Cooper Tyres vs BFG's

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:39
ThreadID: 57170 Views:5139 Replies:14 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at travelling to Cape York in June/July school holidays and am about to put on new set of tyres (17 inch for 100 series). Just wondering people's thought on whether I should go for the Cooper ATR or ST or the BFG AT. Have heard that the ST's are great but fuel consumption increases? Both apparently have the triguard sidewall.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:44

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:44
Wasn't this discussed at length about 3 or 4 days ago?

Cooper STs are great???? LMAO .....You should have waited until tomorrow to post that in Friday Funnies thread!
AnswerID: 301466

Reply By: Confucious - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:52

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 15:52
Thanks Shaker,

I should have gone further back to see the same argument on these tyres discussed at great length.

for some reason I can't seem to get the 'search' function to work in this forum?
AnswerID: 301469

Reply By: Gossy - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 16:04

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 16:04
Oh no, now you've done it. Everyone will have their own opinion on tyres and rubbish everyone else to justify their own purchase. As long as you run the correct pressures both will do fine.

I have had BFG's as they came with my Patrol when I bought it. They have done plenty of km's and done fine. I also have had ST and ST-C. Again they have done plenty of km's and also done fine.

I must stress again that everyone will have their own opinion. My only advice is maybe you might want to go for a more aggressive tread than an AT? Cooper ST is classed as AT but a bit more aggressive in it's tread than other brands which is why I went with them. Just my own opinion though :)

Good luck but you won't go wrong with any tyres you mentioned as long as you look after them (pressure, load etc).

Enjoy the trip and the many hours of reading you will get from this forum ;)
AnswerID: 301473

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 16:27

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 16:27
Get BFG's just to shut up the diehard supporters of them ......

Andrew
AnswerID: 301483

Reply By: Hughd - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:08

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:08
It's just like the Toyota-Nissan discussion.....
AnswerID: 301491

Reply By: PMK - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:35

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:35
YAWN!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 301498

Reply By: itsdave - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:56

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 17:56
Just as a matter of interest whilst talking about Coopers does anyone Know if there is any significance between the construction of the passenger version of a Cooper ATR and the passenger version of a Bridgestone 694. Was just wondering whether the Cooper was constructed any better.

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 301501

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 18:15

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 18:15
Serg,

where are you when we need you??

This is the sort of post you need to stop. Not the fuel ones!!

LOL

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 301504

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:00

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:00
There are two main differences between both brands, I have to say that I have only ever used BFG ATs and have really served me well, the last set I took off at 120,000ks and gave them to someone else.. and they used them on their vehicle, I'm not kidding. Thats the thing about BFG's, they wear so slowly that you never ever see the rubber that wears of them.. Then on the other hand and only what i have read on this forum, big chunks can break off Cooper tyres so if you are lucky enough you can pick up all the bits that break off you new Cooper tyres and keep them for investigative work later. The main problem is with so many Cooper tyres used, is you never really know if the chunks you find on the tracks are yours but it is always great to compare chunks and the next campsite with other travellers using Coopers tyres. Its also a great way to meet new friends at camps, swapping chunks and trying to match up the gaps in your treads with the correct chunks. Swapping possible causes of separation of particular chunks and the possible shape of the rocks that caused the damage. The time consumed and the scenarios are endless.
So it is really up to you, if you want to make new friends with the need to replace your beaut Coopers when you return or just want to get to where you are going with out any hassles, the choice is yours.. Warm regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 301512

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:55

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:55
Just to add another twist to the debate. Would you go A/T's or MT's /STT's?
Watched a few DVD's of late on the Cape and mud can be an issue so just wondering.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 301529

Reply By: Member - Mark H (VIC) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:55

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 19:55
I think the main thing is how YOU look after your tyres. I have BFG A/T with no complaints. Was next to a camp the other day and some of the vehicles had Cooper S/T's. One of them had blown 3 tyres on the trip while another with same tyres had none. The one that blew the tyres weighed "around 3.5 to 4 tonnes loaded" and he apparently drove it hard. No wonder it popped 3. The other vehicle wasn't so burdened and driven with more respect.

So, whichever you go with, I believe the driver plays a large part on whether the tyres are good or bad. Cooper or BFG? Like Nissan vs Toyota as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 301530

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:41

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:41
Haven't owned bfg AT so can't comment. But the Cooper ST I just replaced I am not happy with them for my purpose. They started chipping lugs off the first time i engaged low range, literally the first time.

They are fine on dirt roads and bitumen. On rough rocks the compound is too hard and the rubber chips, Coopers are well known to do this. They don't bag down well so aren't the best on sand or mud when low pressures are needed. Nobody uses them here in the Pilbara as they just don't cope with the rough rocks here. People use skinnies or bfg mud terrains.

I think the bfg AT are only 2 ply sidewall, as are the cooper. The bfg mud terrain are 3 ply and are tough tyres. They have aggressive tread that would be good for muddy tracks you may encounter up the cape.

Did you do an archive search Confucious? as this information has been covered many times. Always do a search before asking these type of questions.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 301572

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:29

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:29
Gday Barnsey,
I think you'll find the BFG ATKO are also 3 ply sidewalls. The Cooper ST are only 2 ply.
FollowupID: 567651

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:51

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 09:51
What ever you choose, make sure the tyres are fitted with the White Lettering facing inside !!!!
And check the phase of the moon before you go (this can have a great influence on tyre performance) !!

AnswerID: 301637

Follow Up By: StormyKnight - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 14:50

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 14:50
Whatever you choose remember the following...

Cape york means corrigations which means you want to be able to drop your tyre pressures for both your comfort & your vehicles...any additions to your vehicle are likely to fall off otherwise.

Cape york at the top end also means some sand, so MT's with heaps of tread may be a disadvantage over AT's.

I had ST & they chipped, I currently have BFG MT's with 55,000km on them. They are about 1/2 worn. Some cuts etc but no chipping.

Cheers
"90 series Prado"
FollowupID: 568049

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 16:29

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 16:29
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.
Tyre pressure.