new camp sites for our next visit well we saw a site but unless we cleared our way to it we could only get there buy driving up a FRESH water creek it was just fine until a tree was across most of the creek when I asked a mate if it was getting deep well no sooner than a second went buy and I dropped the front left wheel in a hole and could not get out the more I tried the more we were burying into the pebbled bottom well the water rose and started coming in the drivers door so my mate raced up to camp to get his prado he came back and tried to snatch the 100 ser but also got bogged so mate no 2 took off to get his new hilux whilst I cleared a passage along side the creek he then after a few shoots got us both out ( I owe this guy a few drinks THANKS MATE !! ) so we got out and the motor was still running and as I got to camp my elec aerial went up on its own I found out later the little motor was cooked I lost the 10 stack CD player under the seat and had water in most the lights I also have a central locking problem the water was above the front pass seat over the console and just below the drivers seat so I hope I explained myself ok and I just want to know if I have to do anything in order to keep the 4B in good nick or do I just let it dry out and wait OH and also I noticed the clutch peddle was on the floor and I had a bit of trouble getting it into gear the next morning is this a sign? do you think I might have water in the DIFFS or BOX-T/C Im not sure if insurance will cover all this or if it is worth doing so ? sorry for going on guys but if you have any advice or just want to bag me out LPL! please drop me a line.

Regards J.B.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:16

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:16
OUCH!!!! Lucky you weren't solo eh.
I seem to remember something about insurance write-offs that went, if it is saltwater all it has to do is reach the sills of the vehicle and in fresh water if it reaches the seats. This was some time back in the '80's I guess and things may have changed with newer rustproofing treatment technology but could be worth a look.

Others here will definitely know more about it than i do. Good Luck
AnswerID: 300543

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:21

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:21
Johnny boy

Been there, Done that.............Oh what fun!!!!!

You will have rip the carpet/mats out and let it dry. Let the Cruiser stand for week to let the electrics dry out. Take CD player out an put it in the stove oven for half an hour on 150 degrees. This may work. For all other electrical gear....if you can get to them.....use a hairdryer to blow dry the equipment. Once again you may be lucky. You will have to change the gearbox, transfercase and diff oils if necessary. Check them to see if water has ingressed. It sounds like you got some water in your bellhousing as you must have tried to change gear whilst in the water. Your clutch plate could be damaged and that will mean you may have to replace it and the thrust and the spigot bearings

If you can convince your insurance company that it was an accident you may be lucky with a claim.

Good Luck!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 300544

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:23

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:23
And it might be a good idea to repack all the wheelbearings!!!
FollowupID: 566677

Follow Up By: F4Phantom - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:23

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:23
For water in electronics dont put it in the oven at 150 degrees it will likley damage the equipment. (sorry i have to disagree there) but I also come with another solution. Get the piece of waterlogged equip in question, fill a bowl or bucket with metho and dip it in, get the metho all through the piece then wrap it in a towl and put over a gentle heater for 24 hrs. The metho displaces and absorbs the water then quickly evaporates away. I have done this many times including a colour sceeen mobile phone which was in a bucket of water, 24 hrs later worked for 2 more years.
FollowupID: 566691

Follow Up By: KSV - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:42

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:42
Agree. 150 seems too high to me as well. The best ever method for drying stuff is put it into vacuum if you can. Otherwise F4Phantom suggestion sounds OK to me.

Serg
FollowupID: 566804

Follow Up By: Wok - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:16

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:16
I expect it will be a waste of effort with the CD player...expect the optics[laser] assembly will not be recoverable.
With just electronics & clean 'flood water' the item has to be dismantled & sloshed about to mix the water & meth, then blow dry with compressed air [heating in an oven won't help...the meth will evaporate before the water & you are back to square 1.
With 'dirty flood water' the item is flushed in CRC first.
I have been through this exercise in the 74 Brisbane floods.
FollowupID: 566844

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:36

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:36
luckily for you no insurance companies in Australia have idiot clauses... you can be an idiot and they will still cover you.

Only issues would be clauses about not going off-road, but hopefully you know about those.

You need to speak with your broker (hopefully) or directly to your insurer if insured directly ASAP.
AnswerID: 300546

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:44

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:44
Hmmm Yeh ya gotta wonder if a creek is a gazetted road.
FollowupID: 566679

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:16

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:16
Like you'd actually be honest enough to tell them....

We were on river crossing XYZ on such & such track is about all they'd get from me.

The metho tip is the goods for the electronics. It's used as a circuit board and contact cleaner under various other names. You can buy it in a spray pack as Isopropol Alcohol too.

Don't use petrochemical cleaners. The sooner you can get stuff into the metho the better, leave it for as long as you like but overnight should do the trick and then sit it for a while to evaporate off. On a warm day in the shed it won't take long.

As for the truck, that's a longer process. Carpet & underfelt takes AGES to dry. If the seats are muddy, once you've pulled them out of the truck you can pressure wash them before you leave them to dry. The saturated seat cushions take AGES to dry too.

There is a big plus owning base model vehicles with vinyl floors instead of carpet.

A week or so for a big clean up like you have ahead of you isn't out of the question.

Dave

FollowupID: 566832

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:54

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:54
AnswerID: 300552

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:55

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:55
Sorry Andrew no pics ,Too busy running around screaming !!
FollowupID: 566741

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:07

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:07
ROFL, i feel for ya Johnny boy. :-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 566786

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:06

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:06
Bad luck mate. Good luck with the repairs.

Here are a few full stops for the next post!!! LOL

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
AnswerID: 300565

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:15

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 13:15
3 too many.

Andrew
FollowupID: 566701

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:29

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:29
Johnny,

Everyone else has been sympathetic but I reckon this little adventure is likely to cost you a fair bit, so you might as well get some benefit from it! Here are a few things to consider.

Rule No 1. Whenever you're faced with a difficult drive, steep up or down, water, whatever, always ask yourself "Do I have to do it?" Never risk the expensive vehicle unnecessarily.

Rule No 2. If you decide to proceed, assess the risks and balance them against the benefits. To do this properly you'll need more information than you can get by sitting in the vehicle. Walk your proposed route. In the present case, get wet. Walk the route and find the submerged logs and the deep holes. Change your route to avoid them, or reassess how essential it is that you do this.

Always assess what steps you should take to prepare the vehicle. For a steep rough climb or descent, or in soft sand drop your tyre pressures to give you a bigger footprint to provide better traction. For deep water crossings, you should also have prepared by extending the breathers on diffs and gearboxes so they vent well above the water level. (Gearboxes and diffs get hot, so they are vented to atmosphere so that pressure can't build up and force oil out past bearings. When these boxes are suddenly cooled by being dunked in water they suck air in, or if the vent is under water they suck water in.)

You must keep water from reaching the fan. If water rises onto the fan the blades can be deflected forward to tear the radiator to pieces - expensive. If in doubt, wrap a water blind around the front of the vehicle - a strong plastic or canvas sheet from bonnet around the front, and back underneath far enough so that forward movement will stop water rising onto the fan. (Another option is to remove the fan belt, but a blind (bra) is easier.) This is even more important for a petrol vehicle because the ignition system must be kept dry - it helps to spray all high voltage areas liberally with wd40. Obviously you must also keep water out of the engine's air intake - if water gets in here and the engine stops, DO NOT attempt to start it; if you a very lucky you may not need a new engine. Attempting to start an engine which has water in one or more cylinders will cost $$$$.

You are relying on maintaining a bow wave to keep a trough in the water level beneath the engine, so never never stop in deep water. It's good practice to have a snatch strap already connected up before you enter the water if you think there's any risk you might need it.

Which all brings me back to the 2 basic rules - don't run risks unless you have to, and if you must, make a very thorough and well informed assessment of the risks and benefits. Make sure the gain outweighs the pain.

Not trying to be hard, but, please, learn from this one. Suggest too that you might benefit from joining a 4WD club, one that gives good training. Ours is Canberra based - if that's your territory, see our member profile for details - you would gain a great deal from such a club. Also, it's good to learn from your mistakes, but much cheaper to learn from other peoples'!!

I'd agree with what others have said about fixing your vehicle - I'd drain and replace gearbox and diff oil, preferably check and repack wheel bearings. Remove all carpet, floor covering and seats to dry. Do anything you can to dry electricals. From what you've told us, I think you've got off very lightly.

Hope to see you back on the road soon.

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 300583

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:24

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:24
They are cars guys. They do not swim.
FollowupID: 566793

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:19

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:19
You forgot Rule No. 3 ..... Never mount electronics under the seats!
FollowupID: 566833

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:34

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:34
Hey Shaker I must agree that's a good idea even though I bought it that way I don't think I will reinstall it there and even more I don't think I will put the car in a situation that will allow water to reach it ever again LOL!

Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 566848

Reply By: guzzi - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:02

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:02
Are you having fun yet?

Remove the f&r seats ,consol, carpets, underlay, floor bungs, door trims.
Mop up all water, damp bits, wash down carpets and wipe dry door trims. Leave undercover with all doors, bonnet etc open until dry.
Lay out all the removed bits and let them dry flat, once dry brush/vacuum and treat with an odour killer if required. Armourall all the vinyl, brush and vac the seats (these can take over a week to dry) Lube the seat runners and wipe any unpainted metal under the seats with lanolin etc. Stick your head under the dash and wipe out the tide mark and any remaining dirt.

Change all the fluids, brake ,clutch, gbox, diffs,transfer case, engine oil.
Repack front and rear wheel bearings,and hubs, grease prop shafts and anything else you have with a grease nipple on it.
Inspect the rear face of the radiator for fan damage.
Go through your wiring, any plug that got soaked, separate , blow out with compressed air, and treat with CRC 2.26.
Look for any trapped water in the shell you should now have in your garage, remove it, wipe it dry , blow out with compressed air and treat with lanolin or Lanox or DEODOURISED fish oil, get into all the seams, lap joints, door skin folds, chassis rails, sills under the doors etc, if you wet it treat it.
Speaking of doors lube all the locks and hinges.
Lights, remove and drain, wash out with fresh water to remove mud etc wipe the indide surface of the lense with paper towel, dont wipe the reflector youll scratch it, leave face down with the bulb hole at the top to dry out.
Try the metho trick with the cd player it might work it might not.
Remove the electric antenna and see if you can drain it, give it a spray with crc 2.26 as well.
Thank whatever dietity you subscribe to it wasn't SALT water, this will keep you busy for the next 2 weeks, enjoy
AnswerID: 300606

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:52

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:52
Thanx Guzzi and John and everyone else above, I have done all that you just described and if it was salt water my truck would have been nowhere near it and John It was not deep at all it was just that silly hole to my left that I didn't see but I do agree with all you said and thanx it was good sound advice well at least I could give the truck a good and I mean GOOD! clean, seats are back in and I am just going to wait for the carpet to dry and I will reassemble . :)

Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 566737

Reply By: madfisher - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:51

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:51
I am a 4wdriver but also a keen fisherman, did you even remotely think of the damage you were doing to the enviroment. In the USA they are banning anglers from wading because it damages the fauna in the water. No Blxxdy wonder the greenies are locking us out everywhere you look.
I hope you have learn from this as you are young and inexperienced.
Pete
AnswerID: 300681

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:26

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:26
Hi Pete , how do you know my age ? and just how long have you graced us with your presence!

J.B.
FollowupID: 566846

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:04

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:04
"did you even remotely think of the damage you were doing to the enviroment"
"I hope you have learn from this as you are young and inexperienced."

Thats one hell of a statement to make about a situation and a person (I am assuming) you know absolutely jack $hit about!

And who gives a rats what the Yanks do?????

Sounds like you forgot to take your happy pills , Grumpy ar$e!
FollowupID: 566881

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:16

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:16
Oh.... and by the way, just for future reference....This is young and inexpierienced! My 12 year old daughter and her donut!Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 566885

Follow Up By: madfisher - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:07

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:07
Yes maybe I was grumpy, because I was fishing at lake Lyal watching vandals ripping up the foreshores in 4wds. I did recover some nice young brokes who made a mistake.
Hairy we are constantly losing access to tracks in the east because of vandals in 4wds.
Pete
FollowupID: 566887

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:31

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:31
Hey guys lets not get into a rumble about all this after all we are all enjoying the same hobbies so lets all just have a cold one and a laugh and Pete I hope you don't think I'm like one of those vandal's as I only drove up stream for about 10 Metres and that to me was a better choice at the time to investigate a new camp site as opposed to cutting/driving over trees and fawner as such , I thought YOU would agree ?

Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 566911

Reply By: BarraKing - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:59

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:59
Hey Johnny Boy,

Just had the same thing happen to me in my 105 series GXL diesel, differance being i could not get mine out for 11hrs, water in the front passenger side half way up the seats, stripped as much out of the car as i could once removed from river and let thoroughly dry over two days in 36"c heat..appears to have all dried out ok, central locking didn't work for a couple of days but is working ok now, i also have an airbag warning light staying on, went and saw toyota this morning and they have recommended that i sell it ASAP, i am dropping it of to them tomorrow to get the 100 thousand service so they are going to go right through it and check it over, Toyota said that if any of the computers got wet (they are located in the left and right hand front kick panels) that you will have problems later down the line.
I have removed kick panels and inspected, they appear ok with no signs of moisture....
I guess time will tell, if i begin having problems with it down the line i will get rid of her straight away.

Good luck with her and let me know how ya go,

Regards,

Josh
AnswerID: 301145

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:35

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:35
Hi Josh , thanx for the heads up my toyo is a 98 mod and I was told that it didnt come out with any computers whats your mod?

Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 567241

Follow Up By: BarraKing - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:37

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:37
Hey JB,

mine is a late 2004 mate

Josh
FollowupID: 567261

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 19:32

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 19:32
Ah Well mayby you do have a computer Im sure someone here will tell us , mate good luck with it all and just do what Im doing ..
..CROSSING MY FINGERS !!! LOL! mate make sure to check your oils
Regards J.B.
FollowupID: 567271

Sponsored Links