Nanutarra Roadhouse

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:32
ThreadID: 57087 Views:6724 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I know this is raking over old coals, but judging from previous discussions on the subject, I feel it is worthwhile reminding newer members, and those with short memories.
I told my handbrake of what I had read on this site, and that we would be passing through this fuel stop. However, as she wears the pants and also as we have an unreliable fuel gauge, I topped up. It was $2.00/litre (as someone else posted a few weeks ago) and the previous dearest was $1.79 at Minilya and now at Derby $1.85- and that's with a new price-hike in between. It's a wonder some-one has not taken them to the Trade Practices Tribunal.
The lady at the pump was very nice, but then she does come from just near us in Perth. However the woman in the cafe could barely raise a grunt, let alone a smile.
There, I feel better now. No wonder she calls me G.O.M.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:25

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:25
You wouldn't raise a smile either if every customer rightly whinged about the price of your fuel :))
AnswerID: 301054

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:10

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:10
Gidday Hurkmagurk

Having come from a few years in the petroleum Industry, you need to understand that it provides a product to a very wide market.

In a lot of remote areas they have a relatively short tourist season and need to make the most out of it to survive for the balance of the year. Once the season is finished, they may only have a few hundred locals as customers.

The mines and larger stations will be signed up by the oil companies and increasingly, supplied from the 'Gate' by contractors rather than distributors.

Therefore there isn't much left for the small fella, apart from local or passing trade.

I'm a pretty easy going sort of fella, but have to admit it gets my goat when people start complaining about the cost of things in the bush.

Not having a go at you mate, but it needs to said.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 301072

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:45

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:45
Hi Kim,
understand what you're saying, but this roadhouse in on the main highway connecting the mining area and north-west with the south of the state (if you ignore the inland route thru Meekatharra). It's full-on all year round, 24 hours a day, with a major truck stop there. There is no on and off-season!
I guess these guys have got to make a dollar in these remote spots (you wouldn't get me running a business out there), but it's still a bit rich. Minilya down the road (just as isolated) can do it much cheaper and still make a quid.
There, I've said my bit...
cheers, Gerry
FollowupID: 567144

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:57

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:57
I have to agree with Gerry - there are quite a number of roadhouses up the coast but Nanutarra stands out amongst all of these. The two between Port Hedland and Broome are further from fuel supplies and in an area that is more affected by tourism, but they are much cheaper.

The birds at Nanutarra are quite proud that their fuel is possibly the dearest in WA. Their food prices are just as outrageous.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 567204

Reply By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 23:26

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 23:26
Gidday Gerry

That's a fair statement. I don't know much about the area South of Meekatharra, but if it's a truck stop I think you'll find your paying for the margin lost to large transport companies.

Things change over time, and I could be dead wrong.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 301089

Reply By: Alan H - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:29

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:29
They were said to charge 10 bucks for a standard size meat pie a couple of years ago and that outraged a few people I spoke with in Broome.
Hopefully loads of people will read or hear about their rip offs and avoid the place as I certainly will.
Alan.
AnswerID: 301125

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:27

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:27
$16.99 for a hamburger last week..........
$4.90 for an Iced Coffee
FollowupID: 567207

Reply By: Member - BUNDY BOY (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:43

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:43
Nanutarra..... or the road kill roadhouse as its often called ...from someone that travels theses roads constantly .its always the dearest on the coast road for anything......
$7:50 for a pie n sauce.....and almost the dearest in the state....and the service and attitude of the people whom work there is pathetic.
i think the only patronage they would get is from terrorists..sorry tourists...as anyone whom knows avoids it like the plague ...i still don't understand how they can put up no camping signs ground that rip-off roadhouse ..if by some chance you do stop overnight out the front/or in the area sth of the bridge...and go in there in the morning .....they try n charge you $25:00 for a camping fee: unreal.and here was me thinking it was still a fee country ...lol...........well there we go all.just a word of warning to everyone .....Minilya is only 100 or so further on very clean good food. maybe a little dear but i don't mind that if its good.and friendly smiles ......no affiliation with them ...except a feed and a good old chin wag.from time to time...

Bundy
AnswerID: 301128

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:22

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:22
yep, used to work up that way, been hearing the same thing for 20 years....and don't let your dogs out at Minilya if you have any!
FollowupID: 567206

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:52

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:52
Bushfix,
the dogs don't find their way into the burgers, do they? :-)
G
FollowupID: 567216

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:21

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:21
G'day Gerry,

no mate, i used to travel around that countryside with my (much missed) border collie/keplie. learnt quickly that stray dogs will be shot on sight. Sheep country.
FollowupID: 567223

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:33

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:33
Yep - I passed through there 2 weeks back and they hadnt changed since last time I posted about them about 3 years back (or maybe 4). Back then according to the fuel price section on Exploroz they had the most expensive Diesel in Aust except for the remote communities. This is a total rip-off as they are on the main highway with places either side of them selling fuel for A LOT less!!!!!!

Smiley in the cafe is full of personality - had a giggle to herself when I asked if she was mistaken about the $4.90 price of an Iced Coffee - there was no mistake....

Now I only drop in there to use their toilet and throw rubbish in their bin - they have ripped me off so many times previously that I am happy to do this.....
AnswerID: 301134

Reply By: gmac - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:11

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:11
Been through Balladonia Caiguna Madura lately>
AnswerID: 301168

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:15

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:15
Its nice to meet nice traders in the bush, but to be fair we can only expect civility IMO. I try and remind myself on evey trip that it would be a bugger to be stuck out there for 6 months a year - virtually everything you could want is 3000km away ! To work there in the summer would be hell - and as for prices - most of the people we see in such places probably have no influence on pricing ......just indians in many cases ... that said, seeing those proprietors treat the situation like an economic jungle, we need to improve our fuel capacity and drive straight on by - survival of the fittest !!
AnswerID: 301169

Reply By: Sandy Creek - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 07:38

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 07:38
No 'ifs and buts', they go out of their way to rip people off and are unpleasant whilst doing it. The place has been black banned by most truckies and some of the local stations. They have a track record of exploiting motorists trapped by floods and other misfortunes. Avoid them like the plague.
AnswerID: 301253

Sponsored Links