Extended Warranty

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:12
ThreadID: 57078 Views:3993 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does any one have recent / current experience with extended warranties on 4WD's?
My mark 2 Disco warranty expires in July and I am interested in purchasing an extra few years warranty.
Any Forumite's with experience with
Companies
Costs
Claim experience
Etc:
that can help me in making a decision would be appreciated?

Regards

John A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:20

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:20
My only experience was with a Nissan, but that was a Nissan Extended Warranty.

I had only a good experience with that.

They even replaced the shock absorbers at 130,000ks for free.
AnswerID: 300987

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:32

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:32
ditto - I'm on "extra time" policy as mainly use truck just for trips and recently did in alternator. Part cost alone was $1000 which paid for policy. Some say its important to be with manufacturer. JD
FollowupID: 567075

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:34

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:34
I extended the original warranty on my Defender by a further year after being "invited" to by LRA and was glad I did.
There being virtually no LR service facilities outside of Perth when a hiccup occurred they readily transported it back to Perth plus the camper and paid a fair bit towards our out of pocket expences.
Money well spent as far as I'm concerned but I don't much about after market warranties although many years ago I had a Fortron warranty and they paid up for a new alternator for a Falcon without any quibbling.
Alan.
AnswerID: 300989

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:35

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:35
Hi John

We had an extended warranty with FORD, it was 3 years or One
Hundred Thousand ks, it was for the Cooks, Ford Exploder, she
bought the warranty after the Factory one expired, only trouble is
she only does about 5000ks a year, and they require you to have it serviced, by a Ford dealership every 10000ks or 6months, we did
have a warranty claim, for the Auto Transmission, would have cost
$4000-00 plus, but they honoured the warranty. just read the FINE
PRINT.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 300990

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 18:08

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 18:08
Had a Winns gold warranty with a car a while back it said all was covered including the head, that blew and guess what it wasn't covered,
never again,
regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 300996

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 18:37

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 18:37
Hi John,Just read the fine print, but the extended warranty offered by Nissan is a proper factory one, even if it is underwritten by an insurance co. It covered basically everything that the normal warranty covered. I'd think that LRA would offer something pretty much the same, but as stated, read the fine print first.
In my opinion, it's worth it. I had my 5th gear fixed on the GU Patrol, plus two leaking turbos replaced, all under the extended warranty, no quibbles, so I'm way out in front.
Gerry
AnswerID: 301002

Reply By: KSV. - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:05

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:05
Cannot comment specifically about 4WD, but quite a while ago I was stupid enough to get extended warranty (3-rd party) on sedan. IMHO p1ssing money on the wind. Main reason they require to service car in some “recognized” place while I believe that I am doing better job than average K-Mart auto mechanic. But even if you service your car elsewhere it still does not worth it – so many clauses about wear and tear it is no joke. Two years ago my another sedan (Magna) came out from factory warranty and I been offered “genuine” Mitsubishi extended warranty. Those even worse – you expected to service it at their dealer only. I rejected and during past two years only one thing that can be claimed was fuel tank sender unit. Thanks, I rather buy one.

But you have Disco – that may be completely different (sorry – could not resists :-))))))

Cheers
Serg
AnswerID: 301015

Reply By: Member - Brett C (WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:20

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:20
I took a Nissan Extended Warranty with the Patrol....have not used it yet...touch wood....except for the roadside assist which was outside of the 3 years warranty period due to a silly mistake of running the car out of fuel....100km tow saved me some money though.

I also took one about the same time with my Holden Berlina issued by Australian Dealer Insurance. A waste of $1500. Tried to make a claim on the steering wheel controls....they put it down to wear and tear and would not pay for the repair.

Crikeys.....everything is going to be wear and tear surely.

So to date.....not a great experience.

Brett........
AnswerID: 301078

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:54
Hi Brett,
You've got to check the fine print for that clause: "this warranty is null and void if you attempt to make any claim whatsoever"!

Most of those aftermarket (non-mfr) extended warranties I would be very wary of.
Gerry
FollowupID: 567148

Reply By: Member - John A (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:20

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:20
Thanks to every one who has replied; Nissan seem to have done it well so hope LR have one that stands up as well as that did.

Regards

John A
AnswerID: 301160

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:02

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:02
Beofre you decide you really should visit the ACCC website and get a handle on your rights under the Trade Practices Act.

Subject to some caps and all comsumes are protected by the statutory warranties and conditions that are enshrined in that legislation.

Very often (if not always) the statutory protections under the Act are worth far more than any warranty offered by the manufacturer/importer/retailer/dealer.

www.accc.gov.au/

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 301411

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:03

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:03
Beofre you decide you really should visit the ACCC website and get a handle on your rights under the Trade Practices Act.

All comsumes are protected by the statutory warranties and conditions that are enshrined in that legislation subject to some caps and requirements

Very often (if not always) the statutory protections under the Act are worth far more than any warranty offered by the manufacturer/importer/retailer/dealer.

www.accc.gov.au/

Happy days

George
AnswerID: 301413

Sponsored Links