Another way to come unstuck

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 21:15
ThreadID: 57051 Views:2266 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Next door neighbour is very experienced 4WDer and bushman. In the recent rains the many creek crossings we share rose from 20cm to over a metre and very fast flowing. m ost of the fords are concreted.

He attempted to cross at possibly 80cm and had done well but his HiLux ute encountered a submerged 75mm dia branch on one of the crossings.

Apparently this was enough to lift the front, lose traction drop over the ford and run downstream filling with water. Dog got thrown into the ute tray, out clambered the owner as vehicle settled in 140cm against a log 30metres downstream.

Pulled it out with tractor and now the clean up.

Fast water can look good - nice and smooth over concrete - but beware. Other aspect worthy of note is potential for strands of barbed wire to also be trailing in fords after heavy rain.

Cheers
Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:43

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:43
I wouldn't call Anyone an experienced 4WDer and bushman if they're stupid enough to drive through 800mm of fast flowing water.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 300863

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:39

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:39
I take your point Doug. You have to be there - and each us is fallible - no matter how wise we might consider ourselves.

Cheers Chris
FollowupID: 566967

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:03

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:03
Hi Chris

It's so easy isn't it , and one reason I often take more time than need be to write trip reports is because it causes me to think thru the various situations again and use this as experience next time.

This weekend we lead 7 or 8 vehicles thru forrest tracks thru fire affected areas and despite the most up to date maps and GPS stuff we soon found ourseleves following our nose in a maze of undocumented paths, and forrest so thick and damp that the GPS became erratic.
Was near snowing and not far from sunset when we came across a big downed tree across track, and while we could have cut it out we choose to turn around, and take the guaranteed but longer path home.

Very undramatic but trip ended with happy travellers .
Sometimes they have ended differently.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300885

Follow Up By: Member - Chris R (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:19

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:19
Hi Robin

See thread 57105 for another tragic end.

We too guided friends home through an area of Gloucester Tops - forest tracks. Two rock slides with sufficient room to get by and one tree which we dragged clear.

Heard also of a couple of trail bikers up here who suffered mild hypothermia from poor preparation. They rejected dad's advice for extra clothing, safety gear walkie talkie and GPS "too much stuff dad". Came home a little wiser.

Cheers
Chris
FollowupID: 567222

Sponsored Links