HDJ multivalve, turbo and vacumn line queries

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 12:56
ThreadID: 57259 Views:2650 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What a great site.... just getting into it.
96 GXL multivalve 270K so far, and looking to get to 500K.....
I love my multivalve but.... wondering if any one can help
Hassle 1. Seem to have lost vacumn on both a/c idle up and p/s idle up. Brake boost ok. Vacumn line hoses ok First time I pulled off the small take off line at vacumn pum - no vacumn and the (very) small branch was blocked with black dust (assume pump vane dust). A/c idle up worked a couple of times, then stopped again. Cleaning, blowing, sucking ... no change. P/s idle up still not working. Can get unit to work when sucking (caution, tastes like *%^#^%#) Any ideas ? even thinking vacumn lines, where they cross manifold may have been swapped. (Got injectors changed @ 250K)
PS Any one know what the vacumn line does that goes from air heat element area, across to a switch mounted on side of a/cleaner? Dont seem to get any vacumn out of that either.

Hassle 2 - Very poor off boost performance. Been trying mods as per lcool site. Not a lot of change. Would the above problems affect turbo characteristics ? Several vacumn lines going to pump.

Gregories manual not showing any decent pics or info on any of the vacumn or injector pump setup.

I know I will have to eventually get my "child" to Adelaide for professional attention, ( but I suffer from the tyranny of distance = 500kms) and I hate the walk home.

Thanks in advamce.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 14:01

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 14:01
Just had a look at mine and the switch on the side of the air cleaner will be the turbo light on the dash. The boost pressure travels down the hose and then activates the pressure switch illuminating the light on the dash.
As for the A/C idle up, not sure.

Hope this helps.
Scott
AnswerID: 301984

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:18

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 20:18
Mac,

Also have one of these, but a 97 model. Have had no problems as you have, in fact have never had any problems except an injector pump rebuild just after we bought it, 2nd hand.

Will have a look and see if we can work out anything to help you. If you have black dust near the vac. pump, them I'd suggest part of your problem could be there. However if you had no vacuum, then you wouldn't have any brake assistance either.

Our wagon is a real slug too, under 1,800 - 2,000 rpm. Fitting a 3" exhaust appeared to make some difference, but that may have been more auditory rather actual.

Hooroo,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 302025

Sponsored Links