Innamincka/Cooper Creek

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 22:56
ThreadID: 5706 Views:2649 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We (4 vehicles) are considering heading to Innamincak and Cooper Creek for around 2 weeks.

Any one got any feed back please. Not much on the net that I can find at this stage.

Fuel
camping Sites
To see

Travelling around October 03.

Thanks.

Russ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brooksy - Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 23:30

Friday, Jun 27, 2003 at 23:30
I found the best place to camp was on the town common. Plenty of space and grass on the banks of Cooper Creek. Toilets there. Good swimming holes. Public showers are available in town.
Fuel is available at Innamincka. Must sees are the Dig Tree and Coongie Lakes. Both are one day trips.
AnswerID: 23698

Follow Up By: Madman - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:57

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:57
Just my opinion. I found that ski beach was the best place at Innamincka, right next to the water and at the time we had it all to ourselves. Only thing is you will need a desert park's pass available on explore oz. Coongie Lakes is very good and the pass will cover you there as well. I have been to the dig tree but must say if I ever want to see it again I will look at my photos.
FollowupID: 15872

Follow Up By: Russ - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:29

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:29
Thanks for the feedback Guys, much appreciated.

Russ
FollowupID: 16027

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:45

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:45
Plenty of supplies available at the trading post - all fuels and camping gear - they even bake bread. Re camping, you have to decide on (a) Town common, with shop, pub, showers and toilets close by, and no camping fees, or (b) nicer sites out of town, with Desert Parks Pass required. I'm with Madman - Ski beach is good - other sites in that area are good too. The Cullyamurra waterhole is East of town and 7km long - camping all way along, with a couple of long drops. Note that if you camp at the far eastern end of this waterhole, you can walk for about 45 mins upstream to the choke and explore some native carvings in the rocks - kids would enjoy this. Ask the rangers for the exact location. Keep a weather eye out there - if it rains, you might be there for xxx days...turns to a quagmire anywhere near the Creek. If you can't move for days on end, you will wish you were at the Common.... you can at least ring out and also get supplies at the shop. Have a good 'un.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 23703

Follow Up By: Russ - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:30

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:30
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Russ
FollowupID: 16028

Reply By: Member - Bob W - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:51

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:51
Hi
If you travel out to Coongie lakes (which you should) you may want to camp on the Cooper creek at Kudriemitchie out station about 20 klms before the lakes -- you light a fire etc which you can not at lakes, there is also a new toilet errected by a four wheel drive club and shelter in the form of drovers quarters if its wet. You can get right down on the creek and on lush green grass although it looks like this is being frowned upon by the placement of pine poles to stop you, they do not go for any distance and there wre no signs to warn you off. Worth a look even if you do not stay over. If you want a a bit of luxury try Innamincka Home Stay a couple of hundred metres from Pub, I can recommend it, you can also camp there and use the facilities for the same cost as camping in the bush sites.
Regards
Bobw
AnswerID: 23709

Follow Up By: Russ - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:30

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:30
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Russ
FollowupID: 16029

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 17:42

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 17:42
Russ

All the others are correct, Coongie Lakes is a must for a couple of nights. Also If your after a good shower and clean up after a period of e4xtended camping there is the "Bunkhouse" at the Innaminka Pub. Its a seperate building with about five bedrooms. There is a self contained common room with coffee tea and cooking facilities, showers and toilets. From memory it was about $25.00 in July 2002 a head. If your with a group you can book and have the place to yourselves.
AnswerID: 23771

Reply By: greendog - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 20:31
hi russ when are you goin to Innamicka well be in the region around the 1st of augest 3 vechicles i being a proud owner of the pag {gls} towing a camper trailer . have/nt been there before so i cant nt wait cheers peter
AnswerID: 23787

Follow Up By: Russ - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:28

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 00:28
Thanks for the feed back, we will probably be there mid October. If you are going there in August would appreciate any updated feedback.

Russ
rvburr@picknowl.com.au
FollowupID: 16026

Sponsored Links