Rimula-X - on the nose?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:59
ThreadID: 57137 Views:4532 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'd like to get some views from those who may use or have used Shell Rimula-X oil.

Generally since buying our Discovery 300Tdi in 2001 I've used Castrol oils, GTX Diesel/GTD for some time and, more recently, RX Super as I can now get 20L drums for a good price. However, the last two fills have been Shell Rimula-X as Supercheap had 20L drums quite cheap a few months back.

Strange thing is, the Rimula-X smells like EP diff oil when you are handling it and the car stinks like hell for the first couple of days after a change whenever you pull-up and idle. Does Rimula-X always smell like this? Or could I have got an incorrectly blended batch?

Any lubrication gurus out there: if it does mistakenly have EP additive in it, do you think it would be detrimental to the engine?

Thanks,
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushtrek - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:12

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:12
First of all........you should have stayed with the Castrol products if that is what you were using.
Oil is like religion......once converted don't stray.

Now... is the smell of Rimula X a sulphur smell or does it smell like ammonia.
If it is sulphur like then best get it out pronto.
If it's ammonia like that is more of an additive smell and "possibly" Ok but still get it checked.

If the drum has been incorrectly filled (and this is highly unlikely) and you suspect that then keep a sample of the used and if you have some, the new oil. Send these to Castrol and ask them to confirm if it is OK as an engine oil....they will do it for you if you ask to speak with the Technical Manager and explain what you believe is the problem. They can tell if it's engine oil or gear oil by doing a quick Infra-red scan.Takes about 30 seconds to scan and the chemist can interpret the scan in an instant.

If you have had EP gear oil in the engine flush it out with a couple of fills of RX Super by running the engine for about 10 minutes on each fill.
New filter, clean the turbo inlet of any oil and the intercooler and away you go. Don't look back.
AnswerID: 301290

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:37

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:37
Thanks for the advice, Mr Trek. I have a few litres of clean oil left so I'll have a more diagnostic 'sniff' of it next time I'm up at our shed and see if I can identify the aroma as "sulphur" or "ammonia". (Or maybe I'll get the Boss to do it - her sense of smell is much better than mine.)

Might also email Shell with the batch no. of the drum and ask if they've had any problems with it?
FollowupID: 567395

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:20

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:20
Hi Ian,

I use Shell Rimula X as my normal oil (1HZ). I have never noticed any funny smell, it is just like any other oil in smell and feel. Sounds like something is wrong with what you bought!
Mike.
AnswerID: 301291

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:40

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:40
Maybe its the simple fact the Discovery's stink at the best of times :-)

Sorry could not resist :-)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301293

Follow Up By: Thermoguard Instruments - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:11

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:11
He says with a Kamahl-type accent,
"Oh, why are the people so unkind?..."
FollowupID: 567380

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:48

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:48
There's all ways got to be one smart arse in the bunch - hasn't there.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 567398

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:11

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:11
Yep!!! :-)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 567403

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:10

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:10
Its easy to tell the difference between gear oil and engine oil. Rimula X is thin and hypoid style oils are thick, smelly and "heavy". And indeed, as mentioned by another caller, if it smells of Sulphur get it out asap and flush engine. Sulphur has a nasty effect on oil, turning it green and lumpy. Been near a gas plant recently? I have seen (in industrial machines) oil contaminated with SulphurDioxide become a hard lump like very hard soap. On one occasion it caused many thousands of dollars damage.

AnswerID: 301361

Reply By: Thermoguard Instruments - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:02

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:02
Thanks for the replies, everybody.

There does seem to be some misunderstanding though... I don't think my oil actually IS gear oil - it looks and flows like engine oil. It just smells like EP gear oil.

I just checked again this arvo and if smells very similar to a drum of Castrol EPX80W90 I also have in the shed - but "not at thick as some". Therefore I suspect it may be a drum of diesel engine oil that MAY have had EP additive added mistakenly.

I will tomorrow email Shell with the batch no. and ask for an explanation. What I would really like to know is: IF my drum of oil has been erroneously blended with the distinctive 'aromatic' EP additive, might it have caused any damage to the engine??

Ta,
Ian
AnswerID: 301369

Sponsored Links