WAECO CDF-35, HAVE I GOT ANOTHER PROBLEM???

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 08:47
ThreadID: 57163 Views:12529 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi, a couple of weeks ago we picked up our new Waeco cdf-35 fridge/freezer, got it home and plugged it in to try it out and it had a problem- the motor didn't cut out and the temp reading was the same on the cool setting as the freezer -27.9 with the ambient at 19, i contacted Waeco and a new one was shipped down to us. now we have plugged in the new one and this seems to have the opposite problem, with the ambient at 18.8 and set on freeze it's only cooling down to -15.4 then the motor cuts out and it doesn't cut back in again until it warms up to -10.2 and on the cool setting the motor cuts out at 7 and doesn't cut in again until it reaches 12.2. these temp reading don't seem right to me with our amient temps (you got to wonder how well it will work in the heat), remembering that it's suppose to run -50 to -45 below amient, so do you think we have another problem fridge/freezer??
thanks from chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: obee - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:26

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:26
I cant help you but I would like to point out that electronic controls are not as robust as the manual variety. Manual thermostats are reletively cheap and simple to replace.

thats my opinion anyway.

Owen
AnswerID: 301424

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:42

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 09:42
hi, i think that you will findout that ours is already a manual control and as it's brand new i don't want to spend money fixing it. thanks anyway chris.
FollowupID: 567518

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:27

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:27
I have the 50L waeco and it has the electronic controller. I have ran mine at -14 in high country as a freezer. Even thou it advertises a below -50 the freezer would not go that low anyway. You will probably find the freezer wont go any lower then around the -16/-18. But what they are advertising is if it was say +35 outside temp your freezer will get down to -15. Thats your 50 variance.Seems to be a bit of a variance between when it cuts out and back in again seems a bit extreme. I take it you have your own temp guage inside the fridge remembering where you have placed it can give you different temps. You will find a bigger variance when the fridge is empty to when it is full as the stuff inside will once cool or frozen depending on how you are using it will help keep the internal temp of fridge down so the temp variance wont be as extreme. Stick the temp guage in your house fridge and see what the variance is. You will be surprised. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 301431

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:35

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:35
Just reread your post. You say it cuts out at 7 on the cool cycle, can you not get it down to say 1 degrees, or does it go from 7 then to the extreme and jumps to -15 ??. If this is the case then there is a problem or is it just a mtter of turning the dial that bit more ?? You will find will a dial control depending on external temps you will some times have this in a different position to get the same temp. Say on a 40degree day you will have it at say 10am on the dial, then on a 20degree day you might have it at the 12 position to keep it at the same desired temp. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567526

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:48

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 10:48
Your new fridges readings are much what I would expect and I don't think you have a problem Chris.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301433

Reply By: gonebush SA - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:01

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:01
hi, we haven't tried it on the different settings just the extremes. i just phone waeco and he said he's not sure it should be ok but i can take it to a service centre to get checked if i want, that's a 2 hour plus drive for us (it's ok if you have fuel to burn). anyway what i'm trying to work out for the sake of argument say if it was a day were the ambient was 20 and it was set on freeze and it went down to -15 then doesn't that mean on a day were the ambient is 35 that it wont reach below 0??
thanks again from Chris.
AnswerID: 301434

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:29

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:29
No what you will find is that the thermostat will have a maximum setting of -15 so it wont go any lower fullstop. When you turn the dial around to maximum freeze if it had a number say on the dial it would have say -15. Wouldnt matter if outside was 0 degres or even -2 if you have the dial at maximum then -15 will be its lowest freezing point set by the factory. We had 40c in the high country and I was still getting -14 no problems, and in saying that that was running straight from my main start battery. Car was getting started daily thou and was running for a fair time through the day. I think you will find the fridge is fine. If it has a built in guage then I would by yourself and external one and check the temps with that. I find my electronic guage on the fridge is out by around 2 1/2 degress and I have had my hand held one calibrated here at work so I know its 100% accurate. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567532

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:32

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 11:32
My FF-35, like circa 2001 or something, will go to -18 no problem. On 45C days in the shade it will get down to -10C but the motor gets very hot.

Still going strong.
AnswerID: 301436

Reply By: Paul Grabonski. Vic - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:56

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:56
Sounds fine to me. When you have product in the fridge and using it under normal use it will be fine.
AnswerID: 301531

Sponsored Links