Camper trailers on the rig road

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 23:23
ThreadID: 57025 Views:3125 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am considering a trek along the rig road the up to poepells corner and across to Birdsville.

My question is will there be any problem with towing a top of the line off road camper trailer?

I have an ultimate camper and some of my group have Kimberley's and the like.

Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jason - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:42

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:42
Hi Steve,

With those sort of campers, if the 4by can do it so can the trailer. I've had no problems towing my Customline. Just remember to adjust your tyres pressure to suite the track conditions.
Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 300711

Follow Up By: Mudduck - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:58

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:58
Thanks Jason, I thought there would be no dramas but I keep hearing that trailers are not recommended, so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers Steve.
Cheers Steve VK2UD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 566842

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:46

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:46
My thought is that you've simplified things for Jason a little Steve.

At times the rig road, particularly in the East, can develop high soft tops with almost vertical faces one direction or other, with holes and other vehicle trapping contours on the other side.

In October the last dune on the Eastern side had everyone heading a km or two down the dune to find a less challenging way over - it was 8m vertical or more.

Adjusting tyre pressures is key, as you say, but many folks aren't prepared, for whatever reason, to go low enough - remember the Ultimates, and KKs and Tvans are heavy trailers and when you're down to your sidesteps it is a lot of work getting them and the truck out...

Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 566850

Reply By: Mudduck - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:53

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:53
Thank Andrew,

all info is welcome, really want to do that trip with a camper as a double crossing does not fit into the trip plans.

Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300718

Reply By: mfewster - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:56

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:56
Jason, I can't agree. As Andrew said, that can be a lot of weight having to be hauled up very soft sand. Is there a second vehicle going that wont have a trailer? If you do it, I'd suggest having the single vehicle go first so it can add some towing power when needed (and it will be needed.), It will save you a lot of digging out. Wrenching a trailer through really rips up the track and is not popular with those who come later.
AnswerID: 300737

Reply By: North Coast Bob - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:17
Hi Steve,
We did the Rig Road last September with off-road Camper Trailers - 7 vehicles /five CT's. We went west to east and then down the Warburton Crossing to the Birdsville Track.
An excellent trip but hard work especially on the eastern end. The last 20 dunes were difficult and the last one was the worst.
Tyre pressure is the key (less than 18 needed) and don't forget the CT tyres. Maintaining sufficient speed is also important because if you slow down the CT acts as an anchor.

We had almost every known piece of recovery gear but all we used were shovels and Maxtraks (we had 6 but most times we just used 4 on the cars - simply got up onto the track and drove out).

Having a vehicle without a CT is a great idea - we had one at the front and the rear.

Have a great trip - wish we were going again.

Cheers,

Bob
AnswerID: 300804

Reply By: Mudduck - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:38

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:38
Thanks Bob,

This trip is a fair way off and I'm just in research mode at the moment but all info is useful and appreciated.

Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300810

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:40

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:40
Steve a few things to consider. Some trailers (Kimberly's in particular) have very long draw bars which make it difficult as you crest the dunes. The time of year will be a deciding factor to the difficulty as strong dry winds can leave swales difficult to get over. Driver experience in the group is important. Has anyone actually towed a trailer in soft sand before? Can they back 50m in a straight line if they don't make it? Vehicle ability too is crucial ideally needing about 130kw+ for a heavy trailer. Have seen a Landcruiser with a 1HZ engine turn back as it was simply too hard.
Don't be turned off by suggestions trailers shouldn't be taken, just make the right preparations as many have successfully in the past & go at the right time of year.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 300822

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 00:02

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 00:02
We did the Rig road several years ago with 2 Kimberley Kampers
We had no real problems
One clue is to ensure the trailer brakes are OFF
We found that the constant movement of the towing vehicle up and over the dunes was causing the trailer to brake and drag
Once we turned the brakes off, the difference was surprising
AnswerID: 300869

Reply By: Mudduck - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:29

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 05:29
Thanks guys, all useful to know.

Cheers Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300878

Sponsored Links