TPI Veterans GST exemption laws to change

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:27
ThreadID: 57150 Views:15087 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Went to Repco to buy some bits and pieces to service the Jack which are normally GST exempt if you produce the appropriate form duly completed and told by sales manager that this scheme is due to change on 1st July 08. It's administered by the ATO so don't ring DVA and whinge to them as they have nothing to do with it...
Basically the changes are:
TPI Vets will no longer be able to purchase a car GST free unless the car complies with the ATO guidelines and to be provided by "selected" dealers at fleet price. NO 4X4's, no luxury, no cars for touring only for "ESSENTIAL" travel. (sounds like Scroooooby has got into someones ear) the "memeo' prattled on about TPI vets "abusing" the current setup and using GST exempt vehicles for "pleaseure' when the scheme is intended to supply vets with a vehicle only for "essential" travel, what ever that is....
Parts will not be available GST FREE but supplied vehicles will be serviced by "Selected Vehicle Maintenance" providers at some sort of "negotiated" price....
The bloke would not give me a copy of the memo he had recieved.
I took the oportunity to tell the guy to keep his parts and went around the corner, calmed down, checked for casual skirt & went to Super Cheap and got the stuff there cheaper (we always give War Vets trade price said the C O C) than I was going to get it GST exempt from Repco anyway...I have registered my extreme displeasure with the ATO and sit down for a long wait for a response.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:37

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:37
Probably should talk to Kevin 07, your mate and mine I'd reckon. He's the one looking to save money.

AnswerID: 301349

Follow Up By: Member - Carolyn M (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 07:55

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 07:55
As a TPI Gold Card Widow, I don't qualify for the gst exempt but I am going to copy this and send it to my husbands Air Field Defence Guards Association for them to act on. Typical of a government looking to save money while still giving heaps away to non-Australian benefits, as long as they do it with a big cheesy smile we won't notice - but don't get me started on THAT topic.
Cheers
Carolyn
FollowupID: 567499

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:21

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:21
Notso

check out the link ATO

It has Current at July 2007

Richard
FollowupID: 567650

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:53

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:53
I consider such changes to be mean and un Australian.
They don't affect me personally, but for the thousands of ex service personell out there, I feel sorry for them.
Just another way in which we look after those that we owe the most to :((
AnswerID: 301351

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 18:06

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 18:06
I wonder if they will drop the vechile modification part as well??
I am getting assessed tomorrow by an OT for new seats in Darkie so it will be very interesting.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301354

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 22:36

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 22:36
It is very sad to clamp down on people that risk there life for the good of every one of us and the mongrels that made that decision..Here,HereImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 301393

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 23:27

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 23:27
I hope thats not true. But I guess it will be. I've just copied your post Mr. Fawlty and posted the info on to my ex Units web site, and to my VVAA branch secretary. The more that know about this, the more chance of stopping it. First the Carers annual bonus came under scrutiny now this. Talk about hitting those least able to kick back.
AnswerID: 301395

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 01:18

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 01:18
Yep the married Poofs are getting better tax breaks,superannuation, social security, health, aged care etc etc now so i suppose they have to ROB some poor bastard....

AnswerID: 301399

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:54

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:54
The Gestapo Tax Department, will stop at nothing to put the fear of
god into people, we have an exemplary record of having all our returns in before the due date, our book keeper was two days
over due with our Activity Statement, due to ill health, and we got
a please explain and threatened with a fine, we are sick of being tax
collectors for the government, they sit back and rake in all the gst
businesses collect, and then they want to do that to Return Service
people, we are slowly losing our Aussie Heritage and Rights, if you
wear a Tea Towell on your head you get every benefit there is
available. ah well thats life.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 567569

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:30

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:30
Warfer, why should same sex couples not enjoy the same rights as other Australians, and why bring them into this topic when it has little, or nothing to do with them. Except for those TPI members who happen to be "poofs", I wonder how it efects them.
FollowupID: 568411

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 02:05

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 02:05
Hiya Pat

I bought it up because I'd just heard it on the news,The Government (The People, wont even allow gay marriages)
No doubt the do-gooders will squeeze there testicles so hard it will happen..
Its the same ol story rob Peter to pay Paul...

Lets say Patrolman Pat is a Poof so be it...I'd talk to you no probs,I dont agree with it,Heah i am not religious but just think its a dirty filthy act ...

Oh apart from the good looking young Lezzo's...lol

But then again its ok for you to call:
TPI members who happen to be "poofs" lol

You've got your views i have mine thats all mate

Anyway BUMS UP !

All the best...
FollowupID: 568480

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:45

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:45
I am a TPI.

I have sent correspondence, plus exerts of Mr Fawlty's Forum entry to (1) the NSW TPI Association, (2) Wayne Swan (Treasurer) and (3) Joel Fitzgibbon ( my local member).

Shall advise if there are any replies of substance. A mate of mine sent one off to his local member and received a reply which said :

Can't get more helpful than that!!!

If it is correct, I might suggest that they no longer visit places where our troops are operating, given that they send them there, and then rip off any benefits, all the time standing shoulder to shoulder with them for the obligatory photo shoot!

Stay tuned!!!

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301417

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:46

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:46
Aaarrgghhh!! Cut and paste failed ... his reply was:

"Budget is Tuesday 13 May. Suggest you wait till then.".

Jack

FollowupID: 567506

Reply By: Charlie - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 13:51

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 13:51
My dad recently went though a similar thing, once he stopped working he couldn't claim the Tax exemtion for being disabled,turns out you can claim mobility allowance instead.
AnswerID: 301449

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:05

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:05
I recentl spent ANZAC Day with a group of vets at Wyandra. The ones that were TPI didn't seem to be living a life a luxury, just the opposite.

As I suggested to one of the bureucrates when they knocked back an injury claim "I hope your treated this way one day if anything should ever happen to you" didn't that get his blood pressure up.

The people that make these decisions have never experenced what these vets have been through....perhaps they should walk a mile in their shoes first.
AnswerID: 301451

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:26

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 14:26
As a person receiving the above I have sent a very strong reply to Mr Swan. It just shows how low this goverment will go to attack the benefits gained for Veterans over the years. The amount of money the Goverment would gain by admonishing this exemption is miniscule. To say that they are abusing the system is a joke. What are they saying, that a Incapacitated soldier has to buy a base line billycart to get to the shop, but frig his injuries it rides a bit too hard in doing so. This Goverment sucks & no I didn't vote for it !
AnswerID: 301452

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:14

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:14
I also sent a copy of this info to the TPI Assn. Vic. Branch. Guess we'll have to wait 'til May13th. I think that's the date of the Budget. A wise man once said words to the effect of: "The willingness of a nations youth to take up arms on behalf of it's Government, will be reflected in how well that youth see the generation of ex servicemen before them are treated."
AnswerID: 301580

Reply By: Shane (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 01:49

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 01:49
When one looks at this logically why would a big firm like Repco put out a Memo stateing the above (precluding a announcement by the Goverment). I have spoken to the local Repco Manager & he is unaware at this stage of the memo, but will check for me. In regard to the aspect of Luxury cars, a TPI is no different than a normal individual & musy pay the Luxury Tax once the threshold of $57,000 is reached on any vehicle(unless it is wheel chair enabled). In regard to Pleasure, well one could say that having a base model van with a mattress in the back would fall into that catagory. Mr Fawlty would you be kind enough to state the Repco Branch, so that this matter can be researched more. I personally think the Manager is a stirrer, but anything this Goverment does would not surprise me. Managers like this, that release this kind of statement, & add additional stress on Veterans without being kind enough to show them the article do not & should not be in that capacity.
AnswerID: 301601

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:57

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:57
The GST concession on vehicles still exists. I was in contact with my local Federal member, the NSW TPI Association, and a contact at the ATO. The rules were changed last year which said you could claim on spares as part of a service but not beyond that. I guess that means no GST-free bull bars.

The concession for TPIs on new vehicleshas not changed, nor is it expected to, subject to the existing conditions (40,000km or 2 years).

Hope this helps.

Jack

AnswerID: 302357

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 13:37

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 13:37
Interesting, I made an approach to the ATO in Canberra and asked about this, I also mentioned who had shown me what, where & when. The Official response is still coming but the ATO person I spoke to said that though he dealt with such matters he was aware that there were "some changes pending that could not be disclosed untill the Budget was reavealed" he could not comment but said that what I had been shown/told was "not strictly correct" and that "our War Veterans are considered sacred" and that I should not be unduly concerned as the changes that could not be discussed would not "substantially dissadvantage any Australian Veteran"...
So total rhetoric, something is in the wind, what? who knows...
He did say that the ATO will look "Closeley" at my allegation and if true will take action as ALL parts suppliers were OBLIGED to supply parts etc GST Exempt to TPI card holders even if they did not like the extra paperwork involved.
You never were allowed to legally get accesories GST Free only parts required for servicing the vehicle. Technically if you buy a Vehicle and have them install extras (not factory fitted) you are sposed to pay GST on those.
FollowupID: 568524

Sponsored Links