Has anyone fitted a Lokka diff to the rear of an 80 series GXL

Submitted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 21:59
ThreadID: 57279 Views:6209 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Has anyone out there fitted one of the Lokka rear diffs to a constant 4WD 80 series wagon.
I understand I can't fit one to the front without putting a kit in the transfer case and fitting free wheeling hubs.
As much as I'd like to spend four grand on air lockers the six hundred dollar rear lokka suits my budget.

ps. I can't get the search thing happening for locking diffs does anyone have any hints.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 23:35

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 23:35
G'day Jethro,
There are various thoughts on Lokka diffs in the rear of an 80.

1. Large and laden vehicles tend to suffer from "bump steer" (for want of a better term) through corners...... the diff being locked drives straight, until it overcomes the pre-set loading, it then "unlocks" and "re-locks". Some consider the movement during this process to be excessive and in some situations to be dangerous.

2. A good alternative to the Air locker diff and with a slight modification to driving style, ie .... ease off the throttle entering a corner and a light throttle application on exiting the corner, have no problems with a correctly fitted unit.

Both tyres on the rear need to be the same rolling diameter, otherwise the vehicle will be trying to drive in a circle due to the locked action.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Wayne.

AnswerID: 302065

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:15

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:15
Before I had an Auto Lokka fitted to the front of my 60 series, I did lots of reading on this via the web.
Wayne's 60's comments on bump steering pretty well sum up the experience of most of those I read about when using one on the rear. In particular, there were stories of the effect being very disconcerting on wet or greasy roads and the general opinion seemed to be that while it was manageable, with care, on the rear, it was better just fitted to the front. If you want to follow this further, I found a lot more experience/comment on this issue on USA 4WD discussion spots than Australian sites.
AnswerID: 302079

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:21

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:21
Thanks
They are a great idea if you drive on the farm, but on the black stuff, they suck, they wear the tyres and break the axle studs off, they lockup going round corners up hill, and are down right dangerous in mud and snow, with both wheels locked all the time, you spear off the road as soon as you loose traction. Uneven tyre pressure upsets them, yada yada yada.
Andrew
AnswerID: 302080

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:49

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:49
I agree with Dozer. I should have made it clearer, the reports, I referred to describe the behaviour on slippery sealed roads.
Been very happy with my auto lokka on the front of my 60 series, but that is a very different arrangement to the permanent drive of the 80 series of course.
FollowupID: 568138

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:34

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:34
i agree also and i bet my cousin would too! he fitted one(a budget thing)and hated it,wore tyres badly,kept loosening rear axle bolt,wearing studs etc.if it spends most of its time on the dirt OK,but if not--avoid it.cheers Paul
FollowupID: 568237

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:43

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:43
Still much more expensive than your $600, but $4000 is way off the mark. Rear air locker (ARB) including compressor fitted for about $1800 is closer to the mark.
AnswerID: 302192

Follow Up By: Jethro T - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:02

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:02
Thanks for the help guys, the vehicle is used mainly on the road and the beach so I don't need the extra traction for 90% of the time.

I got stuck going up a hill the other weekend and I'm determined to make it to the top, so I guess I'll just have to spend the cash and start with with one air locker and see if I kill the car of myself first.

Regards
FollowupID: 568269

Follow Up By: Wayne's 60 - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 02:00

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 02:00
Hey Gethro,

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to come back in and say """""""""THANKS"""""""""""""

Many don't and it makes me wonder why I take the time to post a reply to them..

DDDDDDDDDDDrrrrrrrrruuuuummmmmmmmmmmm roll..

Thanks..

Cheers,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 568305

Reply By: matttg - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:34

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:34
Hi,
I have a 4wd Systems auto lokka in the rear of my 80 series and have had no problems. the only time i feel it un locking is on full lock in car parks going 5 kph.
Mine is still full time and I have not had any negative handling effects.
I fitted a air locker in the front at the same time and it has leaked oil through the air line since day one.
I like the simplicity of the auto lokka with nothing to go wrong, switches, air lines, compressors, o rings. They also have a uncontional warranty if a rememeber correctly.
With the auto lokka it is one less decision to have to make (lock/unlock) before every obstacle
In the end Its what suits u best

Cheers Matt
AnswerID: 302227

Sponsored Links