Handheld PocketPC & GSP solution

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 14:40
ThreadID: 5710 Views:1933 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
To all the tech heads out there,

Am looking at getting something like an iPaq or Toshiba Pocket PC and wanting to integrate GPS with it.

Looks like most modern handhelds use an expansion card format of SD (secure digital) instead of the older CF (compact flash) due to SD being smaller. Problem is, I believe there is an SD type GPS receiver being developed but is still some time away, but there are a number of CF type GPS receivers about. Some of the more expensive Toshiba models have both SD and CF (but pricey) and no serial connection. iPaq have no CF but a serial connection.

Or am I better off running an external GPS unit and attaching it to the Pocket PC with a data cable.

Any thoughts appreciated. What sort of handheld setups are people using and what are the pro's and con's of each.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SimonIT - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 14:41

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 14:41
By the way, that heading should read 'GPS solution'...doh!
AnswerID: 23721

Reply By: Karen Willroman - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 15:21

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 15:21
ask here and talk to people that use this gear all the time
is where I always find the knowledge
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ozi-UsersCE
AnswerID: 23724

Reply By: Stevo - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 16:01

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 16:01
Gooday SimonIT, both my brother and I use handheld Lowrance i Finders. These GPS units have a MMC/SD memory card slot capable of accepting 128 Mb cards.
Ideal for mapping - 10 savable plot trails of up to 9,999 per trail (that's only the on-board memory !!), the data you can store is only limited by the number of SD cards you have.!! Great unit used in conjunction with mapping software such as "Oziexplorer".
AnswerID: 23727

Reply By: Rob - Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 20:43

Saturday, Jun 28, 2003 at 20:43
Some PocketPCs use SD, some use CF. CF is better value for money. Technically, there's nothing in it.

There are some GPS receivers which take SD cards. None to my knowledge take CF.

iPaqs can take CF via an inexpensive sleeve.

My recommendation FWIW is to run an external GPSR and hook it up to the _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx.

See http://www.gpsvehiclenavigation.com/ for some example setups.

hth

--
Robert
AnswerID: 23742

Reply By: sharky - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:57

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:57
I HAVE A REAL TIME NAVIGATION SYSTEM IN MY 1998 JACKAROO THAT COST ME APPROX $800 TO SET UP. IT CONSISTS OF A SECOND HAND TOSHIBA LAPTOP(WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A $3000 LAPTOP TO THE BUSH TO GET IT FULL OF DUST?) THAT COST ME ONLY $300. I'M RUNNING OZIEXPLORER SOFTWARE AVAILABLE FROM THE NET FOR APPROX $70 IF YOU HONEST. THE GPS I'M USING IS GARMIN GPS 12 AVAILABLE FROM APPROX $350. THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE ONE OF THE MOST RELIABLE NO FRILLS GPS RECEIVERS OUT THERE. I POSITION IT ON TOP OF THE DASHBOARD TO GET GOOD RECEPTION. THE CABLE TO INTERFACE IT TO THE LAPTOP AND TO GET POWER TO IT IS APPROX $99. I HAVE AUSTRALIA ON 1:250000 ON 2 DISCS AND IT GIVE ME REAL TIME MAPPING ABILITY ON THE ROAD. ON SOME OF THE SHORTER TRIPS I SIMPLY SET EVERYTHING ON THE DESKTOP AT HOME IE WAYPOINTS ROUTES ETC. AND DOWNLOAD IT TO THE GPS...YOU DON'T NEED A BRAND NEW LAPTOP TO RUN THE MAPS IN THE CAR. OZIEXPLORER WILL RUN COMFORTABLY ON ANY PENTIUM COMPUTER.
AnswerID: 23765

Follow Up By: Allfour4x4 - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:58

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:58
Sharky,
Thinking of doing similar
What sort of specs does the laptop have and how often can you get them for that price. Was told I needed 400MHz/64Mb/40-60gig hhd does this sound right? been looking at E-Bay but no banana's at that sort of cost
Any ideas at all greatly appreciated
Glenn
FollowupID: 16018

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:40

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:40
I agree with Sharky. Why would you use a pocket PC in a car. Firstly, you pay a huge premium for miniaturiastion you don't need. Secondly, the tiny screens are a compromise you don't need. Consider a 15" TFT display with a laptop or old PC. A $200 inverter will easily run the lot. I do it this way. You get a better result for less expense.
AnswerID: 23849

Reply By: BurnieM - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:55

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:55
Because a PocketPC uses up significantly less space in any vehicle.
Also, because you can mount it up close to the instruments where it is easier (and safer) to glance at.

No competition in my option.
AnswerID: 23955

Sponsored Links