man dies from mosquito bite in the Kimberley

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 14:17
ThreadID: 57114 Views:4723 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
be aware out there, esp with the young 'uns.

smh article
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:54
Had two months of Ross River Virus earlier this year. Not as bad as that MRV.... definitely don't like those little bugggers now!
AnswerID: 301156

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:09

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:09
Good old Ross River, you carry that around like luggage, You watch same time ever year for the next 10 + years.

I have empathy for you.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 567253

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:55

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:55
Thanks.
I was working through the positives and negatives for a may/june verses august/september trip to kimberley region.
As it is our 8yr old reacts badly to mozzie bites.
I think we will plan the trip around when the mozzies are lesser in numbers.
AnswerID: 301157

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:04

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:04
Received at work today. Media release from the Hlth Dept WA.

Department of Health
Government of Western Australia

Public Affairs
Media Statement

29 April 2008

Upgraded warning on mosquito-borne disease in the Kimberley and Pilbara

The Department of Health is reminding people living and holidaying in Western Australia’s north to continue to take care against mosquito bites following the death of a Kimberley resident from Murray Valley encephalitis.

Acting Medical Entomologist Sue Harrington said while the Department had issued warnings for the Kimberley and Pilbara regions in March and early April, this was the first case of MVE in WA this season.

“MVE virus is carried by mosquitoes and, although rare, infection can be fatal or cause severe illness, so it is important that people take precautions to avoid bites from mosquitoes that bred after heavy rains in March,” she said.

“Initial symptoms of MVE include fever, drowsiness, headache, stiff neck, nausea and dizziness and people experiencing these symptoms should seek medical advice quickly.

“In severe cases, people may experience fits, lapse into a coma, and may be left with permanent brain damage or die.

“In young children, fever might be the only early sign, so parents should see their doctor if concerned, and particularly if their child is drowsy, floppy, irritable, feeding poorly or is generally distressed.

”People most likely to be affected by the MVE virus are newcomers to affected regions, such as babies, young children, tourists or new employees, but anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek medical advice quickly.”

Ms Harrington said although the northern wet season was nearly over, the Department was also continuing to receive notifications of Ross River virus and Barmah Forest virus disease.

“There are no specific cures or vaccines for MVE, Ross River or Barmah Forest virus infections so it is very important that people take care to prevent being bitten by mosquitoes, she said.

The warning particularly applies to people living, visiting or camping near swamp and river systems during the evening and night throughout the Kimberley and Pilbara regions.

However, the viruses may be active elsewhere in the north of the State, especially where mosquitoes are abundant.

Ms Harrington said controlling mosquitoes in most rural regions of WA was generally not possible because of the large size and inaccessibility of natural mosquito breeding habitat.

People do not need to alter their plans to visit the Kimberley or Pilbara but it is important to avoid mosquito bites by taking a few simple steps, such as:
? avoiding outdoor exposure from dusk and during the night
? wearing protective (long, loose-fitting) clothing when outdoors
? using a personal repellent containing diethyl toluamide (DEET) or picaridin. The most effective and long-lasting formulations are lotions or gels. Most natural or organic repellents are not as effective as DEET or picaridin
? ensuring insect screens are installed and completely mosquito-proof: use mosquito nets and mosquito-proof tents
? ensuring infants and children are adequately protected against mosquito bites, preferably with suitable clothing, bed nets or other forms of insect screening.

The University of Western Australia will continue to monitor the activity of MVE virus in the region as part of its ongoing surveillance program.

Media contact: (08) 9222 4333
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301174

Reply By: David A A - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:32

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:32
Hi

I heard through family/internet that good old listerine is good for keeping mossies at bay??!!!
Any one tried it, listerine that is.

David
AnswerID: 301231

Follow Up By: Member - Jezza (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 00:33

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 00:33
I can vouch that it's a good treatment for mossie bites - it stops the stinging/itchiness. I'm not sure is it's any good at preventing the bites in the first place...?

Cheers,
Jezza
FollowupID: 567319

Sponsored Links